GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to say I am not happy with the design of the 2012. I bought a new 2010 instead. I think if Mother Honda was really paying attention and wanted to stay at the top of the touring market, they will be making some sweeping changes to the bike. The trike market seems to be going hot. But there is a glut of trikes for sale with large price tags. IMHO if CanAM built a roadster with a Honda drive train, I would likely buy it. Just saying:shrug:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Good choice. You got one of the last of the best ones. Congratulations! :cool:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got to say I am not happy with the design of the 2012. I bought a new 2010 instead. I think if Mother Honda was really paying attention and wanted to stay at the top of the touring market, they will be making some sweeping changes to the bike. The trike market seems to be going hot. But there is a glut of trikes for sale with large price tags. IMHO if CanAM built a roadster with a Honda drive train, I would likely buy it. Just saying:shrug:

Looking at the rear of the 12's it is butt ugly.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I think Honda is willing to cede 15% of the touring market share to BMW or others in exchange for what they are saving on the cost of developing a new Wing. How much more would it have cost Honda to re-design the trunk to match the saddlebags? If they had done that, people might be bitching about no electric windscreen, but they would not be complaining about the bike being ugly.

BTW, while at the Honda dealer yesterday they had the new Goldwings parked right next to the Furys. No comparison on fit and finish. The paint on the tank of the Fury had obviously been wet sanded and buffed. NO orange peel whatsoever.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did you take the 2012 for a ride? If not you should have. I rode a new 2010 and didnt think it was any different than my 02. Then rode the 2012 and bought one same day. Huge difference in ride and handling.Just sayin.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Got my 08 pretty much where I want it - upgraded suspension and some other extras - smooth as butta...... eats the twisties like a hungry dog. Big smile every time I take her out and sad when the ride comes to and end. Not looking to upgrade.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Went in the same direction. I couldn't wrap my head around the 12. So I replaced my 05 yellow with a 10 yel.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I think Honda is willing to cede 15% of the touring market share to BMW or others in exchange for what they are saving on the cost of developing a new Wing. How much more would it have cost Honda to re-design the trunk to match the saddlebags? If they had done that, people might be bitching about no electric windscreen, but they would not be complaining about the bike being ugly.
15%? Holy smokes. They don't even have 1% of the market now!

Every time a redesign of a bike comes out, there are always going to be some that aren't going to like it and call it butt ugly. But the 2012 bike is selling, and many are now saying they do like it. So while you may wish and and even predict that the new bike flops and that BMW will somehow magically take over the touring market overnight to teach Honda a lesson, the reality is that it just ain't going to happen. The only thing that will happen is that everyone will move on without you. A year from now, the 2012 will have been a success, a lot of new owners will be thrilled with their 2012 Goldwings, and BMW will still have a 1% market share.

There are many GL1500 owners out there that hated the GL1800 from day one, and to this day have held out on their convictions still believing that the GL1800 will be a failure, still riding their GL1500's and waiting for a replacement.

I'm not thrilled with the looks of the 2012. But when I ponder the options out there, it looks better and better to me every day.

·
Registered
168 Posts
After seeing this thread and the 50 other threads on this I feel I will add my take on the matter.

I usually ride a bagger or a cruiser. I never liked the look of a Goldwing. Then the 2012 came out. It changed my mind. So I bought a 2012.

No matter where I ride it EVERYONE loves it and says it looks terrific. Better than any of the older Goldwings.

I have a ton of friends who ride all different types of Bikes and they all said they would never buy a Wing. ALL of them now want my Wing.

So yea, I'm not seeing or hearing anything negative about the 2012 except on the "Internet". In real life, everyone that sees or rides my 2012 falls in love with it.

That being said.......Who cares. Ride what you like, buy what you like.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Bought a 2010, if a 2012 floats your boat-let's go sailing

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Hey decide what you want dont leave it up to others to decide for you.
You may not like their choice after you get it and ride :eek:4::eek:4::eek:4:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
BMW isn't a threat to the Wing. Nothing else is either IMO. You want a touring bike the Wing is still the standard to beat.
You want Sport Touring, then it has competition.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
After seeing this thread and the 50 other threads on this I feel I will add my take on the matter.

No matter where I ride it EVERYONE loves it and says it looks terrific. Better than any of the older Goldwings.

I have a ton of friends who ride all different types of Bikes and they all said they would never buy a Wing. ALL of them now want my Wing.

So yea, I'm not seeing or hearing anything negative about the 2012 except on the "Internet". In real life, everyone that sees or rides my 2012 falls in love with it.
Bingo!

You would be surprised how many on this board actually like the 2012, or at least don't hate it as much as you read here. I don't know about other forums, but here, negative talk is usually dominated by a vocal minority. People who like it will say so maybe once. Those who don't like it will say so a dozen times in the first week, and every chance they get thereafter. It gives the inaccurate appearance that most people hate the new bike, which just isn't true.

I do agree that the back end looks like Honda only half finished it. They did not put their best effort into the design of the back end. But I don't think it looks as bad as some say it is. I think I could live with it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
BMW isn't a threat to the Wing. Nothing else is either IMO. You want a touring bike the Wing is still the standard to beat.
You want Sport Touring, then it has competition.
How true you are i have rode 600 miles on the new BMW K1600GTL two occasions 350 1st ride all 250 second both mainly UK twisties and a little motorway work. But if you want a LUXURY TWO UP tourer the WING is the bike hence i have a 2012 air bag on order and not the GTL1600 which is sat in my local BMW shop awaiting a buyer!

Also rode 450 miles on the K1600GT too.......thats just a rocket and speeding tickets to follow you think a wing has a alt/whine wait till you ride the GT and GTL (LOL)

each to their own though......:roll:

I am still trying to find a 2012 wing owner/ rider to ask what GB capacity music stick i should have for the rear connection i was thinking 32GB ?

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Bingo!

You would be surprised how many on this board actually like the 2012, or at least don't hate it as much as you read here. I don't know about other forums, but here, negative talk is usually dominated by a vocal minority. People who like it will say so maybe once. Those who don't like it will say so a dozen times in the first week, and every chance they get thereafter. It gives the inaccurate appearance that most people hate the new bike, which just isn't true.

I do agree that the back end looks like Honda only half finished it. They did not put their best effort into the design of the back end. But I don't think it looks as bad as some say it is. I think I could live with it.
I agree with you in general. Although many who like it have said so repeatedly. I don't believe everyone who sees it in person loves it. Some of them are just being polite - just as some who don't like mine are to me and I am when someone else shows me something I don't like. I'm happy they are happy. But in a general thread where people are sharing opinions - that's different. I'll share my opinion, which is no more or less valid than anyone else's. At the end of the day people will and should get whatever makes them happy. That's what I did.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I think it is silly to make a big deal out of the look of the 2012. A person can like and buy it or keep his earlier GL-1800. It's all a matter of personal choice and freedom to spend as each of us wishes.

The 2012 is probably a transitional model with only a mild facelift.

Honda is probably working on a completely new model built in Japan that will be introduced before long unless the tsunami had a greater impact than I expect.

I'm extremely happy with my '10 model and happy that some prefer the '12. I hope thousands buy the '12 and help keep Honda profitable for the future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you take the 2012 for a ride? If not you should have. I rode a new 2010 and didnt think it was any different than my 02. Then rode the 2012 and bought one same day. Huge difference in ride and handling.Just sayin.

I just got a new 2012, red and silver. I took my old 2006 from Amarillo, Texas to Sprindale, Arkansas, traded it in on a new 2012 and road it back. It does have a better ride (suspension) and the seat is more comfortable. It is a sharp looking bike. I like it!

Robert

1 - 20 of 29 Posts