GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, this subject has probably been gone over many times so forgive me for bring it up once again. I have a 2012 Wing which I really like except for one thing, the paint job absolutely SUCKS. For some unknown reason Honda did not clear coat the 2012's (first year back in Japan) or at least not the early ones and the paint is soft, scratches easily, etc. etc. Does anyone know what year Honda started clear coating the Wing again? Anyone know of someone that does a really good job of repainting a Wing, especially in the NE Indiana area? THANKS

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2012 and on mine the paint is base/clear. Can't help with a shop in your area as I am in PA, however, if I was looking to do the whole bike I would consider a wrap before painting it. Just because it's different, and fairly durable. Either that or simply Rhino Liner the whole thing. Nothing hurts that stuff!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2012 and on mine the paint is base/clear. Can't help with a shop in your area as I am in PA, however, if I was looking to do the whole bike I would consider a wrap before painting it. Just because it's different, and fairly durable. Either that or simply Rhino Liner the whole thing. Nothing hurts that stuff!
Thanks Bald Yoda, what's the sequence number on yours, its like the last 4 or 5 digits of the vin number? Mine is real early, less than 300, bought it in May of 2011.

·
Vendor
16,809 Posts
It my understanding that metallic colors got clear coated and the other colors did not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It my understanding that metallic colors got clear coated and the other colors did not.
That makes sense as auto manufacturers have done that for a lot of solids for years. Pros and cons for clear coat on solids. Single stage solids can be buffed and touched up a lot more aggressively, but they can tend to oxidize and be suceptible to acid rain spots and some other environmental fallout. 2 and 3 stage wiht clear coats protect the base layer, but clears tend to be a bit softer and show scratches and swirls on dark colors. They can be sanded and buffed, but watch out for the edges on body lines, as if you buff though, on an edge, that nice glossy shine goes away and you don't get it back without painting.

·
Vendor
16,809 Posts
That makes sense as auto manufacturers have done that for a lot of solids for years. Pros and cons for clear coat on solids. Single stage solids can be buffed and touched up a lot more aggressively, but they can tend to oxidize and be suceptible to acid rain spots and some other environmental fallout. 2 and 3 stage wiht clear coats protect the base layer, but clears tend to be a bit softer and show scratches and swirls on dark colors. They can be sanded and buffed, but watch out for the edges on body lines, as if you buff though, on an edge, that nice glossy shine goes away and you don't get it back without painting.
Thanks for sharing that. I know very little about paint.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
.... I have a 2012 Wing which I really like except for one thing, the paint job absolutely SUCKS. For some unknown reason Honda did not clear coat the 2012's (first year back in Japan) or at least not the early ones and the paint is soft, scratches easily, etc. etc. Does anyone know what year Honda started clear coating the Wing again? ...
I have a 2013 and it has clear coat. It was very soft when new but it's hardened up fine. I'm not sure just when it got adequately hard.

If your paint is otherwise good, it might be worthwhile cutting it back with 600 grit and getting an auto spray shop to clear coat it. Since it's not a change of colour you'd get away with not dismantelling it. Remove the seat, screen, antenna etc... Just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts