GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to sound like a green pea, but..................
I have been riding HD touring bikes for the last 11 years. When I took to the hills above Los Angeles on a bagger I would quite often scrape the boards in the twisties.
Today, a buddy and I were up in the mountains pushing it a little, just trying to see what the bike would do, and to my surprise I started dragging my boot toe. This happened on both left and right curves.
I have not made any modifications to the stock bike.​

So, is this normal, or do I need to adjust the preload on the suspension? Slowing down is not an option!​

I didn't budget for new boots when I bought the bike, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
bbc :22yikes:​

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
When I would ride the twisties I would raise the rear shock to about 22 and keep your toes up. A lot of time you relax your feet without realizing it and your toes hang over the peg and hit the ground, You should be able to drag pegs way before your toes hit the ground.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Just don't hang your toes down

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
BBC
Changing the springs will help alot. Also hang off the bike will also help.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
It is now habit for me to raise my toes a little on the downhill side of the lean when cornering. It is pretty easy to scrape the bottom of the pegs so a low-hangng toe will scrape pretty easily.

Congratulations on the bike. You're gonna love it.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Easiest solution is to put balls of your feet on the pegs. When I'm feeling frisky, not only do I put the balls of my feet on the pegs, I move my feet as close to the frame as possible. That way the peg folding up is less of an issue.

The next step is, as Wimpy said, hanging off. However, I'm too old for that. :oops:

I've actually thought about having a "slider" of some kind made for the part of my boot that drags during the times that age thing keeps me from remembering to switch the position of my feet. :oops:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I think the pegs are thinner on the 1800 than most bikes and your toe is only 1/2 inch from bottom of peg. My 81 gl1100's pegs are at least 1 3/4 to 2 inches thick and I dragged my pegs on the 81 for 30 yrs and never had my toe drag the ground.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It is now habit for me to raise my toes a little on the downhill side of the lean when cornering. It is pretty easy to scrape the bottom of the pegs so a low-hangng toe will scrape pretty easily.
Me too...

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The seating position on a Wing makes your feet end up "toes down" unlike having floor boards on an HD.
As suggested-place the balls of your feet on the pegs when "doing the twisties" and raise the preload up to max.

·
Registered
747 Posts
That happens to me when I'm not paying attention while making a shift during a corner. I know its sloppy riding and try not to let it happen, but sometimes it does. Otherwise, try to keep my feet up. Can't say I ever heard of anyone injuring themselves getting their toes hung up between the peg and the shift lever but if one were to get their foot caught on one of those road reflectors that stick up about an inch; that might smart a bit.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Easiest solution is to put balls of your feet on the pegs. When I'm feeling frisky, not only do I put the balls of my feet on the pegs, I move my feet as close to the frame as possible. That way the peg folding up is less of an issue.

The next step is, as Wimpy said, hanging off. However, I'm too old for that. :oops:

I've actually thought about having a "slider" of some kind made for the part of my boot that drags during the times that age thing keeps me from remembering to switch the position of my feet. :oops:
Paul what i was meaning was useing my upper body. Im like you i cant do the a$$ thing:eek:4::eek:4:

·
Registered
494 Posts
toe scraping,,

I agree with the above guy,
I put-on a Proggressive replacement,spring, on the rear shock.
It did wonders for the twisties,
AND
My SO also says it took the SHOCK-WAVE out of the bigger bumps.
(she likes-it better than the chrome)(Safety chrome)
kennyU
SeatleWA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts