GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it me or does the 2012 volume suck. i had a 2001,2002,2004 wing had the same issue not enough volume through the headsets.then in 2006 it was better in the new wing i got then. then i had a 2008 and 2009 and those were alright at 25 the volume has loud. i picked up my 2012 level 2 this weekend and back to crappy volume. i got j&m 629 headsets the auto volume control on ,you get to 25 it doesn't get any louder. $25,000 for a road sofa and you can hardley hear the radio. anyone else have the issue?

·
Registered
234 Posts
My 2012 seems to have decent volume. I bought new J&M integrated headsets but don't like the sound quality (way too tinny sounding). I boosted the bass quite a bit and adjusted the tremble to get a decent sound and leave the audio level around 18 - 20, and it's more than loud enough. I really like that the level tracks with my current speed, so I don't have to do that...

·
Registered
168 Posts
You must have something adjusted wrong . On my level 2 the volume through the speakers and through the J&M's will blow out your eardrums. There are a lot of different settings. Tinker with them.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My 2012's radio volume is lower than my previous 1800's. I only use headsets. I noticed it's a little louder if we shut off the intercom. I've also noticed the headset volume doesn't increase above 22 even though it goes up to 30. I do agree it sucks compared to other 1800 radios. The CB volume has to be increased also. We run the intercom all the way up at 20. That makes it almost usable.

My wife and I do wear ear plugs and need the volume a little higher, but we never had a problem with the other 4 GL180's we have owned.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The volume on my 12 is more than enough with the J & M 629's. I don't have the volume turned up even nearly all the way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Radio, XM and the Nav system have more than enough sound level but the Intercom leaves quite a bit to be desired; Maxed out and still low...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You haven't got the intercom mute set wrong do you? I have an '05 so if they did away with that control, please excuse my intrusion. If it does have one, run it through the range of its control and see if radio volume comes back up. I know on mine it has to be adjusted if we are riding in high wind because the increased noise through our helmet microphones mutes the radio. Set it too high and you will never hear your riding partner speak on the intercom. A setting that works just fine with the engine off sitting in a quiet location will not work at highway speeds or high winds. Guess that is why Honda gave you a knob to adjust the setting.

The squelch on the CB radio can do somewhat the same thing. Adjusted too "loose" (CCW) and the radio audio will be completely turned off and you would constantly hear the CB radio or background hiss if no CB traffic was transmitting on the selected channel. Adjust it too "tight" (CW) and you will not hear any distant or weak CB signals. This is a common cause when Winger complain that their CB does not have any range (can't talk to anyone that is over 1/4 mile away).

Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts