GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I just picked up my 2012 and rode for about 3 hours last night. I LOVE this motorcycle! It is very easy to ride, has plenty of power and most important for me, the seat is very comfortable. Every other bike I've owned has made me sore after only 30-45 minutes. On the 2012 GL1800, I was just starting to get sore around the 3 hour mark.

However, there is one problem: the anti-gravity unit doesn't kick in till about 10 miles per hour!

In the parking lot, this thing is heavy! My last bike weighed 560 pounds. The GW is rather more than that. I park on gravel at both ends of my ride and footing is a bit tricky. I'm sure the anti-grav unit will start working better once I get used to the bike, but I'm feeling a bit awkward and shaky at times. I'm thinking of taking the Ride Like a Pro course here in North Carolina over the weekend.

Do you think taking the RLAP course will help calibrate the anti-gravity megatronic isolators? (For those of you who don't know, they are located behind that round thing at the front of the engine.) :joke:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
It is 400 pounds heavier than your last mc, so its gonna feel heavy at first, but it is actually very easy to handle once you get used to it. The center of gravity is very low.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Anti gravity unit

I've owned several bikes but I have dropped the wing four times in a year all but one was related to the kick stand. The forth I was pushing it by hand into a garage. No damage. The first time I dropped it I was pulling in the dealership with my wife on the back. Pulled up to a complete stop put the kickstand down and it flipped back up. So when I got off it fell over. A nice guy ran over and asked if we were ok I said yeah that's the way I always park it. He and I found humor in that my wife however did not!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Wait till you're two-up with a heavy tent trailer out back - your Wing will still handle like a dream. :p

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You will get used to it..........this is the ultimate sled and well worth the extra pounds. Put some heater hose with duct tape on the engine guard, go to an empty parking lot and practice turns and figure 8 for an hour or so, you will be a master. You will then be amazed how a ST1300 or a VTX feels like a bicycle.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Like others said - you will get used to it. One thing that will help in the lot is to get it into 2nd quickly, then navigate the lot with that... mostly just by using the clutch to regulate your speed - leave the throttle alone. Once over 5 or 8mph, it is incredibly nimble - and will be misleading at times as you bring it slower to a stop and are just starting off from a line. With seat time - including practicing just tooling around in a lot - you will get used to it and it will become old hack.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Bring that defective 2012 unit down here to my house. I will make the ultimate sacrifice, just for you! :thumbup: I will let you have my 2004 with the latest upgraded anti-gravity device and I being more experienced on the Goldwing, will take a chance on your defective 2012 in an effort to save you and your lovely wife from all harm and danger lurking in your future. :agree:
It is the very least one friend can do for another!!!! :roll::joke:

Hope to see you soon.

Mike

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Don't let the fear of dropping it even enter your mind. Just ride it the same way you rode the last one. It is still a motorcycle.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I assure you, the antigrav is working just fine. The antigrav controller (it sits between the handlbars and the seat) is the current issue :).

I've had my 1800 (2008, though) for just over a month and the controller is still getting calibrated.

Something like RLaP wouldn't hurt, but time and practice by yourself won't hurt either. I've been working on following some of the recommendations in http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237208.

jason

·
Registered
125 Posts
check out thread on this forum: "Ride Like A Pro and Clutch"

CruiseControl,
First of all welcome! You will love the Wing as we all do here. It isn't a perfect bike, but no such thing exists. It is a master of touring and jack of all trades on everything else (twisties, etc) and a very good 'jack' at that!
I had a 95 Connie before my 02 Wing and I have ridden the Wing sooo much more than I ever rode my Connie (which I thought was a really great bike). Bottom line is if you can only have ONE bike in the garage, the Wing is the one to have.

Now, to your question on anti-gravity...I agree with the other posters here but I would also encourage you to do a search on this forum on "Ride Like A Pro"+"Clutch"...there you will find a rather lenghty thread but so informative. In that thread DJFire (aka Doug Roberts) details a 'third gear' trick that i think you will find very confidence inspiring. It takes away everything (clutch, brake, throttle) by using third gear and idle rpm. Trust me, the bike will ride in a parking lot all day like this and you will be scraping pegs in a tight circle in no time. Once you have mastered this, you can introduce the friction zone (clutch and throttle with trailing brake) by using 2nd gear. Just my opinion.

Matt

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
They sold you the Anti-grav option????

Must have been the same salesman that told me my '06 had radar absorbing composite material and was invisible to traffic radar...

It isn't, and don't ask me how I found out. :evil:

Good get on that new scoot!

Bring it on out here next month and have some real fun with it.

Just click on the link in the sig line to find out more.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Most of the problem I have had is not being able to trust the bike. You'd be surprised how well a Wing handles at parking lot speed. Feathering the clutch and lightly applying rear brake help to stabilize the bike. Maintain enough speed to keep from tipping over. After you've practiced a few hours in a clear parking lot and built more confidence, you will feel more relaxed. That helps, too.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Congrats on your new bike!

Double check the tire pressure with a digital gauge.
.. the dealer might have over inflated them (they often do).

air them according the sticker in the trunk.

IMHO, I find the bike less squirrely at slow speeds
when the tires are properly inflated.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Congrats, I once had a Vstar too.

Any bike this heavy requires care in parking lots. Just take it easy and don't let it get ahead of you. As stated, you'll get more comfortable with it.

I seldom use reverse but once and a while when you get in a tight spot and your footing is not too good the reverse is a blessing.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Like others have said above, time will probably solve the issue. The bike was very heavy to me as well when I first started riding it, now it seems light and easy to move around. Riding and parking on gravel is hard on any bike, the GW will be no different.

I highly recommend the Ride like a Pro stuff. If you master it, you can easily maneuver the GW. I use the techniques all the time. Makes it very easy to ride the bike slowly through parking lots, gas stations, etc. You'll be able to turn around in a very small space, and control the motorcycle well at slow speeds.

My wife can't do it. She doesn't practice it, nor does she try to do it when the time calls for it... so, it takes her the space of a truck stop to turn her bike around. You have to practice it, and actually use it, when the time calls for it, to get good at it.

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
I think after you ride the wing a few months you forget that this is a 900lb bike

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think after you ride the wing a few months you forget that this is a 900lb bike
The Wing is a 900lb bike?!? :joke: :agree:

DJFire's method works great. I went from a 600lb V-Rod to the Wing last year. Now the Wing feels normal, the HD feels like a toy and my mountain bike feels like it's made of paper :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
The anti-gravity modulator does not work until you program the remote start option. Contact Fred H for instructions.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: OP now has 962 miles on the bike and the anti-grav unit suddenly kicked in. Apparently, it only works when the rear tire is moving--doesn't kick in until the AGA (Anti-Gravity-Actuator) sensor rolls around past the hydrostatic eliminator (located under the rear seat). its all good now! ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts