GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a heated seat that I am trying to reinstall. I can not seem to align the seat to put the bolts back in. I understand the process and I have done it before but it is always a battle. Any suggestions for making it easier?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a follow up. I have replaced the seat. 3 of the 4 bolts tighten down. The forth acts secure but continues to spin. Has this happened to you? Would you be worried about it?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'd worry...but that's just me. Tells me that something is loose or broken...both bad things in that area.

My next step would be to remove seat (sorry) and insert the "spinning bolt" and see what is really going without the seat blocking your view.

Then figure out how to fix.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd worry...but that's just me. Tells me that something is loose or broken...both bad things in that area.

My next step would be to remove seat (sorry) and insert the "spinning bolt" and see what is really going without the seat blocking your view.

Then figure out how to fix.
Agreed. I even like to take the bolts out and run a tap through the holes followed by some good dry lube. I usually only have to do this once on a new bike and then the bolts are no problem for the life of the bike. These steps can really cut down on future frustrations from cross threading and thread galling that have plagued many DIY owners.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have had it happen. That spinning bolt missed the hole.

I have found that taking the passenger backrest off can help. Only two screws and another plug in connection.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
I'd remove the single bolt and inspect the threads. Also, an awl helps to line the seat bolts up. Unless you have a custom seat that requires special bolts, the best bolts are OEM. Other bolts are made of metal that is more likely to seize, or they have sharp tips that can grab and damage seat material.

If you see nothing wrong with the bolt, and with an awl and flash light your hole lines up, the next thing to do is to remove the seat and inspect the threads. Possibly the threads in the frame are damaged.

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I'd remove the single bolt and inspect the threads. Also, an awl helps to line the seat bolts up. Unless you have a custom seat that requires special bolts, the best bolts are OEM. Other bolts are made of metal that is more likely to seize, or they have sharp tips that can grab and damage seat material.

If you see nothing wrong with the bolt, and with an awl and flash light your hole lines up, the next thing to do is to remove the seat and inspect the threads. Possibly the threads in the frame are damaged.

I use a #2 phillips screwdriver to align the bolts. The tapered end helps center the holes. Also, do not tight any of the bolts until they are all in place. It's odd that three of the bolts tighten and not the fourth.

If the hole is stripped in can be fixed with a Timesert threaded insert.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I put the bolts on one side only about 2 or 3 threads deep with out the handle, then move over to the other side and install the handle with the bolts but not tightened all the way down. Then I go back to the first side and install the handle and tighten the bolts down. Finally, tighted the second side down

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
>CLICK ME<

>CLICK ME<

I replaced my seat bolts with stainless 5/16" and tapped the holes 5/16" all the way through. Plenty of metal there.

Get some 5/16' wooden dowels and cut it into four 12" lengths. Sharpen one end with a pencil sharpener. Put the seat on and run the dowels into the hole. One at a time, remove a dowel and do the bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks, 20-20 vision! I put my seat back on today and it took waaaay too long. I ordered the replacement screws just now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really appreciate your responses. I would rather take a beating that take the seat off again but I know it is the right thing to do. 20 20 Vision, I did buy those bolts and the bungee hooks and they are GREAT.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I siliconed those rubber inserts on the seat in the holes, that made things a lot better, then I tapered the bolts and painted the ends so they won't rust. Tapered bolts are the answer. (if there is one)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I use a #2 phillips screwdriver to align the bolts. The tapered end helps center the holes. Also, do not tight any of the bolts until they are all in place. It's odd that three of the bolts tighten and not the fourth.

If the hole is stripped in can be fixed with a Timesert threaded insert.
I also use #2 Phillips screw drivers to align the 4 holes before installing the handles and bolts. Never had a problem
.... easy peasy.

·
Registered
241 Posts
To remove/install the seat pan , I fully open the trunk. It allows you plenty of wiggle room on the seat pan to remove/insert the front tongues and wiggle around to get the mount bolts in place.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
In addition to: 1.) Making sure the threads are clean (8mm X 1.25), 2.) Using Bolts with tapered tips, 3.) Gluing the Rubber Bushings in position and 4.) Leaving the Trunk Open . . . .

5.) I carry a set of four 1/4" or 5/16" diameter dowels, each about 5"-6" long that I've sharpened in a pencil sharpener. These can be used to align all four holes quite easily and simultaneously. Then slide the passenger grab handles over the wooden dowels and finally replace each dowel with one of the tapered tip bolts.

Reactions: Glockjock
1 - 17 of 17 Posts