GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the 2012 and 2010 maps look the same?

Exclude the fact that the 2012 is PC programable.

My only comparison is against my 07 non-NT Navi.

I much prefer the 07 as you had route numbers and a lot of detail on the map. Could also push and hold the handlebar button in to see complete route text.

Could also move pointer over distant city and get POI's for that location.

That 2012 can't do that and only shows any detail, including route numbers till zoomed in to 1 or 2 mile range.

Also no car washes in POI's. Used that a lot.

On a bike built for long distance travel, showing and dealing with route numbers is much more valuable than street names.

Zoomed out all you see is a few lines on a white sheet with no cities shown or know where they go.

I am solidly dissappointed with the 2012 mapping and just wondering if the 2010 and aftermarket units are the same.

PS: You'd better plan on carrying maps on your 2012.

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
It sounds about the same as my 2009. If I zoom out past 1 mile, not only do all the roads disappear, but so do the city names. And you can't hover the cursor over a location and pull up all the hotels or any other POI's there. Most of the time if you are traveling back roads and you zoom out at all to try to get an overview, the road you are traveling on disappears and all the roads around it do too, and what you are left with is a nearly blank screen which is totally useless.

I decided a long time ago that I just have to keep a second GPS on the bike that I can use to locate hotels and for routing and to see better detail. They may have added the routing feature to the 2012, but it still sounds like the detail problem remains, which is just as bad, or worse, as not being able to load a route into it. Furthermore, most all the GPS units I have found that are based on Garmins NT maps loose all the detail when zoomed out. This is another reason I'll never part with my Garmin 376c. On the very early model Garmin GPS units, (like the GPS III and the GPS V) you could actually set the detail level you wanted and the zoom level you wanted it at. Garmin took that feature away a long time ago. Folks have been complaining to Garmin about this for at least 5 years now. The complaints seem to be falling on deaf ears. Personally, I don't think I'll buy another Garmin GPS unless they fix this.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if they switched over to an "ell cheapo" source for maps.

I also wonder if they can change the software to improve that, in the future.

I just love it when she says follow Main Street for 50 miles instead of take Route 102 to the next city.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have been extremely disappointed in the NAVI on my new 2012. I will be mounting some other GPS on the bike.

I still don't understand why I had to pay for NAVI, heated seats, and a stereo to qualify for ABS. I needed ABS. The NAVI is crap and the other stuff is extraneous fluff.

At a minimum, a motorcycle GPS needs to have a touch screen. The lack of detail on the screen is the killer. I have to drive several miles from my home to get to a road that displays beyond the 0.2 mile screen.

The system for creating routes is crap to. I should be able to connect it to MapSource and load multiple routes just like I do with the Zumo 450 and 550.

This is a great bike, but Honda is really messed up in the tiered way they increase the options. I probably paid for $3000 worth of useless stuff to get the ABS.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I absolutely agree on the poor way Honda makes options available. I wanted ABS but ended up with heated seats/grips that have never worked and a NAV system that is woefully inadequate tot he point that I needed to add a second GPS (Zumo) so I cab get some needed functionallty.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I wonder if they switched over to an "ell cheapo" source for maps.

I also wonder if they can change the software to improve that, in the future.

I just love it when she says follow Main Street for 50 miles instead of take Route 102 to the next city.
I very seldom program in a route on either of my GPSs. I usually know at the start of the day which roads I'm going to be traveling on. At least on the Wing I always know what route I'm on and the route number of the road I'm approaching. My Zumo, on the other hand, doesn't ever show you the route number of the road you are riding on. It doesn't know care if it is a major road or a back road, same thing. Three states from home and you go through a city and all it wants to show you are street names. I need to know that a turn onto Route 50 is coming up and all it shows is Clyde Street. How am I supposed to know that Clyde Street is Route 50 in a city I've never ever been in? If I have to go by the route numbers posted on the side of the street, what is the use of having a GPS. Be it ever so simple, as least the Wings GPS will let me know a turn onto a different route is coming up and let me be prepared over a mile in advance for that turn. Nothing like being in a strange city and coming around a turn to find yourself three lanes over from a turn you have to make right now. My Zumo constantly leaves me in that situation. Out in the country it is no better. I love the moving map on my Wing, I hate the one on my Zumo.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tennessee Smith, you can use mapsource to build your routes. I just did some for my trip to Michigan last week. Just build your route then convert to gpx file and download to your SD card that came with bike. Then import them to the gps on the bike. Mine worked great.

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Tennessee Smith, you can use mapsource to build your routes. I just did some for my trip to Michigan last week. Just build your route then convert to gpx file and download to your SD card that came with bike. Then import them to the gps on the bike. Mine worked great.
That's good to know, thanks for posting that.

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Fred, is the 06 navi and the 09 navi the same?
No. The 2006-2008 are the same. 2009/10 got XM weather added, along with a new screen and NT maps, and they operate a bit different.

The menus on the 2012 have changed some as well as the ability to upload routes into it. But I think most of the other functions on the 2012 are the same as the 09/10 bikes. Honda claims the LCD is brighter in 2012, and some of the screens did have a different look to them, but I didn't really see a lot of difference in brightness from my 09. The 09/10 screen is definitely brighter than the earlier 06-08 bikes though, but I just didn't see a big change in the screen on the 2012. But maybe I need more time on the bike to better judge it.

