GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fender taillight is only a running light... no brake light.

In checking the part list, I see that the fender taillight has dual filament bulbs.

Sure looks like it was designed to be a brake light also, but it doesn't come on.

Anyone else notice this on their 2012?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

In checking the part list, I see that the fender taillight has dual filament bulbs.

Sure looks like it was designed to be a brake light also, but it doesn't come on.

The 2012 Red center is only a running light.

EC already has a kit that will turn the turn signal bulbs Red when a turn signal ins't used,and then just that turn signal bulb would be Amber if used.

Give it time to let the aftermarket company's make a full Red light assembly that will have dual center lights and red turn signals that tie the lower lights to the Red trunk lights.

In another thread a guy replaced the trunk lights with 06-10 dual clear/red lights that look better too.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^^

Thanks.

Can't be too much to hook it up to work as a brake light also. They should have done this at the factory - or just maybe it's supposed to be a brake light also (why the dual filament?)

.... gotta' love Honda.

5000 pages in the owners manual on how to adjust your radio, proper use of the Poli-grip dispenser and how to store your hemorrhoid donut, but nothing on how to remove the rear fender lens covers :lol:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Look in your owner's manual under, changing the rear tire. Removal of the panel is explained.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look in your owner's manual under, changing the rear tire. Removal of the panel is explained.
Tnx Ed.

I saw that in the owner's manual, but it looks like the turn light / running light assembly is still attached after even doing all this.

I was looking for a easier way, like 'take out 2 screws and lens pops off'. :lol:

Lot of work for a exploratory view. Maybe Honda will come back and say they just forgot to hook it up... bring it to your dealer. (I wish)

Other stuff on the agenda right now, but as time permits I'll give it a look.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I can't tell you how to gain access to the socket, but I can say that it's a dual filament bulb and makes a very effective brake light. One of our motor officers converted his '12 taillight after removing his trunk.

·
Registered
257 Posts

I have a Red 2012 and had the same problem! But I had mine hooked up as a running and break light!:thumbup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tnx Ed.

I saw that in the owner's manual, but it looks like the turn light / running light assembly is still attached after even doing all this.

I was looking for a easier way, like 'take out 2 screws and lens pops off'. :lol:

Lot of work for a exploratory view. Maybe Honda will come back and say they just forgot to hook it up... bring it to your dealer. (I wish)

Other stuff on the agenda right now, but as time permits I'll give it a look.
your in luck........4 cap nuts in the saddle bag and the whole light comes out

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a Red 2012 and had the same problem! But I had mine hooked up as a running and break light!:thumbup:
It would be awful nice of you to open your tail light,take a picture or two and show all of us how this was accomplished

D

·
0 Posts
2012 Tail light to Break light

I was just wondering if anyone figured out how to convert the 2012, single, tail light to function as a break light as well? :shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts