GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the caliper covers are a dull grey, not chrome, and so is the fork cover, ???side to side??? across the front to rear fender. I'm thinking when I get my 12, I'll order the chromed caliper covers for the '01 - '10 and replace them; they should fit; only $35 each. Any comments on that?

The brake disk covers for the front wheel are advertised for 'non-airbag'. What does the airbag have to do with brake disk covers?

I want a good fork brace, maybe the SuperBrace or Kuryakyn. But they also advertise with or without airbag. Naturally, the airbag brace is more money, what's the difference?

The side engine cover, beside the engine guard, is black for the '12, not chrome as in previous years. I like the chrome and it does fit the '12 except the front, flat boss. The new black one has two round boss's at the front. I can make it work, but dealer's price is $150 each side. I'm hoping to get a good discount for two of these when I buy the '12.

There's no air vents in the front fairing. My '04 has two on each side; one lower and one upper. I'm wondering how the lack of cooling breeze is going to work on hot days.

The 12's have ugly grips and there is a wire going them; probably for the heat. How are we supposed to put on quality grips, like ISO's?

My '04 has a storage compartment on the left side of the fairing and I didn't notice one on the '12. Does it have one? Or does it just have the locked one on the right?

As a non-owner at this time, that's my observations. Those that do have them, comments please. What are your observations so far; fit and function; likes and dislikes; etc.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I noticed the caliper covers are a dull grey, not chrome, and so is the fork cover, ???side to side??? across the front to rear fender. I'm thinking when I get my 12, I'll order the chromed caliper covers for the '01 - '10 and replace them; they should fit; only $35 each. Any comments on that?

The brake disk covers for the front wheel are advertised for 'non-airbag'. What does the airbag have to do with brake disk covers?

I want a good fork brace, maybe the SuperBrace or Kuryakyn. But they also advertise with or without airbag. Naturally, the airbag brace is more money, what's the difference?

The side engine cover, beside the engine guard, is black for the '12, not chrome as in previous years. I like the chrome and it does fit the '12 except the front, flat boss. The new black one has two round boss's at the front. I can make it work, but dealer's price is $150 each side. I'm hoping to get a good discount for two of these when I buy the '12.

There's no air vents in the front fairing. My '04 has two on each side; one lower and one upper. I'm wondering how the lack of cooling breeze is going to work on hot days.

The 12's have ugly grips and there is a wire going them; probably for the heat. How are we supposed to put on quality grips, like ISO's?

My '04 has a storage compartment on the left side of the fairing and I didn't notice one on the '12. Does it have one? Or does it just have the locked one on the right?

As a non-owner at this time, that's my observations. Those that do have them, comments please. What are your observations so far; fit and function; likes and dislikes; etc.
The air vents never worked on my 07 and even if they did I thought they were for warm air.
It does have a fairing pocket on the left side but no longer has one on the right. If you get one without a air bag you will now have a locking one where the radio used to be right at the top of the shelter.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
The new plastic covers finished in black or dark grey (especially the front fork covers) add a more modern look to the bike. Parked next to a 2012, the chrome covers/pieces on my 05 suddenly seemed cheap and gaudy looking by comparison. :shrug: JMO

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Kuryakyn makes ones that fit over the OEM so you get to keep the heat,,,,like we need that here...:shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not going to happen.The 2012 covers are different.Honda redesigned the mounts.

The top forward mount on the old ones is flat and the '12 has 2 round boss's. Other than that, they're identical. I swapped one at my local dealer and it fits perfectly. The flat mounting bracket should not be a problem. The round boss bracket on the '12 is a bolt on.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another idea I have is to paint the side covers matching red. I'll be painting the front cowl anyway, so the covers won't cost much more.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The top forward mount on the old ones is flat and the '12 has 2 round boss's. Other than that, they're identical. I swapped one at my local dealer and it fits perfectly. The flat mounting bracket should not be a problem. The round boss bracket on the '12 is a bolt on.
Look at the right long grommet near the coolant cap.It used to be under the knee vent.

Here is the backside of the cover.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The new plastic covers finished in black or dark grey (especially the front fork covers) add a more modern look to the bike. Parked next to a 2012, the chrome covers/pieces on my 05 suddenly seemed cheap and gaudy looking by comparison. :shrug: JMO
I agree the black covers give the bike a lot more modern look and i have decided when i get my 2012 RED air bag model here in the UK (Sept) i am not having any chrome going to have the rear top box rack that is chrome- powder coated in black, black helmet hangers.No chrome trim anywhere will keep the bike modern looking.

IMHO the GL1800 2001 2010 which I have had 7 is now looking old fashioned compared to the new 2012 fresh and modern look..:thumbup:
each to their own

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
It is so interesting how we all see things differently. Neither opinion is right or wrong, just different.

I am not much of a chrome guy, but I do appreciate some well place chrome accents on a motorcycle. Getting rid of the chrome on the side covers, fork protectors, and caliper covers was nothing more than a cost cutting decision, not for styling. And I think it looks cheap. To me, the side covers look like they are painted with primer.

It reminds me of the old GL1500. The SE got chrome rotor covers, and the Interstate got gray painted ones. The Interstate looked really cheap with the painted covers.

I have come to like most of the other styling changes, but those I just can't accept.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
It is so interesting how we all see things differently. Neither opinion is right or wrong, just different.

I am not much of a chrome guy, but I do appreciate some well place chrome accents on a motorcycle. Getting rid of the chrome on the side covers, fork protectors, and caliper covers was nothing more than a cost cutting decision, not for styling. And I think it looks cheap. To me, the side covers look like they are painted with primer.

It reminds me of the old GL1500. The SE got chrome rotor covers, and the Interstate got gray painted ones. The Interstate looked really cheap with the painted covers.

I have come to like most of the other styling changes, but those I just can't accept.
While I can agree that these things were a cost cutting measure.Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Personally after touching these new black parts I can see that they are a much softer plastic and that painting them will be difficult.The painter will decide if they can be painted?.
The paint has to be able to bend with a soft part so it doesn't crack down the road after the paint is fully cured.(they have these paint available-cost is another thing?)

I would of liked to see them painted or color impregnated to match the silver of the front cowls to make the bike a two tone rather than it's three tone scheme as it is.But that's just me.
I think they left the door open for the after market industry to make things to change it's looks to suit each owner.and that is a good thing.

·
Co-Sponsor
444 Posts
If you need any of the parts painted or if you want them chromed.. we can take care of that for you... we can chrome just about anything.. plastic, rubber, glass, leather, metal,fiberglass etc
just contact me or visit our website to see some examples

[email protected]

www.secorbodyshop.com

Jim

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you need any of the parts painted or if you want them chromed.. we can take care of that for you... we can chrome just about anything.. plastic, rubber, glass, leather, metal,fiberglass etc

[email protected]

www.secorbodyshop.com

Jim
How much would it cost to have the side covers chromed at your shop?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

[email protected]

www.secorbodyshop.com

Jim

OK Jim, about what will it cost to chrome the 2 side covers and what's the turn around time.

·
Co-Sponsor
444 Posts
messages have been sent :)

Thanks

·
Registered
19,223 Posts

I am the ANTI CHROME(LIMNCS) but think a touch is needed and for ME I like the engine covers chrome vs black

·
Registered
128 Posts
Another idea I have is to paint the side covers matching red. I'll be painting the front cowl anyway, so the covers won't cost much more.
At Wing Ding a couple weeks ago there was a Honda shop from eastern KY that had taken a new blue '12 Wing and painted the entire bike the same blue. IMHO it made it a MUCH better looking machine....Just a thought....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts