GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the rear black panel between the saddle bags on my 2012. I see 2 obvious screws on each bottom corner but unsure where to go from there. No service manual available, so help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Does not appear to be a 12 in the picture...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Two screws at the bottom, two screws in the very outer upper corners. Start pulling out at the bottom, and then pull in a downward motion. Also unplug the electrical plug and don't forget to plug it back in before assembly.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two screws at the bottom, two screws in the very outer upper corners. Start pulling out at the bottom, and then pull in a downward motion. Also unplug the electrical plug and don't forget to plug it back in before assembly.
The two at the top, looking under the fender, I think I see them. Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't want to screw this up.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, that really helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
None of my business but why are you taking apart a brand new bike? What are you installing? It took me a year almost to put the trailer hitch on mine and then I was shaking like a dog p**ping razor blades.

There are not a lot of aftermarket accessories out there yet as well as no service manual yet for the bike.

Get to know the machine first before you start tearing it apart. Get Fred's DVDs and get the basic knowledge down first. Lot of money to be taking apart if you ask me and some of the others.:eek:4:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm having the cowl, instrument panel, engine side covers, and the back panel painted to color match the bike. I don't like the blacked out areas.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Please post pics once painted...Which color is your bike?

What about the panniers lowers, are you painting those too?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please post pics once painted...Which color is your bike?

What about the panniers lowers, are you painting those too?
It's red. What are pannier lowers?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I'm having the cowl, instrument panel, engine side covers, and the back panel painted to color match the bike. I don't like the blacked out areas.
I can't wait to see how it turns out.I'm thinking you'll love it!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Are you leaving the silver part of the fairing alone?

I was wondering how it would look with the silver and black panels in a dark red. Maybe a dark red stripe on the front fender and top of trunk.

Please post pictures.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
None of my business but why are you taking apart a brand new bike? What are you installing? It took me a year almost to put the trailer hitch on mine and then I was shaking like a dog p**ping razor blades.

There are not a lot of aftermarket accessories out there yet as well as no service manual yet for the bike.

Get to know the machine first before you start tearing it apart. Get Fred's DVDs and get the basic knowledge down first. Lot of money to be taking apart if you ask me and some of the others.:eek:4:
A lot of us "others" believe that the proper way to get to know your bike or any bike for that matter is to take it apart in an orderly fashion, as soon as is practical. By "tearing it apart" or tearing anything apart is likely to produce an unsatisfactory reinstallation.
By doing some basic disassembly/reassembly you are learning about the bike in a controled enviroment. Garnering some basic knowledge of how it goes together so as when the time comes you can perform routine maintenance.

R

·
0 Posts
Just gotta ask since I have a red 2012.....if you didn't like the new paint styling scheme why didn't you buy a new 2010 with all the great deals that Honda offered? Just asking.;)

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Just gotta ask since I have a red 2012.....if you didn't like the new paint styling scheme why didn't you buy a new 2010 with all the great deals that Honda offered? Just asking.;)
From all the threads that have been posted since the 2012 was released.By far the most comments were "Why is the bike a three tone instead of a two tone?"

Seeing I have a two tone now,I was one of the first to at least think that the bike should of been done as a two tone.

Yes some have said they like the three tone too,But as with everything else not everyone likes it.:shrug:

Personally I like to have something that sets apart from every other bike out there.
That's why I did this to mine.

I think Clev wants a two toned bike too so his stands out.:cool:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Answering a few questions:

The silver part of the fairing was a little surprising; it's not just grey paint, it's actually a nice shiny, grey metal flake and pretty nice.

I'll look at the panniers today, and if they come off easily, they'll get painted as well.

I've had my '04 for ~8 years and as stated, wanted an airbag. I've waited for the new production year and it's finally here. I don't want a '10 that looks identical to the one I traded in. And, I got a great deal. I paid $18,045 out the door for mine in '03 and added ~$1.5k in chrome/accessories. When I hit the deer a couple of years ago, the insurance paid me ~$5k, and I fixed it myself for ~$2k, pocketing $3k. So, after that, I basically had $16545 in the bike. I rode the new one off the lot for $13.5k, so if your looking retail to retail, I got $15k for my trade; a little less if you figure wholesale. I don't know, nor care, how they did it, I made a great deal. Now, just because I'm changing a few things doesn't deteriorate from the quality of the new bike; the lines and look of the bike, handling, power, amenities, etc. are all superb. I just want a better seat and don't like black paint on anything. I'm not the first wing owner to replace the seat. Take a look at all the bikes in avatar's, and even though not repainted, look at all the individualization of chrome and accessories, not to mention ~$3k for Traxxion. Would I be satisfied with the blacked out areas? Absolutely! But I would like it better without them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll be glad when you remove the old bike with the skin on the seat and post new bike,that skin has to go..............want yawl...........................

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL. Function before form. That sheepskin is a real butt saver in south Texas. Can you imagine sitting on a bare vinyl seat in 110 degree heat?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts