GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2012 abs with a cruise control issue. When I engage it, the engine surges abruptly, then goes back to where I set it. It happens suddenly, then just as quickly goes back where it should be. Like a quick "blip".
Does anyone else exlerience this?
Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
I remember reading someone else having a similar experience. I'm thinking I will like that over the sag I had with the 03 model.
There is supposed to be an adjustment that can be done. Might check the technical part of the board or have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah, I've had my 2012 level 4 for a little over a month now and it literally leaps in the air when I engage the cruise control. It's much more aggravating than the 2005 I had where it lost 4-5 MPH before gaining the speed back. I believe I read somewhere on this forum that there's a cruise control adjustment under the center tank cowling. Snce I have an airbag model, I don't want to fool with removing the cowling. I'll just wait until it needs it routine minor surgery (12K tune-up) and have Mother Honda adjust it...

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
My experience with this (on pre-2012 models) has been that the barrel nut, that we use in to eliminate cruise control lag, is in fact too long and needs to be turned in a turn or so. If you turn it in too far, you will introduce cruise lag.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My 2012 seems to gain a 1/2 to 1 MPH when I engage and settles right back nicely... and I like it A LOT ..... beats the heck out of the lag I had on my 05 that I could never seem to adjust out and my 2010 that I never got around to trying to adjust out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks----sounds like it's fixable.

Richard---I'll have to look for that barrel nut. I'll let the shop do it, but if it's going to be a trial-and-error thing, it will be good to know how to do it.

Ron

·
Registered
11,183 Posts

Ron, not sure if your cover comes off same as mine, but in this pic you can see the barrel nut (and cab;e) down to the right of the key. Once that cover is off you can ride the bike with it off and make adjustments as necessary.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mind does the exact same thing. Was just thinking I was releasing the throttle as I set the speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts