GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I just gotta ask this since no one else has. Is that where the term BUTT UGLY comes from? :joke: JK Don't go war eagle over that comment...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
To each, his own; it's my bike, I like it, it's functional, and that's all that matters to me. You fix your's the way you want it an I'll do the same. Also, I find it difficult for someone to refer to something about another members as butt ugly, and then say, "only joking".

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Clev, The panel removal procedure is in the owner's manual, under changing the rear tire.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I need to remove the rear black panel between the saddle bags on my 2012. I see 2 obvious screws on each bottom corner but unsure where to go from there. No service manual available, so help would be appreciated.
Hi Clev,

I need to remove mine also to check out the turn/running light guts.

If you followed the owner's manual for removal of the panel, did the light(s) come out with it, or are there more screws/attachments or ???

Tnx
Mike

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Clev, The panel removal procedure is in the owner's manual, under changing the rear tire.
Thanks, Ed; didn't think about that. I did studiy the Nav and radio book. Anyway, I got it off and took the black parts to my painter; get them back about the middle of next week.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/tclev/paintparts.jpg

I never was any good with photobucket; that's why my avatar is so big. Anyway, here's the parts to be color matched. For those trying to help with the inspection sticker, the picture of the rear panel is there. Notice the recessed license plate area. Hope this picture works out.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Anxious to see the results after the parts are painted. Some of these guys crack me up when then want to rain on somebody's parade if it's not to their liking. I see absolutely no good coming from their comments. I'm sure you'll have a beautiful bike when it's done.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Please post pictures once the painting is done and parts are back on the bike!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi Clev,

I need to remove mine also to check out the turn/running light guts.

If you followed the owner's manual for removal of the panel, did the light(s) come out with it, or are there more screws/attachments or ???

Tnx
Mike
Sorry Cat, I missed your post. If I understood you correctly, the panel slides out from under the tail/brake lights; they're not connected to the panel. The license plate light is mounted to/through the panel and is easy to detach, as is the reflector and license plate bracket.

·
Registered
168 Posts
How are they painting it.

I was told by one of the Body Shops I work for that painting over that textured plastic is a nightmare and might not last (might crack).

Just wondering what your guy is going to do.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
How are they painting it.

I was told by one of the Body Shops I work for that painting over that textured plastic is a nightmare and might not last (might crack).

Just wondering what your guy is going to do.
They painted the cowl on my '04 2 years ago and it looked fine. The painter told me then and now that they have to use a 3-phase process when they paint these custom, plastic colors. It's more expensive than regular car paint.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts