GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if the headlight housing mountings are the same for the 2012 as the earlier 2008-2010. In other words: Can you exchange the black housings for the earlier chrome housings?

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Many questions like this are going to start popping up very quickly. Unfortunately, the answers will not appear nearly as quick. Often, when a seemingly mundane cosmetic appearance gets changed, compatibility changes too. We saw a good example of this when Honda switched to the Euro style taillights in 2006.

Of equal curiosity is going to be....

1. Is the new, supposedly more comfortable seat backward compatible?
2. Are the new and improved suspension components backward compatible?
3. How about the clear coated wheels? (That's a probable yes)
4. Did Honda go back to the 01-05 taillight design, or is this yet a third mounting system?

The seat is my big question. Mine is torn and the foam is shot. I can't spend $1100 on a new aftermarket seat. But I will gladly spend the $285 on the OEM seat if it is indeed better.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
From what I have been reading Honda has changed a LOT of the electrical connectors to a new different type?

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I'm betting when the 2012 parts list is finally out, that seat is gonna be a lot more than $285.00 but, certainly won't be $1,100, I hope!

·
Registered
479 Posts
The seat will not fit the older bikes, someone here posted pictures of the 2012 & older GW's from the side and it looked like the seats have a compleatly different design that will not allow them to be used on any other bikes but the 2012 and later GW's

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The seat will not fit the older bikes, someone here posted pictures of the 2012 & older GW's from the side and it looked like the seats have a compleatly different design that will not allow them to be used on any other bikes but the 2012 and later GW's
Hold on a minute. Just because the pics appear to look different has no bearing on fitment. If the mountings are the same and the seat pan will work......................
I just looked at a 2012 yesterday and the seat looked exactly like prior seats except for the texture of the cover.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Retro Fit 2012 parts

There will be lots of speculation about which 2012 parts are interchangeable with older wings, but until someone volunteers their 2012, (or Fred buys one of his own) to be taken apart, and he has a chance to make a new video or maybe a series of photo's, no one will know for sure!

My guess is, some parts will fit, but the vast majority of them will either be too expensive to come from Japan, or will not fit at all.

Just my .02 here.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Lewis from electrical connection posted some changes and one of them was that the seat IS different, it has different mountings, something about the side covers and the way they attach.
I found his post with some of the changes look at #2

. They have changed virtually every connector with the exception of the front power connector, the rear power connector (trunk interior light), the spoiler and the aux audio input.

2. The seat. If you hated getting your seat on and off on your 2001-2011, be prepared for a new level of hate. I've taken hundreds of seats off on 1800's. This one plain sucks. There are new 'tabs' on the bottom of the seat for the sidecovers. In addition to the self ejecting rubber things that you have to repress into the seat they didn't change.

3. All the connectors are booted now. Should help with dust issues.

4. The lower trunk panel is now 3 pieces sans the trim. They come off MUCH easier.

5. Tail light comes out with 4 acorn nuts. The sleeved washers are sure to fall out when you push the light studs back into their mounting holes.

Note - the new saddlebags WILL attack your clothes. The pointed tail is the culprit.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Hold on a minute. Just because the pics appear to look different has no bearing on fitment. If the mountings are the same and the seat pan will work......................
I just looked at a 2012 yesterday and the seat looked exactly like prior seats except for the texture of the cover.
The seat is shaped diff on sides next to side covers. On 10 back the seat bottom edge is level on 12 it dips down to match the new side covers which mount completely diff.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I doubt that Honda changed a lot of parts on the '12. The way everything is so tightly packaged means that if they change THIS they have to change THAT, and maybe 5 other things.

Honda changed a lot of the cosmetic pieces. The chrome that was on the headlight reflector and the rotor covers is gone, replaced by a satin finish. The side covers are flat black. Obviously a cost cutting move.

As for the headlight reflector now being black, it is a new look.Is worth $500-$700? Perhaps one could remove the headlight assembly, separate the front and rear and remove the unwanted chrome and reseal.

Big question will be parts availability. With the situation in Japan being what it is, parts availability may be an issue for quite a long time, maybe more so for body parts. Hopefully one won't have their bike laid up for a real long time.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I'm betting when the 2012 parts list is finally out, that seat is gonna be a lot more than $285.00 but, certainly won't be $1,100, I hope!
$285 is what the seat costs from HDL for the non heated earlier seats. The heated one is somewhere around $460. The new ones might be more, but should be in the same ballpark.

I know there is a lot of labor involved in a custom seat, so I don't begrudge them for the disparity in price. I just can't justify it, although I have nearly given in a couple of times. (usually right after a long hard trip.) :lol:

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Thanks guys. I suspected as much about the seat. It's hard to say about the headlights, because they look so similar.

This is fairly common. The mfr's are smarter than people give them credit for. They don't want you going out and buying parts you like from newer vehicles. They want you to buy the whole bike. So while it may seem to be counterproductive to make changes in mounting just for the sake of incompatibility, it is obviously worth the redesign expense.

As far as thinking that all the changes were cosmetic, the few pics I have seen with covers and seats off shows that Honda made major changes to the 2012.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When someone finds out about the headlights being interchangeable or not, I would like to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Here's what I'm thinking...

1. Pull your headlight assembly.
2. Rough it up to de-chrome it.
3. Sand it down.
4. Find a nice black paint that you like.
5. Re-paint.
6. Clear-Coat.
7. Re-install.

Should only cost about 4-5 bucks for the paint and about a few hours of sweat equity.

This is something I've been thinking about. Not sure how it would look on the 06 Titanium, but I think it would make it stand out from the crowd a bit.

Thoughts?

Bob

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am thinking the chrome headlights in the 2012 Black Wing. ;)

3. Sand it down.
5. Re-paint.
6. Clear-Coat.
7. Re-install.

Should only cost about 4-5 bucks for the paint and about a few hours of sweat equity.

This is something I've been thinking about. Not sure how it would look on the 06 Titanium, but I think it would make it stand out from the crowd a bit.

Thoughts?

Bob

·
Banned
7,603 Posts

3. Sand it down.
5. Re-paint.
6. Clear-Coat.
7. Re-install.

Thoughts?

Bob
Lens is bonded to the housing. Trying to remove the lens most likely will result in a cracked/broken lens:eek:4:
HEADLIGHT UNIT=$252.55

1 - 20 of 31 Posts