GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pick my 2012 up next week.....is there anyone running a CT on the 2012?

Went to the dealership......laid down on the floor in the showroom and was looking underneath the bike....the salesman asked "what are you looking for?"....I told him, I'm just checking to see if my CT will fit under here....ha ha.... he just shook his head.....said there are a LOT of people running those now....I said yep....and they work GREAT!!!.....

·
Registered
11,183 Posts

Went to the dealership......laid down on the floor in the showroom and was looking underneath the bike....the salesman asked "what are you looking for?"....I told him, I'm just checking to see if my CT will fit under here....ha ha.... he just shook his head.....said there are a LOT of people running those now....I said yep....and they work GREAT!!!.....
gotcha, I had the same question. I thought I had read on here that there was a fitment issue. However, I PM'd one of the expereienced wrenches on here and he told me that the CT would indeed fit the 2012.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gotcha, I had the same question. I thought I had read on here that there was a fitment issue. However, I PM'd one of the expereienced wrenches on here and he told me that the CT would indeed fit the 2012.
When I was looking underneath, I couldn't see anything that would be in my way. I will find out soon.......

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
155 Posts

If CT stands for Car Tyre ? Why would anyone want to buy the latest 2012 HONDA GL1800 GOLDWING which comes with the latest Bridgestones tyres specially developed for the new wing to run in conjunction with the new suspension settings etc.

The making of these new Bridgestone tyres and the research costs alone would have been huge.......

I will definitely NOT be even considering such a preposterous idea on my new 2012 Wing when it finally arrives from the USA to The UK:roll:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
That Falken is one fine tire! I ran a 195 55 16, and it is so much better riding than the standard moto sneaker!:congrats:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
If CT stands for Car Tyre ? Why would anyone want to buy the latest 2012 HONDA GL1800 GOLDWING which comes with the latest Bridgestones tyres specially developed for the new wing to run in conjunction with the new suspension settings etc.
Yes, CT = Car Tire. There are over 1000 wing riders here that are running CTs on the rear of their wings. You just can't tell them dumbazzes anything. But after all, this is the Darkside forum you are posting on.

The making of these new Bridgestone tyres and the research costs alone would have been huge.......
I am thinking it didn't cost as much as you think. It is the same G704/G709 that folks have been using on the wing for years.

I will definitely NOT be even considering such a preposterous idea on my new 2012 Wing when it finally arrives from the USA to The UK:roll:
Enjoy the 2012. And by the way, in the UK running CTs is illegal.
http://www.motuk.com/bike/4-1.asp#Menu_Top

·
Registered
24,624 Posts

Jealous eh??

You all need to have a Boston Tea Party and revolt. Lol!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I was wondering why the 2012 Wing would go to the UK via the USA? Why not just from Japan to the UK?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts

You've been drinking the advertising Kool-aid for too long. Could be the low summer temp over there too. Awwwwwwww, who an I kidding? I'd love to have something below 105 . It's getting old. oh yea, same Stones that have been on the market for quite some time. Nothing new.

You are on the Darksiders site, so wat did you expect LOL

Enjoy the 2012.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
When you get that CT mounted call me. We will give that 2012 a test on some of these Ozark Roads.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts

Wow, someone that actually believes what the Honda spin doctors....errr marketing dept writes about on their new product? :lol:

New "tyres" designed to work with the "new" suspension settings? :lol:

Thanks for the laugh. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
All you have to do is put new and improved on the box!:thumbup::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was wondering why the 2012 Wing would go to the UK via the USA? Why not just from Japan to the UK?
The reason we always import GL1800 from the use to the UK is that when the european model does become available there are some differences , e.g., rear lights, sound amplifier, front speakers,colour, no rear speakers, and no CB loom to name a few. As some of us ride in groups the CB is useful although AM is illegal in the UK!

So we import a USA model not a European model from the US to the UK not a easy task and each year it's getting harder... (had 7 1800's)my 2012 is sat dockside at NY awaiting a sailing to Thames Port London. As its 5,000 miles away it's difficult to control.

There may well be 1000 riding with car tyres on the gold wings in the USA bit firsts its illegal in the UK and second i don't think many riders would consider it on our roads.But if it works for you chaps thats fine.:thumbup::thumb up:

Just want to see mine and get it sorted, there is a lot to do when it arrives its not just like getting one from a dealer.... thats to easy for us USA model wing owners, we have to change a few things

first we have to apply for SVA single vehicle approval scheme
Without this approval, vehicles can't be registered for use in Great Britain.

we have to install a single front facing light on the fairing ( we use a small stick on light) we have to change the indicators... and the hazard lights and are Other small changes. Good that the emissions etc give us no trouble..

Here is the daft part when we apply for a a SVA we can ride the bike to the SVA centre 30 mile from my home. This could be any bike Indian, Russian, what ever (remember the main reason for sva is (UK Road Worthiness ) after inspection and certification, we then have to apply to the DVLA for a V5 log book and Bike road tax registration... Hers the daft bit even though your SVA has come back good you can't ride the bike to the DVLA tax office if they request to see it! So you have to trailer or van it there!

Then after paying for the DVLA V5 and tax disc we can apply for insurance and then finally get the wing on the road as a registered UK bike.When i bough my BMW GSA last September i felt quite spoiled just rolling up and riding away on a taxed and registered new bike lol;)

It will be interesting to see what tyres are shod on the new 2012 European model wing when they announce it in September i believe ? We sometimes have different tyre brands....none of em last long enough on any of my bikes anyway.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When you get that CT mounted call me. We will give that 2012 a test on some of these Ozark Roads.
I'm looking forward to breaking it in.......Tuesday can't get here fast enough.

I don't care too much for the stock windshield...but I was told they changed something on the 2012 and that the windshields from previous years will not work. I'm still checking on this......

·
Registered
89 Posts
BigDerek, all that red tape crap that you have to do, is that because you import the bike from the US or is that standard no matter what?? Sounds like a hellish process.... I sure hope none of the paper pushers here read your post!!

Good luck with your bike, ride safe!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
BigDerek, all that red tape crap that you have to do, is that because you import the bike from the US or is that standard no matter what?? Sounds like a hellish process.... I sure hope none of the paper pushers here read your post!!

Good luck with your bike, ride safe!!
Hi
No as i say if you just go into a honda dealer (which are few now!) you can just ride away on a european spec wing. But any import has to be SVA approved and then DVLA have to give it a reg and tax disc..... all at the cost of the owner of course.

i would have thought you must have a similar thing, what do you chaps have to do if say you imported a bike from the UK like a Triumph or something?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts