GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Wing and I want to remove a few things to wire in a gps and heated jacket and my question is, is there a set way to remove the few things to get to the left cowling and battery , I have been on a ST 1300 for a long time so i'm familiar with removing tupperware but if anyone can point in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wiring

I just got a new Wing and I want to remove a few things to wire in a gps and heated jacket and my question is, is there a set way to remove the few things to get to the left cowling and battery , I have been on a ST 1300 for a long time so i'm familiar with removing tupperware but if anyone can point in the right direction i'd appreciate it.
I wired in a harness for my battery tender. Since this is my first wing I was a little tentative at first. In the end I just gently pulled the panel off. Since I did not know where the battery was, I took off a panel and followed a wire. Removed the next panel and volia!

I also installed a bellypan that required removal a a few panels. I used caution again, located the screws v grommet/spade connectors and went at it. Just use common sense and don't force anything, too much, and you'll do fine.
bbc

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
tupperware

I just installed my GPS on my new 2012. The black trim piece on the left side snaps on like the older wings.
Carefully pry up on the trim and it will come loose. I used a small screwdriver and a piece of cardboard (to protect the paint).
The top of the strip has a hook on it and the bottom has tabs that lock into the lower fairing.
Just be careful and it will come right off. That also will allow you to remove the left pocket, since part of it is under the trim piece (the left pocket door now comes out with the pocket).
As far as getting to the battery, you can run a stiff wire or a piece of plastic tubing under the shelter toward the left pocket area and then pull your wire.
Or, use the accessory plug inside the left pocket. It is in the same rubber cover as the aux audio hookup.
Not hard, just take your time to avoid scratching the paint.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Are you just wanting to hook the GPS up or do you want the commands to come through your helmet? Everything on the left side removes the same as the earlier models. Right side is about the same except there is not storage box but its still very similar on removal.

If you are mounting the GPS on your bars you can run your cable down the left handlebar by removing the plate on the backside and then running it over under the storage box. This video shows how to remove the box.
gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3406136#post3406136

You can then remove what you need to go back to the battery if you are going that far.

Easiest way is to remove the seat and you can then see what panels come out and how.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
video

Matches, I got a pin striping video when i pasted your thread did I make a mistake,also this is the first Wing for me not too familar with earlier models.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am mounting to the bars, and I want to add a plug for heated gear, I have one open spot on that left panel. Do you think this would be a good spot for that?
And thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you got a pinstriping video you must not have pasted the whole link. The correct video shows how to remove the left pocket.

If you plan to add fog or driving lights the switch usually would go in that open spot.

I would run the plug for the heated gear directly to the battery or add a switched aux fuse box and wire to that. You could also add other things to it later. I would want the plug for the heated closer to my sea. I have mine hanging in the opening to the battery compartment. It is the handhold on the left side below the seat. That panel pulls off easily.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have mine hanging in the opening to the battery compartment. It is the handhold on the left side below the seat. That panel pulls off easily.

THANKS in a big way! i new my battery was thee some where but no idea how to get to it. ipulled the gray cover to find the radiator fill. the cover behind it didn't wiggle off freely so i stopped for fear of breaking stuff. it's been too hot to mess with it...

now about putting a hitch on...i keep waiting for some insight there too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts