GL1800Riders Forums banner

2012 owners manual says remove seat to remove rear panel

7K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  tulsawalk 
#1 ·
HUH!!?
Why the hell should we have to take off the seat to remove the rear panel & tire?:shrug:

#7 ·
Also tells you to remove the lower cowl to change oil and filter:wrong:
No, it's not wrong. It does give you more access to what you are doing, which you may or may not need. If you have a stuck-on oil filter and you have to get a pair of 18" channel-locks on it, you need the room.

#8 ·
Goldwing owners are usually older people and removing the seat to work on the bike will hopefully remind you that you took something else apart so you don't ride off with something dissambled.
That's as good of a reason as any!

#10 ·
Goldwing owners are usually older people and removing the seat to work on the bike will hopefully remind you that you took something else apart so you don't ride off with something dissambled.
That's as good of a reason as any!

laj, that is funny right there. But how often do you think someone would jump on to go for a ride and think, "Dayum this seat is hard today"?:lol:

#11 ·
Also on the 2012 to get to your battery you need to get into the saddle bag and remove a screw to get the side cover off........WTF

GM

#12 ·
Also on the 2012 to get to your battery you need to get into the saddle bag and remove a screw to get the side cover off........WTF

GM
Maybe to make it harder to steal the battery? Not that I've heard battery theft was a problem; has that happened to anyone?

If any of the side covers needs a screw, it is the engine side covers. Many people have complained about those falling off.

#13 ·
No, it's not wrong. It does give you more access to what you are doing, which you may or may not need. If you have a stuck-on oil filter and you have to get a pair of 18" channel-locks on it, you need the room.
Funny you mention the 18" Channel-locks. That's exactly what I had to do on my first oil change. Guess the last owner thought it neccesary to install the filter with a 1/2" impact gun..lol! I didn't need to remove anything else tho.

#14 ·
Funny you mention the 18" Channel-locks. That's exactly what I had to do on my first oil change. Guess the last owner thought it neccesary to install the filter with a 1/2" impact gun..lol! I didn't need to remove anything else tho.
That' what I needed to get the factory-installed oil filter off at my first oil change. Which I was doing at midnight before a big trip the next day. Thank God for 24 hr. Walmart Superstores - I bought the biggest channel locks they had and that filter came right the heck off.

#15 ·
If you are taking the rear tire off through the center panel the stereo amp must be removed. In order to access the connector for the amp you must remove the seat.

#18 ·
I love WalMart. It was a little hard adjust for them to adjust their car lift to hoist the Wing, but afterthat they did a fabulous job with the oil and filter change.

#19 ·
If you are taking the rear tire off through the center panel the stereo amp must be removed. In order to access the connector for the amp you must remove the seat.
Logical. So, who will be first to try laying the new design on her side for a rear wheel change?

#20 ·
Removing the seat will remind you that you should not ride the bike while working on it.

Some Wing guys forget that, and try riding their wings with all the Tupperware missing.

#21 ·
Reminds me of the story we read in Jr. High school (a LONG time ago) which explained where the expression came from (a LONG time ago) in cookbooks and recipes (a LONG time ago):

"First, burn down the house."

YMMV

#22 ·
The reason they say to remove the seat is so you can disconnect the amp. Don't know if you can disconnect from the back, never tried.

#23 ·
The reason they say to remove the seat is so you can disconnect the amp. Don't know if you can disconnect from the back, never tried.
Only if you want to mangle the inner fender beyond recognition. The amp box actually makes up the back half of the rear inner fender. Wiring to connector for amp is also underneath two of the little foldy down wire bundle clamps under the seat. (ya like that word foldy?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.