They did paint in a darker lower portion on the meter panel on the 2012 over the idiot lights, apparently in an effort to make them show up better in the sun, by providing more contrast around the lights. Maybe this will help the tire pressure light and OD and cruise indicators show up better in daylight.

·
Registered
104 Posts
OK. So how do you import the file from the SD card? I put the card in, go to the setup screens, and select "Import Data from SD Card". Nothing happens. In fact, the option actually appears to be grayed out. I can read the card on any of my computers. How can I make sure the bike sees the card?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ken,

The SD card needs a folder named Garmin/GPX. Place your routes in the GPX folder and you'll be able to import them.

My bikes Navi has the 2011.31 mapset in it and I have the best results if I create the routes in Mapsource using the 2011.31 Mapset.

The latest Mapset from Garmin is 2012.1.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ken,

The SD card needs a folder named Garmin/GPX. Place your routes in the GPX folder and you'll be able to import them.

My bikes Navi has the 2011.31 mapset in it and I have the best results if I create the routes in Mapsource using the 2011.31 Mapset.

The latest Mapset from Garmin is 2012.1.
Thanks! That was easy.

I read the whole manual and I don't remember seeing anything about creating the path. Either I need to read better or Honda needs to write better. :)

I'll line up my map versions this evening. In addition to the routes, I was able to pull in all of my favorites from the Zumo this way. That will be a big help.

Now, can anyone tell me how to increase the detail level so the local roads show up beyond the 0.2 mile screen?

G

·
No. The 2006-2008 are the same. 2009/10 got XM weather added, along with a new screen and NT maps, and they operate a bit different.

The menus on the 2012 have changed some as well as the ability to upload routes into it. But I think most of the other functions on the 2012 are the same as the 09/10 bikes. Honda claims the LCD is brighter in 2012, and some of the screens did have a different look to them, but I didn't really see a lot of difference in brightness from my 09. The 09/10 screen is definitely brighter than the earlier 06-08 bikes though, but I just didn't see a big change in the screen on the 2012. But maybe I need more time on the bike to better judge it.

They did paint in a darker lower portion on the meter panel on the 2012 over the idiot lights, apparently in an effort to make them show up better in the sun, by providing more contrast around the lights. Maybe this will help the tire pressure light and OD and cruise indicators show up better in daylight.
Fred.... Did you buy a 2012 to go with your 09 Special Edition?

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I have been extremely disappointed in the NAVI on my new 2012. I will be mounting some other GPS on the bike.

I still don't understand why I had to pay for NAVI, heated seats, and a stereo to qualify for ABS. I needed ABS. The NAVI is crap and the other stuff is extraneous fluff.

At a minimum, a motorcycle GPS needs to have a touch screen. The lack of detail on the screen is the killer. I have to drive several miles from my home to get to a road that displays beyond the 0.2 mile screen.

The system for creating routes is crap to. I should be able to connect it to MapSource and load multiple routes just like I do with the Zumo 450 and 550.

This is a great bike, but Honda is really messed up in the tiered way they increase the options. I probably paid for $3000 worth of useless stuff to get the ABS.
You mean to tell me that you cannot load multiple routes on the SD card from RoadTrip or MapSource? If not, that might actually be a deal-killer for me. One of the big selling points of the 2012 for me was not having to install a ZUMO.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You mean to tell me that you cannot load multiple routes on the SD card from RoadTrip or MapSource? If not, that might actually be a deal-killer for me. One of the big selling points of the 2012 for me was not having to install a ZUMO.
Now that I understand the proper path to use on the SD card, it seems to be able to use multiple routes. I will be playing around with it after work.

I believe the only major issue remaining for me is the lack of detail in the maps.

I'd also like to have a touch screen and the ability to make it do stuff when I'm not sitting still in Neutral. And I'd like to see my speed and altitude.

I may still buy a Garmin Montana. I hate to spend that much money. Also, none of my current mounting brackets will work on the Gold Wing. I'll have to do some thinking and some work to get it mounted decently. The GL handlebars are different from what I'm used to.

A $27,000 motorcycle should have a better GPS. If I could have bought ABS without the GPS, I would have. I plan to ride this bike fifteen or more years. This GPS unit will be badly out of date long before then.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Now that I understand the proper path to use on the SD card, it seems to be able to use multiple routes. I will be playing around with it after work.

I believe the only major issue remaining for me is the lack of detail in the maps.

I'd also like to have a touch screen and the ability to make it do stuff when I'm not sitting still in Neutral. And I'd like to see my speed and altitude.

I may still buy a Garmin Montana. I hate to spend that much money. Also, none of my current mounting brackets will work on the Gold Wing. I'll have to do some thinking and some work to get it mounted decently. The GL handlebars are different from what I'm used to.

A $27,000 motorcycle should have a better GPS. If I could have bought ABS without the GPS, I would have. I plan to ride this bike fifteen or more years. This GPS unit will be badly out of date long before then.
I agree that a $27k motorcycle should have the BEST GPS. I should not have to add an aftermarket GPS to get features like speed and altitude. The center glove box lid might make a perfect place to mount a Garmin 665 or similar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My wife has a $50,000+ car with a OEM GPS and it is worse than the one on my Wing..no speed or altitude ether ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts