GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I got your attention. I saw a red 2012 last week and that was one beautiful machine, trunk excluded. If I was in the market I would not hesitate buying one. But I am happy with my '06. I still think this plastic makeover is a short term step until the REAL redesign comes out. Much like the 84-87 short term change. What do you think?

G

·
I first saw the pictures in the mags and wasn't really excited. Two weeks ago I stopped by a local dealer and saw two on the floor. Liked it much better in person.

Most likely a short term fix until the next generation comes out, but that is only a guess. Honda keeps secrets better than most. We will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I still agree with your title... Butt Freaking Fugly! :eek:4:

I agree, it's just an interim change... half done... I think they will keep it this for for 3 years at least though. It's a shame.

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
I like the 01-10s looks better. But kinda like the two tone look. Especially the red. I see the model 2-3 years before a REAL new model

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think that the NEXT generation will have the same fairing, bags, and rear lower end with an updated trunk and reworked flat six. Everything else will be the
same as the '12....:shrug::shrug: Only time will tell!!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I've seen all the colors except the Pearl White and so far the new Blue Wing is my favorite. just my 2 pennies worth. While we're on the subject of pennies....better start saving them now to pay for the so called new model whenever it hits the dealers floor. :eek:4:

·
Registered
267 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I spent the last 4 years anticipating the "new" Wing. I will no longer engage in the discussion. I could not care less what Honda does or does not do anymore.

·
Registered
73 Posts
made up my mind

When Honda does two out of three I will buy a new one.
1. Make a trunk that matches the new bags. I like the new bags, but it looks like the designers ran out of time and had to put a new trunk on next years version.
2. Make an electro-hydro center stand, like BMW.
3. Put in a 6th gear, and make it a real OD, not just a little orange light.

A switch selector for: CB, FRS, GMRS would be nice. But my 08 will be in my garage on the day of my funeral unless we see two out of three.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I still agree with your title... Butt Freaking Fugly! :eek:4:

I agree, it's just an interim change... half done... I think they will keep it this for for 3 years at least though. It's a shame.
I love my 08 but the fact is that a goldwing is not beauty queen under any circumstances. It does what it is supposed to do better than other IMHO and is a solid looking machine. It was never meant to be sexy.

Jeff...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ugly

I sat on a white 12 today. I don't care for it and like others I think we are stuck with it for 2 or 3 years.

I liked the white and the front end was ok because it is almost unchanged, and the stern looked exactly like that, the back end of a big not so pretty boat. I did not care for the lack of wrap around lights on the stern.

The salesman kept throwing the selling points of the bike at me: Improved suspension. Fine, I have the full Traxxion. The GPS is now programable. Fine, I have a Garmin 665. Now it has an Ipod hook up in the trunk. Fine, courtesy of The Lovely and Talented Louis of Electrical Connection I also have that in feature in my trunk just like the 12. The 12 has an improved seat. Fine, I have a heated Corbin that is color matched to my Hot Rod Yellow. There is an XM radio built into the 12. Fine, my XM is black, looks good and sits nicely on the left handle bar and I don't mind it a bit.
The 12 has more storage space in the trunk. Me too, I have a pak-It-Rak. There is provision for a new fog lamp that is rectangular and will be more powerful. Fine, isn't that special, now parts guys will be knocking themselves out to make rectangular one's and charge a premium for them (Suggestion to new 12 owners, stick with anything Louis makes for those rectangular fog lamps) and, I already have the EC fog lamps AND PIAA's that go below the fairing. Proven reliable strong 6. Fine, so is the motor on my 01A with 57K miles. And worse, my 01A is paid for. Gosh golly Gee the 12 is a much better bike that 01 through 10. Naaaaaaaaaaa. At 67, I have a feeling my next bike after I put another 50 or 100K of good times on FRISKY will be a Bergman.
Unless.......mother H comes out with a spectacularly redesigned wing in the not so distant future. Time will tell.

And, an unsolicited word about the BMW1600. No dealer network and parts and service are bases loaded, out of the park home run, flat out expensive and for me, that is bad news, and, I gather that ordinary manintence is difficult and may void all or portions of the warranty, and the BMW service departments are notoriously snobbish, bitchy and slow. You know, just like the majority of GS 1200 riders who ride by you with their nose in the air. The 1600 is a fast and fine bike, however, everything else that comes with it is somewhere between a nightmare, a very bad headache and a pocket full of $100's but the pocket has a big hole at the bottom and you just don't know where the money went. Just me always not-so-humble opinion, and I could be wrong.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I love my 08 but the fact is that a goldwing is not beauty queen under any circumstances. It does what it is supposed to do better than other IMHO and is a solid looking machine. It was never meant to be sexy.

Jeff...
HEY! Watch it! My gold ride is super sexy! :p

Whether or not it's "beautiful is in the eyes of the beholder of course. Some may like or dislike any iteration of the Wing. I happen to think the GL1200s were the best looking. But the looks of all of them flowed - things matched and were original designs. For the first time, it seems many agree the 2012 design (looks) is poor and mismatched. No flow. While individual parts may be nice, the combination is an abomination. And for the first time it doesn't looks original - part BMW, part Victory and part Honda. Part new(ish), part old. Doesn't look fresh at all.

But... some like it and are buying it. Sounds like there's a backlog of them. So we get what we get. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I looked at the 12 in person and to me it looks great. I envy anyone that gets one. My 08 is still good as new thanks to Honda making a nice motorcycle, so no need to get the 12 for me though. Why change design? may get a piece of junk, current design is fine with me.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,094 Posts
I still would like to know how Honda gets off calling it a 2012 model when it was made and sold in 2011. The thing about this model good or bad, is that we are stuck with the looks of this model for at least 2 years.....2011 and then 2012...... before any changes, if any will be made.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
When Honda does two out of three I will buy a new one.
1. Make a trunk that matches the new bags. I like the new bags, but it looks like the designers ran out of time and had to put a new trunk on next years version.
2. Make an electro-hydro center stand, like BMW.
More weight, very few have expressed intrest in it.
3. Put in a 6th gear, and make it a real OD, not just a little orange light.
5th is a true overdrive.

A switch selector for: CB, FRS, GMRS would be nice. But my 08 will be in my garage on the day of my funeral unless we see two out of three.
I will agree with you that the trunk and bags do not match. I still think that the 2012 is a stopgap Wing until the economy is doing better. I was very surprised Honda did not start with a all new Wing from the new facility.

·
Registered
394 Posts
very happy with and keeping my '06.
Not crazy about the looks on the 2012, but I did notice an interesting one at Wing Ding. One of the pinstripers had painted the silver sides to match the rest of the red Wing. It did help.
However, not enough for me to get past the mismatched lights between the trunk and below.
Oh well, we'll see what happens in a couple of years.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Iwent on the Hondaline site today and looked at the new wings. I'm not thrilled but I could live with it if I were in the market for a new bike. I was disapointed with the look from the rear until I looked at it in black. It works just fine in black.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I will agree with you that the trunk and bags do not match. I still think that the 2012 is a stopgap Wing until the economy is doing better. I was very surprised Honda did not start with a all new Wing from the new facility.
If a better economy is the standard, we will be waiting for a LONG time. Five to ten years...minimum.

·
Banned
939 Posts
It is a Marysville Ohio RIP distraction.

I am surprised no one mentioned the closure of the Marysville Ohio plant on this thread.

My guess is its all board marketing shenagians via "better put something out there to distract the loyal North American market.

My guess is 2015 at the earliest will be the year for anything worth getting excited about.

I think they should keep the GL1800 with a few surprises and roll out a new baby sister for her. Like a PC800 but with all the love 20 years of engineering brings.

I would be happy to help you design and test drive it Honda. Give me a call. I will work for the minimum octane rateing and a few new bikes.

There is a PC800 in my album if you are loseing your memory and don't rember or just blocked it out be because you missed out and never bought one.

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
I sat on a white 12 today. I don't care for it and like others I think we are stuck with it for 2 or 3 years.

I liked the white and the front end was ok because it is almost unchanged, and the stern looked exactly like that, the back end of a big not so pretty boat. I did not care for the lack of wrap around lights on the stern.

The salesman kept throwing the selling points of the bike at me: Improved suspension. Fine, I have the full Traxxion. The GPS is now programable. Fine, I have a Garmin 665. Now it has an Ipod hook up in the trunk. Fine, courtesy of The Lovely and Talented Louis of Electrical Connection I also have that in feature in my trunk just like the 12. The 12 has an improved seat. Fine, I have a heated Corbin that is color matched to my Hot Rod Yellow. There is an XM radio built into the 12. Fine, my XM is black, looks good and sits nicely on the left handle bar and I don't mind it a bit.
The 12 has more storage space in the trunk. Me too, I have a pak-It-Rak. There is provision for a new fog lamp that is rectangular and will be more powerful. Fine, isn't that special, now parts guys will be knocking themselves out to make rectangular one's and charge a premium for them (Suggestion to new 12 owners, stick with anything Louis makes for those rectangular fog lamps) and, I already have the EC fog lamps AND PIAA's that go below the fairing. Proven reliable strong 6. Fine, so is the motor on my 01A with 57K miles. And worse, my 01A is paid for. Gosh golly Gee the 12 is a much better bike that 01 through 10. Naaaaaaaaaaa. At 67, I have a feeling my next bike after I put another 50 or 100K of good times on FRISKY will be a Bergman.
Unless.......mother H comes out with a spectacularly redesigned wing in the not so distant future. Time will tell.

And, an unsolicited word about the BMW1600. No dealer network and parts and service are bases loaded, out of the park home run, flat out expensive and for me, that is bad news, and, I gather that ordinary manintence is difficult and may void all or portions of the warranty, and the BMW service departments are notoriously snobbish, bitchy and slow. You know, just like the majority of GS 1200 riders who ride by you with their nose in the air. The 1600 is a fast and fine bike, however, everything else that comes with it is somewhere between a nightmare, a very bad headache and a pocket full of $100's but the pocket has a big hole at the bottom and you just don't know where the money went. Just me always not-so-humble opinion, and I could be wrong.
Spot on comments about a nicely prepared bike(yours) and the expensive after the purchase BMW(big money wasted)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts