GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to change the amber lenses on my 2012 for clear ones but no one can tell me if they are different from the 2010? Can anyone tell me and if so, do you have any recommendations for replacements?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was also thinking about changing mine out. All the ones that I can find for sale in USA are clear lenses.There are some on ebay ($39.99 with free shipping) that are smoked colored,from China,that would better match our 2012 head lights.It says that I would be required to pay import duties and taxes on the lights.I emailed the company over there,but they wouldn't tell me how much the extra taxes would be.Anybody ever bought anything from China this way?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I would love to change the amber lenses on my 2012 for clear ones
I was also thinking about changing mine out. All the ones that I can find for sale in USA are clear lenses.
Unless they have amber reflectors inside them, switching to clear will not make your bike DOT compliant and poses a safety risk.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
How is that? They don't reflect amber when shined upon.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
They are chrome coated bulbs that are amber in color when a turn signal is activated. like these. http://www.stangmods.com/Chrome-Amber-3157-Bulbs-p/00729.htm
I understand that. However - that's not what violates DOT. Per DOT - there must be amber, forward facing reflectors. Stock - these are found in the turn signals - like on most automobiles. If you change them to clear with no reflecting amber, you violate DOT.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
have clear lens and and amber color led bulbs, never in 10 years been stopped for them

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
How is that? They don't reflect amber when shined upon.
You have to install amber bulbs. The lamp will look amber as the optics in the housing makes the lamp look amber when illuminated,
Front park & turn signal lamps can be amber lenses w/clear bulbs or clear lenses w/amber bulbs.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I am not aware of any requirement for amber reflectors on the front of a vehicle. On the side, yes, but I have never seen a requirement for the front. The amber reqirement should be met fine with the reflectors on the sides of the front fender.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Texas

OK...I have now hunted high and low through the internet and all I can find is that a turn signal on a motorcycle has to flash white or amber on the front and red or amber on the back. That is apparently Texas law and as I live near Dallas, I am going to abide by that. BTW, the smoke colored signal lenses are on their way!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
OK...I have now hunted high and low through the internet and all I can find is that a turn signal on a motorcycle has to flash white or amber on the front and red or amber on the back. That is apparently Texas law and as I live near Dallas, I am going to abide by that. BTW, the smoke colored signal lenses are on their way!!!:thumbup:
Let us know how it comes out. Lets see some pics when it's done.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Please don't take me wrong, but dont the turn signal lights (aka "running lights" from my youth) in the mirror backs come on when the bike is running? I know that mine do. So that would complete the requirment for an amber lamp or reflector forward facing on the vehicle. With clear or smoked lenses an amber bulb should be placed to complete the DOT requirment for an amber facing forward signal, to indicate the direction of turns. So if you want it to look clear with the bike off, then install the chrome plated amber lamps in the mirrors. When the bike is on the mirror housing lamps will be amber, unless you install a clear signal lamp in that particular housing.

It depends on the look that you are searching for.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
If interested- google FMVSS, paragrah 108 and you can read all the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for vehicle lighting.

You do not have to amber reflectors facing forward on the vehicle. You are required to have amber sidemarker reflex located in a certain area on the front sides of a vehicle as well as red sidemarker reflex located in a certain area on the rear sides of a vehicle.
There must also be a amber lighted sidemarker to the front sides and a red lighted sidemaker to the rear sides of a vehicle. These may be stand alone lamps or can be contained within other lamps, such as the front park/turn signal and the rear stop/tail/signal lamps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Done

OK....Changed mine out to mixed feelings. When the bike is off I think they look awesome. When its running, not so sure? :?:

You guys decide for yourself!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I understand that. However - that's not what violates DOT. Per DOT - there must be amber, forward facing reflectors. Stock - these are found in the turn signals - like on most automobiles. If you change them to clear with no reflecting amber, you violate DOT.
The factory turn signals on the front of my 2010 Ford F150 have clear lenses with an amber bulb. I'm fairly sure they are DOT approved. Is there a different requirement for motorcycles?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
View attachment 71633
Add On has smoke tint lenses that will fit. Matches the headlights. Haven't ordered them yet. On the list for Dec 25.
Also, I changed the trunk lights from the "BIG" red ones to the 2010 style. Matches the lower tailights.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts