GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how I made my tail light into being a brake light. I did it without cutting any wires. I simply placed a wire in one of the trunk brake light wire sockets, and ran it down to the open holes in the existing light sockets in the tail lights.The little black rubber piece is a plug that is in the sockets from the factory,I had to poke a hole in them to put the wire through.
Now I'm sure that someone will find a better place to pickup the brake light signal.Thats why I didn't cut and solder any wires yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
You mean the trunk lights are not also brake lights on the 12, as they are in previous years?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Thanks Bro. Just getting ready to do this also.

^^^^^^
Trunks still have brake lights, but the taillight on fender was only a running light.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I believe the trunk lights are run/brake lights but the lower one by the license plate is only a running light, he made those brake lights also

·
Registered
234 Posts
So there are two dual-filament bulbs in the bottom light housing?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Trunks still have brake lights, but the taillight on fender was only a running light.
That's retarded. Cmon Honda - wtf. Necessary mod - good on the OP for doing it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Did mine last week the same way, works great. I was told by a Honda rep., that several countries only allow 2 brake lights. Honda used to disconnect the lower bag lights on export goldwings(2001-2010) before shipping.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the bulbs are now working as tail/brake lights.I bet no one will miss me hitting the brakes now :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was told by a Honda rep., that several countries only allow 2 brake lights. Honda used to disconnect the lower bag lights on export goldwings(2001-2010) before shipping.
That is correct. Down under in OZ our lower tail lights are not connected we have to do that mod ourselves. How stupid is that :wrong:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
:shrug: Looks like Honda is trying to homoligate the Wing for non-US vehicle laws. Is that the same as castration? :shock:

I'd better keep my Wing in the US as who knows what kind of trouble I would be in for having 7 brake lights on the back of my wing. :eek:4:
That is correct. Down under in OZ our lower tail lights are not connected we have to do that mod ourselves. How stupid is that :wrong:

P

·
0 Posts
All the bulbs are now working as tail/brake lights.I bet no one will miss me hitting the brakes now :thumbup:
Very Nice! Gives you an additional safety edge. To really take this a step further, you might want to consider the trunk spoiler with Brake light.

I have one on my 08 and it closely mimics that center high mounted brake light in a car. Cagers are used to seeing it on cars, why not on a MC

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The spoiler has been on back order from DLP since the July 4th sale.It's going on as soon as I get one.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nice mod, I got my blue spoiler from the dealer. He had it in stock now if he can only get my bike.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I guess I'm a bit on the slow side, could someone post some better pictures and detailed explanation of how to do this.? Looks like a great idea, would like to do it to mine. THANKS

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my spoiler from DLP installed now.Its so bright that my camera didn't want to take the picture very well

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I understand the electrical side of this mod. I just can't get the rear fender off. Removed the four bolts (2 top, 2 bottom). The bottom center light fixture won't pull away from the chassis. Are their other screws/bolts holding it in (inside the saddle bags perhaps - I removed a few but it didn't loosen anything)...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Disregard. I found the top two bolts in the fender. I thought the light was part of the fender and previously removed the two bolts above the light. It's off now and I'll proceed...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts