GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know how to setup a survey. Can someone create one regarding this topic? Maybe questons like: old ride worn out, looks, innovation etc. I can't take the hype that the '12 is so much better then prior years. Points are, trunk is the same with the same paint chaffing issues, seat uncomfortable, wobbles, same suspension that supposedly is not so great right out of the box, etc.. I can afford a '12 tomorrow, not bragging just want you to know money is not the sole consideration. To me this is just a Honda stop gap to get current wing owners to spend money.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Who cares?

Enjoy what you're riding and when you get tired of it buy what you want.

Why try to create a thread to discredit what someone else chose?

I see no other outcome given your biased statement:

I can't take the hype that the '12 is so much better then prior years.
In fact, I don't know of any members here who have made that claim in any type of aggressive manner other than "I like my new bike better..."

To that I say who wouldn't like a new bike?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well, I bought my 2012 because some jerk talking on a cellphone pulled in front of me in downtown, D.C. in Sept 2009 that totaled my 2005 GW. My choices were: go left > oncoming traffic; go right > pedestrians; go straight > hit the jerk. We were stopped at a light and I specifically made eye contact with him (or so I thought). The light changed, he pulled into the interaction and stopped. I started and once in the middle, he pulled out. I wasn't going but 10-15 MPH and managed to slow it down to just a few MPH before the collison, but I still went through my windshield and landed on his hood.
I could have gotten a bike earlier, but my daughter started college and I needed to determine what that damaged would do to my wallet. I've been itching to get back on the bike and am estatic to have a 2012 level four
now (no more going through the windshield)...

J.D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my 12 because the wife wanted ABS. I'm happy with it, I believe the 12 does ride different and better. I've grown to like the back end and will like it better once I get the black painted. But main I got it to keep Mama happy.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I bought mine because my 09 had 80,000miles on it and I like to trade at 60,000 to 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I test rode one and would love to buy it but the wallet and what our government is doing to us is keeping from pulling the trigger on the new one. In my opinon it is a much better ride, but than I am comparing my 01 to a 2012. I still try to talk my wife into it but she is being the voice of reason, which at this point is probably a very good thing.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I bought my '12 because I wanted GW and never had one before.

I guess I could have bought a '10, that looks like the '09, that looks like the '08... you get the picture.

D

·
0 Posts
I just don't like the look - Mine's in great shape and performs VERY well - I did plan to purchase the 2012 - I simply don't like it and won't purchase it. I sure don't like the look of the Vision. I don't want anything that even remotely looks like the Vision. To each his own I guess...

I briefly considered a new 2010, but it was just to get the ABS. I think I'm going to try an advanced skills course first as I get older. (keep the skills up and learn from others)

Just my opinion, but I sure HONDA doesn't keep going the 2012 "design direction."

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
I bought a 2010 in March 2011 because to me the 2012s have an UGLY REAR END

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
:agree: I was looking forward to a new bike and saw the 2012! WTF did they do? :shrug: So then I was going to get a 2010, but have decided to wait and see what next year will bring! They can only improve on this years disaster! :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
When the 2012 first came out, I thought the rear end was unattractive. However, while following a 2012 Wing on US-2 near Duluth, MN a couple of weeks ago, the look started looking much better. It did seem to me that it needed more rear lighting.

I do plan on buying a new Wing, but only when they offer the electronic windscreen. Once you have that, you're hooked!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had a couple bikes. A 08 Wing and a 08 Triumph Rocket3. Job got weird and decided to sell the wing because I still owed some and the Rock was paid. After 10months I realized own much I really enjoyed the wing and my wife wouldn’t ride on the Rocket so I traded the Rocket in a 2012 Wing.
Why 2012, could have got a 2010 for $2500 less? I really like the looks, I like the two tone paint, the redesigned rear end and the look from the front.

What I didn’t like was the squared off box Hondapotamus look of my 08.

If I hadn’t been so worried about the job I would still have both bikes and no 2012.

Both are rock solid, high quality bikes. No way you can go wrong with either.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
When the 2012 first came out, I thought the rear end was unattractive. However, while following a 2012 Wing on US-2 near Duluth, MN a couple of weeks ago, the look started looking much better. It did seem to me that it needed more rear lighting.

I do plan on buying a new Wing, but only when they offer the electronic windscreen. Once you have that, you're hooked!!

I am with you on the looks of the rear saddle bags/trunk of the 2012, its looking better and better, but my 2006 is just about paid for and I will like riding it even better when the payments are gone (I bought it used, with less than 100 miles on it and a couple of years old).

You do know that Windbender offers a great windshield that is electric?
http://www.firecreekacc.com/electric.htm The electric option was a lot more than I wanted to spend right now though.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I do not know how to setup a survey. Can someone create one regarding this topic? Maybe questons like: old ride worn out, looks, innovation etc. I can't take the hype that the '12 is so much better then prior years. Points are, trunk is the same with the same paint chaffing issues, seat uncomfortable, wobbles, same suspension that supposedly is not so great right out of the box, etc.. I can afford a '12 tomorrow, not bragging just want you to know money is not the sole consideration. To me this is just a Honda stop gap to get current wing owners to spend money.
Hype? Just goes to show that everyone takes away something different from these forum discussions.

Based on your post, I think the big difference here is that you are fixated on the negatives of the GL1800, while those that have bought 2012 bikes prefer to focus on the positives. I never even think about the chafed trunk unless it is brought up on the message board. And I haven't really checked to see if my bike wobbles now that it has new tires. I don't really care because I don't ride with no hands. These are no doubt very important issues to some owners. But believe it or not, most owners shrug it off, and don't feel that either one is very important.

There are many new, nice things about the 2012. If you are only interested in a complete redesign, it won't be for you.

1. clear coated wheels. Anyone in the Midwest will really like that.
2. MP3/Ipod player. Judging by all the problems reported with the aftermarket addon players for the older models, not to mention limited functionality, I would say this is a significant improvement for music lovers.
3. Redesigned seat. Is this Honda hype? I don't know, but just sitting on a 2012 next to a 2010 in the showroom floor, you can definitely tell that it is more supportive.
4. Re-tuned suspension. I haven't test ridden a 2012, but so far the reports are that the new bike handles and rides much better. Even Fred H. stated that even though he loves his Traxxion suspension, he would probably not do it if he had the 2012 bike. That's a fairly glowing endorsement.
5. You, like some others, don't like the looks of the new bike. But there are many that do like the new styling.

I could buy the 2012 if I were in the market for a new bike. I don't care whether it sits on the same basic chassis. It has enough improvements that I still consider it a major upgrade from my 2002. My only dismay is that it still doesn't have a power windshield.

Many 2012 buyers are probably coming from GL1500's or buying their first Wing. So to them, this is something completely different than what they were previously riding. And there have been so many updates made to this bike since 2001 that it really is a completely different bike. Those of us with earlier bikes don't even have Navi, heated seats, Premium audio, etc.

Personally, I am torn between the 10 and 12. I need a 2010 so that I can tear it apart and do development work on the audio system for the 06-10 bikes. But I want the 2012 and its new features. It's a fight between business and pleasure.

·
Registered
155 Posts
There are many new, nice things about the 2012. If you are only interested in a complete redesign, it won't be for you.

1. clear coated wheels. Anyone in the Midwest will really like that.
2. MP3/Ipod player. Judging by all the problems reported with the aftermarket addon players for the older models, not to mention limited functionality, I would say this is a significant improvement for music lovers.
3. Redesigned seat. Is this Honda hype? I don't know, but just sitting on a 2012 next to a 2010 in the showroom floor, you can definitely tell that it is more supportive.
4. Re-tuned suspension. I haven't test ridden a 2012, but so far the reports are that the new bike handles and rides much better. Even Fred H. stated that even though he loves his Traxxion suspension, he would probably not do it if he had the 2012 bike. That's a fairly glowing endorsement.
5. You, like some others, don't like the looks of the new bike. But there are many that do like the new styling.

"Well said" Sir! I am awaiting my 2012 being shipped to the UK from Ohio and i have had 7 other GL1800's I have bought my 2012 air bag model without even seeing a 2012, they are not even announced in the UK yet!

IMHO the 2012 could have had many other ideal changes/upgrades but it hasn't so why keep banging on about it? I think like this at least we will not have to powder coat wheels any more, far better music, seats, suspension, etc But don't you think the 2012 is already making the GL1800 2010 and prior look DATED! its almost like the GL1500 when the GL1800 came out:roll:

I like the crisp modern look and style, of the 2012 can't wait!:thumbup::thumb up: Its nice to see someone focusing on the positives for a change.:thumb up:

whatever enjoy your riding.......

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a base (level one) 2001 Wing. I upgraded the suspenion and radio and it rides great.

But, the 2012 rides much better in the twisties. My favorite tarmac is curvey back roads. IMHO the '12 has more ground clearance at the pegs and a lower seat height. The bike has stiffer spring rates from the factory.

There was a slight wobble on the demo wing I rode. But, that can be fixed w/ front bearing torqued or replaced (All-Balls).

I would like to know the best discount dealers. ie Schroaders and Honda of Russelville,AR.....ect. A fly and ride sounds fun!

Thanks,
Mark H.
Madison, WI
PS I rode the BMW K1600's twice and choose to own a Wing

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I am with you on the looks of the rear saddle bags/trunk of the 2012, its looking better and better, but my 2006 is just about paid for and I will like riding it even better when the payments are gone (I bought it used, with less than 100 miles on it and a couple of years old).

You do know that Windbender offers a great windshield that is electric?
http://www.firecreekacc.com/electric.htm The electric option was a lot more than I wanted to spend right now though.
Thanks for the heads up on the power windshield. I've often wondered if they were available, but never checked. It is a little pricy, but I would go that route if I bought a 2012 Wing. However, I will wait to see what happens in 2013.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts