GL1800Riders Forums banner

2012 Toolkit

15K views 41 replies 36 participants last post by  Mattbcnv 
#1 ·
In packing up my Wing for a trip to Glacier i noticed that the tool kit was missing. I thought it probably got left out during set up. I called my dealer and nope! They don't come with them anymore! It's kinda handy to be able to tighten a screw or what ever when you're on the road so i asked them what it would cost to buy a new one. $95.00!! And that's American money! Moving the Wing to Japan must have cost too much to include a toolkit i guess. My questions to the board are , has anybody else been shorted a toolkit? Does anybody market one besides Honda that are decent enough to pack along?

#3 ·
I guess they figure that Wings are so reliable they don't need tools. Actually, that has been my experience.. If something does go wrong, you're not fixing it without parts and a shop. I carry tools for my Harley friends.. They seem to need them much more than my Goldwing buddies.

A little trip to Sears might give you the basics, and better quality than the pot-metal $95 toolkit, and for probably less dollars.

Here's a thread that shows what Fred carries..
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132343&highlight=fred+toolkit

And another interesting one
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244200&highlight=fred+toolkit

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

#4 ·
indawind,
Bummer about the tool kit.
You might also look into some of the Cruztools packages. They have a website and quite a few Internet bike parts stores carry one or more of their packages. Quality tools.
Some packages--giving you the basics, are less than Honda's in price, some comparable in price, but you may get a few more tools with Cruz.
OB

#5 ·
Just another reason I will not buy a 2012. After going to look at them I was not impressed. Lots have been posted on this board about the 2012 pro and con. I suppose I am in the con side too. Actually the wife and I went looking to possible buy a new one. When we left I said if we buy a new one it will be a left over 2010. Maybe next year they will redesign some of the flaws in the 2012 like the top shelter pocket and the radio box and controls. All bad in my opinion. Heck the hidden pocket in the truck is the best place to hide things that most unfamiliar with a wing could find especially if you have carpet in the trunk covering the hidden compartment but now houses electronics.
Please don't take this at any person who has purchased a 2012. If it makes you happy that's what counts this is only my opinion. I just feel its not the bike for me right now. There were other small items like the light height control on the right side. What was Honda thinking?? The looks are not that bad and actually grows upon me but the changes as small as the tool kit and lack of chrome starts to add into a dislike list. And most are correct the tool kit is for Harleys but every now and then a screwdriver might get you out of a jamb and would have been nice to have. The first time my emergency flasher got stuck in the on position a hammer would have been nice. I would have beaten it into oblivion. Maybe that's why a hammer isn't included.
Once again maybe a 2013 or a 2010 is in store for me. Heck I only have 25k on my '02 model so buying another is nothing more than its just nice to have but I really dont need it.

#6 ·
My bike is 9 years-old and I hae yet to use the provided Honda tools so far as can recall. The only thing hady it had in it was a JIS screw driver bit.

prs

#8 ·
my dealer told me last week that the 2012 does not come with a tool kit. he also said they had ordered me one and would mail it to me when it comes in, or i can ride down and pick it up. i've always used the spark plug wrench tht came with the bike on all my bikes since my rd400 in 1978. but i've never opened a tool pouch foir any other reason, particularly on the road. the only selling point for the gold wing for me was the new styling. the 12 does not look old and dated, but new and sleek. chrome is heavy and needs care to look nice and i'm glad the 12 doesn't have it. i really like the black trim! this is just my opinion.

#10 ·
my dealer told me last week that the 2012 does not come with a tool kit. he also said they had ordered me one and would mail it to me when it comes in, or i can ride down and pick it up. i've always used the spark plug wrench tht came with the bike on all my bikes since my rd400 in 1978. but i've never opened a tool pouch foir any other reason, particularly on the road. the only selling point for the gold wing for me was the new styling. the 12 does not look old and dated, but new and sleek. chrome is heavy and needs care to look nice and i'm glad the 12 doesn't have it. i really like the black trim! this is just my opinion.

Plastic chrome is heavy?? :shock:

Claimed curb weight for the 2012 model is 904 – 933 pounds (depending on the trim level), where the most recent Wing’s curb weight was 895 – 928 pounds.

Looks like the Black chrome is 5-9 pounds heavier?

#12 ·
In packing up my Wing for a trip to Glacier i noticed that the tool kit was missing. I thought it probably got left out during set up. I called my dealer and nope! They don't come with them anymore!
Honda did two studies a few years ago and determined that most Wing riders don't perform any repairs or maintenance themselves...hence the lack of a tool kit.

I know, a few of you do but you are certainly in the minority...save the "I do all my own work" comments for another day.

FWIW, one study included shipping out a bunch of bikes with no tool kit...very few buyers ever noticed.

And a couple tire manufacturers told Honda those same riders don't check tire pressure either (remember those free tire pressure checks at rallies - that data went to Honda, NHSTA, and some insurance commissions)...hence the tire pressure monitoring system.

#13 ·
Honda dropped the tool kit on a lot of bikes some time back. My '05 F4i came with a tool kit and my son's '06 did not. The tool kit that came on my '01 GL1800 ain't all that good anyway. I have added to it. JMHO

#14 ·
Tools... a good thing to have some basic tools with you. I have used mine a time or two over the years, sometimes, even on the bike.... (the last time I used them was to tighten a hotel faucet handle).

I don't blame Honda for dropping them, though. 99.9% don't use them. Go make up a basic set from the hardware store, better quality.

My wife's bike, bought used, did not have the kit with it. So, off to the hardware store I went...

Five years now and that kit has never been opened...........:shrug:

#15 ·
Can anyone tell me the last time they were out riding and saw someone on a goldwing using a factory tool kit on a GOLDWING.:shrug:

Honda deleted the tool kit because Wing owners were trash takling Honda about how cheap the quaility was.So they said Screw them! "They get nothing now" lol

#17 ·
#18 ·
I guess they figure that Wings are so reliable they don't need tools. Actually, that has been my experience.. If something does go wrong, you're not fixing it without parts and a shop. I carry tools for my Harley friends.. They seem to need them much more than my Goldwing buddies.
<<< SNIP >>>

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

Harley's...they dont need a tool box, they need a full blown shop on wheels to follow them around...! When ever we have some fund raiser event and get a good turn out, which in most cases is 800 to 3,000+ bikes there is always about 30% that are harley's. And when they come out there is "always" a fleet of tow trucks of the flat deck type picking up ones that drop dead on the road during these rides. NEVER see a Honda on there...well only once a few years ago. The guy had a flat tire...that was it. However harley's...extra flat decks had to be called in as the 4 that followed group that year was not enough....LOL.

It was at one of these event that one the harley guys was just spoiling for a fight or something. The guy started saying to me to go and get a “ REAL BIKE “. I asked him what he considers a “real bike”, and you guessed it…it was a harley. My reply was I have a real bike thank you, and I like to get to where I am go and back without the need of a tow truck following me around and pit crew. That is when he lost it and started yelling at me, tell me…I will have you know that 90% of all Harleys are still on the road. I told him….”I know, the other 10% made it home”. That is when my buddies had to jump in as a fist fight broke out…or should I say was 10 seconds away from turning into on.

It was soon after that, that one of my buddies asked me something which was…” do you know the difference between a vacuum cleaner and a harley”…? My reply was…I do not know…one sucks the other blows…I do not know..? The reply was…its where the dirt bag is positioned. This by the way was told to me by Father Virgil…FATHER as in priest of a church….that type of father. Sadly he passed away just over a year ago now. He was 70 some years old and rode a touring bike like it was some sport bike, he was hard to keep up to, would carve corners that just thinking back would send shivers up and down my spine. Oh...and old age claimed him...not a wipe out...just so you know.

:eek:4:

#19 ·
Harley's...they don't need a tool box, they need a full blown shop on wheels to follow them around...! When ever we have some fund raiser event and get a good turn out, which in most cases is 800 to 3,000+ bikes there is always about 30% that are Harley's. And when they come out there is "always" a fleet of tow trucks of the flat deck type picking up ones that drop dead on the road during these rides.

NEVER see a Honda on there...well only once a few years ago. The guy had a flat tire...that was it. However harley's...extra flat decks had to be called in as the 4 that followed group that year was not enough....LOL.

It was at one of these event that one the harley guys was just spoiling for a fight or something. The guy started saying to me to go and get a “ REAL BIKE “. I asked him what he considers a “real bike”, and you guessed it…it was a harley. My reply was I have a real bike thank you, and I like to get to where I am go and back without the need of a tow truck following me around and pit crew. That is when he lost it and started yelling at me, tell me…I will have you know that 90% of all Harleys are still on the road. I told him….”I know, the other 10% made it home”. That is when my buddies had to jump in as a fist fight broke out…or should I say was 10 seconds away from turning into on.

It was soon after that, that one of my buddies asked me something which was…” do you know the difference between a vacuum cleaner and a harley”…? My reply was…I do not know…one sucks the other blows…I do not know..? The reply was…its where the dirt bag is positioned. This by the way was told to me by Father Virgil…FATHER as in priest of a church….that type of father. Sadly he passed away just over a year ago now. He was 70 some years old and rode a touring bike like it was some sport bike, he was hard to keep up to, would carve corners that just thinking back would send shivers up and down my spine. Oh...and old age claimed him...not a wipe out...just so you know.

:eek:4:
My 2009 Ultra Classic could well have been one of those being hauled away. It got so bad that when I had to called a Harley hauler, I always asked for one with dark tinted windows so nobody could see my embarrassment.

#20 ·
I will tell you that the tool kit that came with my 2002 was used to remove/replace the gas tank while at a gas station in Portugal. Why did I do this you may ask??? I don't speak or read Portuguese, how was I to know that "gasoleo" is not gasoline???

But that was the only time in 10 years I've ever used the tool kit for my bike and it was self induced.

#23 ·
2012s are so much better they dont need a tool kit:lol::lol:
Not only that, does anybody have a $$ figure on how much Honda saved for THEMSELVES by not putting a tool kit in the 2012 ?? or did they pass on the savings to the consumer ? :joke:

What a Poser.:wrong:
Sell the dam thing to someone who WILL ride the bike!:nojoke:

Rocky, I suppose my 2006 with 2500 miles needs to go as well ?

Actually it did go from the original owner to me - when I bought it there were 2370 miles on the odometer. Just a wild guess but at the end of 2013 it MAY have 5000 miles on it.

naw - I don't ride too much, just like to have toys lol

#24 ·
Not only that, does anybody have a $$ figure on how much Honda saved for THEMSELVES by not putting a tool kit in the 2012 ?? or did they pass on the savings to the consumer ? :joke:

Rocky, I suppose my 2006 with 2500 miles needs to go as well ?

Actually it did go from the original owner to me - when I bought it there were 2370 miles on the odometer. Just a wild guess but at the end of 2013 it MAY have 5000 miles on it.

naw - I don't ride too much, just like to have toys lol
Those are the kind I like to buy. I just got an 03 with 19k a few months ago. I wanted ABS and couldn't afford new. She is up to 35k now.

#25 ·
That is a really loaded question. I guess it all depends on what you mean by passing the savings on.

Once a product is built, the engineering doesn't stop. While we as consumers think of engineering as simply building a product and making improvements, or fixing problems. But for a manufacturer, a large percentage of engineering labor is spent simply trying to reduce costs.

The last company I worked for, my last project was to remove a sensitivity switching circuit that was going to lower the cost of building the product by 8 cents. It was deemed frivolous and was determined that customers didn't use it or care about it. It provided no value on the sales floor. Considering the number of these products that were sold, it was going to reduce mfg costs by $80,000 per year on a product that sold for $300.

Does the customer see the cost savings on eliminating an unneeded circuit, or in this case a toolkit? It all depends on what the goal of the reduction was. If the product is not producing the expected profit, no, the customer won't see it. Is it being done because the products pricing is making it less competitive? Then yes, the customer will see a benefit. The benefit may not be seen in lower prices. But it may be seen as a lower inflation price increase the following year.

On a $25,000 bike like the Wing, every dollar they save means $20,000 per year in lowered mfg costs. Even a multi-billion dollar company like Honda likes to save that kind of money.

#26 ·
Here's a tool kit I put together that weighs three pounds ... will do practically anything on the bike, including removing either wheel, and fits nicely in Sears smallest $7.00 tool box. Set tool Tool Wrench

GL 1800 touring tool kit ...

Mini size needle nose pliers with wire cutter.
Aluminum wrench for oil filter.
Hollow handle lightweight 3/8th drive ratchet. Auto Zone
Telescoping magnetic part pickup. small one
1/4 inch drive screwdriver handle. small one
5 mm Allen key with ball end.
6 mm Allen key with ball end.
8 mm open end / box end wrench.
10 mm open end / box end wrench.
Spark plug wrench from original Honda tool kit.
10 3/4 inch X 3/4 inch aluminum tube as extension for ratchet.
( custom made to fit Sears tool box and used to remove rear wheel lug nuts )
Four open end / ratchet end wrenches ... 14 mm, 13 mm, 12mm, 10mm.
(The 13mm is same as 1/2 inch ... for fixing Harleys)
3/8th drive sockets ... 7/8th (for 'Wing front axle), 19 mm (rear wheel lug nuts), 17 mm oil drain,
14 mm, and 12 mm.
1/4 inch drive sockets ... 8 mm and 10 mm.
Three inch long 3/8th extension.
8mm male drive for 3/8th ratchet (can never remember where it's used, might have been on GL 1200 )
1/4 inch to 3/8th inch drive converter.
Magnetic thumb drive for 1/4 inch square and 1/4 inch hex drive.
2 1/5 inch extension for 1/4 inch hex drive.
All fits in this box neatly ... with a couple paper towels to prevent rattles.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00965284000P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.