GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about installing the traxxion on the front forks only? I kinda want it installed for less maintenance if this is true?I have installed a progressive mono tube gas cartridge on my HD Streetglide and it made a huge diffference. The oil/damping system is so outdated. Can someone post a few reply's about maintenance and is it worth the $1,100.00 bucks$$$$ THANKS................

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
As far as I know, the Traxxion front suspension requires the same maintenace as the stock suspension.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
The Traxxion AK-20 forks require the same maintenance as the stock forks and use the OEM slide bushing and fork seals.

Traxxion recommends a fork service every 20K miles or so with the forks. The main concern is the slide bushing wear. The Teflon coating on the copper slide bushing wears off and then there's metal to metal sliding together and that can wear the lower fork leg....which causes a sloppy fit between the lower fork leg and the fork tube which then it will needed to have the lower fork leg replaced.
\
Honda says that the forks don't need any maintenance and some here have reported no slide bushing wear at twice the recommended mileage that Traxxion recommends....but the thing is you won't know the condition that your forks are in, if you don't do a fork service.

I do regular fork services with my bike because my experience has been that Traxxion is indeed right about the forks needing a service at around 20K miles or so.....some will argue against it though and that's fine. It's really up to the owner to decide if they want to keep the suspension on their bike as good as it can be.

Here is what my fork slide bushing looked like at around 20K miles....and O Yea, the Traxxion AK-20 kit was well worth the money with my bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts