GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Hands on handle bars, yes! and at between 40 to 45 you can feel the wobble just like my 2008 had. After I had All Ball Bearing and a fork brace put on the '08 the wobble was gone! Looks like i will have to do it again with my NEW 2012!!! Come on Honda, FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!
Wobble with your hands ON the bars is not a common problem with the Goldwing. In fact, it is quite rare. If you have this symptom, then you have a problem with your particular motorcycle that needs to be fixed. The most likely culprit is loose bearings, and/or a bad tire. Honda will not cover either one of these fixes under warranty.

Go on any forum, and you will see posts about wobble. In those posts, riders will exclaim that they never had this problem on any of their prior bikes, and members will be pleading, C'mon Yamaha, fix this. C'mon Kawasaki. Fix this. C'mon Harley fix this.

Honda does have a fix for the wobble. It's called an Accord, or a Civic.

It's the nature of the beast. Wobble has existed since the motorcycle was invented. Sometimes there is actually a problem with the bike that needs to be fixed. So you can't just ignore it. You have to evaluate each instance individually. But you can't ever really solve the problem. The best you can hope for is to cover up the symptom and minimize it.

The advent of radial tires that don't wear evenly, poor quality tires, and heavier, better handling bikes seems to have made the problem worse in the past 10-15 years.

Complaining about the bike mfr is pointless and will get you nowhere. The tire manufacturers have to be sat on to force them to start building better tires. Of course, we may not be able to afford them. But that's besides the point.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My new 2012 has a little of the 40-45 mph wobble! It's not as bad as my '08 was! I hope a good fork brace will help, if not I will have the all Ball Bearings put in!!! Anyone else with a 2012 having any wobble issues at those speeds?
If the wobble is present with hands on the handlebars, I would ask the dealer / Honda to address the issue. It appears that you have something more than the classical wobble going on - most likely a tire that is not right. The dealer could swap wheels with a different motorcycle to help eliminate that possibility. JMHO.

[I see Larry was making my point while I was typing the above.]

Ron Fuller

·
Registered
513 Posts
sjones,

have you checked both front and rear tire pressures? if so,are you checking them with a digital tire gauge? if not go to auto zone/oreileys/walmart and purchase you a digital tire gauge --$12.

1) read on the sidewall of both front and rear tire what the maximum air pressure is listed.
2)pump up both front and rear tires to 2 lbs LESS,, cold,than what the maximum air pressure listed on the sidewall.
3)take bike for a ride,see if your decell wobble is any better or the same.
4)if you still have wobble id be doing phone call(s) to the closest Honda dealer to you and tell them what is happening.

I too, would be very distraught paying what you paid for the bike and having the wobblies right off the bat. It is one of those deals,same way with a car, you'll never be satisfied with the bike as long as you own it now. Been there, done that.
Once you get this cured you'll have lots of trouble free miles with the GW, I am sure.

take care,
bc

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had the wobble on my 07, so decided to install the all balls bearing. When I got to the bearing I realized that it was not even snugged up. I turned the nut by had about three full turns.

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
Yea the problem that exists is a 900 lb bike pounding on sub par head bearings and forks. The only fix is TRAXXION

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
My new 2012 has a little of the 40-45 mph wobble! It's not as bad as my '08 was! I hope a good fork brace will help, if not I will have the all Ball Bearings put in!!! Anyone else with a 2012 having any wobble issues at those speeds?
Yours is the first I have read of anyone feeling an sort of wobble.You saying in another post that this was felt with hands on the bars leads me to think you have a tire issue more so than a steering stem bearing issue.

The front forks & triple trees are all new for the 2012.But the bearings are still the same part numbers (I checked)

Take you bike back to the dealer and have them check the tires for out of round.A defective tire is more common on new bike than some would believe.

Guy who reported a wobble on 01-10 wings just replaced a front tire and the problem was gone according to past posts on this subject.

Check the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Laen as usual is full of it. No Trax on my bike and no wobble, ever. Must be so awful to need 2500 dollars of upgrades to ride straight roads.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
What don"t believe.Each year my dealer has one for meand he gives me a good deal. He doesnt even look at my old one. Its at verns in antigo wi. AND i Have a good wife.
THAT explains it. To have no wobble, you must have a "good wife". :joke:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
What don"t believe.Each year my dealer has one for meand he gives me a good deal. He doesnt even look at my old one. Its at verns in antigo wi. AND i Have a good wife.
THAT explains it. To have no wobble, you must have a "good wife". :joke:
Joe.I think what david meant to say is that,if he didn't have a good wife,He'd wobble on over to the neighbors house to ride his wife for a smooth ride.:shrug:

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Check the date on your tires. They probably had some let over 2010 tires and stuck them on your 2012.

After all, it's a 2010 with different tupperware,. Why wouldn't it wobble.
Are the 2012 tires supposed to be better than the ones on the 2010? Just askin'.

The 2012 is far from being a 2010 with different plastic. There were many changes made to the bike.

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Laen as usual is full of it. No Trax on my bike and no wobble, ever. Must be so awful to need 2500 dollars of upgrades to ride straight roads.
Now, Now. Play nice.

Max from Traxxion has come on this board a couple of times and emphatically stated that his suspension will not cure wobble problems.

A poor or worn out suspension CAN cause suspension induced wobble, and rebuilding it with either stock or higher quality aftermarket components will reduce or eliminate that problem. Suspension related wobble only manifests itself on rough, uneven road surfaces. The classic hands off the bars decel wobble that is the source of a lot of complaints happens on any road surface.

But there are many things that induce wobble. If the suspension isn't causing the wobble in the first place, replacing it won't fix the problem.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sjones.........I had a similar problem with my 09, it was the tires, my fault but it was the tires. Check to see if you have any scalloping on the rear tire, might be running a little low on pressure.

I changed my Dunflops at 3000 miles to stones and the problem went away, it was because "I" ran the tires for a few hundred miles, 2 up, low on pressure and it scalloped the rear tire, which created the front end wobble. I now have over 3K on the Stones (2k as 2 up) and I still don't have any wobble...............I have done nothing else other than change the tires and run them at 41 psi.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Now, Now. Play nice.

But there are many things that induce wobble. If the suspension isn't causing the wobble in the first place, replacing it won't fix the problem.
May not always fix the wobble but it sure cures a bunch of other problems and along the way my wobble disappeared as well:).

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
04 Wing

04 Wing here and I get a slight wobble with both hands off the grips. But if I even lay my hand on top of the grip, she will decel all the way down to a stop without a wobble. I just don't take my hands off the grips and don't worry about the wobble that never comes up with my hands on the grips.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Put bike on center-stand and idle in first gear looking at the rear tire, mine was defective from the factory and caused a wobble from day one.

Replaced rear tire and wobble was and is gone.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The 12s will develop the wobble just like the previous 1800s. No new fixes here.
Suck it up & replace the bearings.
Roadhand, that sounds like a plan to me!!! It cured my wobble on my '08!!! When I said I had the wobble with hands on the bars, what I should have said was I just barely put weight on the bars, just finger tips and had the deceleration wobble at around 40 to 45 mph. I just think I need the Alls Balls Bearings and a good fork brace!!! Should solve my wobble problem? I hope!!!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.