GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ONe of my friends just picked up a trike from a small dealer in Alabama. The dealer was saying that the 2012 wings are not as well made as the 1210's. I have no idea, but would like to hear your opinions. Could the new factory in Japan not be making the same or better quality bikes than previous years?

·
Registered
152 Posts
ONe of my friends just picked up a trike from a small dealer in Alabama. The dealer was saying that the 2012 wings are not as well made as the 1210's. I have no idea, but would like to hear your opinions. Could the new factory in Japan not be making the same or better quality bikes than previous years?
well, the 1210's didnt accelerate as well because you propably only had 2, maybe 4 horses pulling it. The handling wasnt near as good with those wooden wagon wheels. The navigation system was a little more primative, you know having to chart the stars etc. But overall about the same. :joke:

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Typically the build quality is higher in a Japanese factory Vs USA. Sad but true. Just look at the cars

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Well to tell you the truth, the welds that I looked at on a 2012 model....the lower crossmember and the steering neck welds....didn't look as good as the welds on my 2008 frame. I'm not saying they are bad or anything just not as good looking as the welds on my bike, at least with the 2012 example I looked at.....really not a big deal though and I'm sure most will never notice or care.

And speaking of welds, I was looking at a brand loaded BMW GTL 1600 the other day at bike night and the frame weld on the side of the bike....the same one that is covered on the Wings frame...... while nice and smooth and otherwise nice looking, had a big pin hole in the weld. I don't know how that big ugly pin hole in the weld ever made it past quality control but it did. The owner wasn't very happy when I pointed that flaw out to him.....just goes to show that all brands have their quality control problems.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Typically the build quality is higher in a Japanese factory Vs USA. Sad but true. Just look at the cars
Those are fighting words here in Ohio! I would like to see documentation supporting your claim.

·
Registered
224 Posts
First year

I'm sure the first GWs off the Ohio assembly line had issues as well. The real test is if they improve over time (Deming):

PDCA cycle for Plan, Do, Check, Act*:
  • PLAN: Design or revise business process components to improve results
  • DO: Implement the plan and measure its performance
  • CHECK: Assess the measurements and report the results to decision makers
  • ACT: Decide on changes needed to improve the process
Deming's PDCA cycle can be illustrated as follows:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
My 2009 Honda Civic, built in Ohio is the first new car I'v ever owned that has never had to go back to the dealer for anything.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
No details? Wouldn't one's natural response be a question about what exactly was inferior? An example or two?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Guy at small dealer is probably full of --it.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I agree with you on this.Most will cry about this fact,but after working in the auto indusrty I saw these things with my own eyes.

The rest can do the Ostridge trick if they like.It don't bother no none..LOL

BTW: That dealer doesn't know what he is talking about.maybe he too doesn't like the looks of the 2012 and said what he did because of that.:shrug:

People who buy them like them an that's all that counts.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It would do no good to post example after example of the protracted slide into the sewer of the American auto industry. Those of you whom are satisfied with the product this country produces are free to continue to buy them. However, those of us who have seen the light a long time ago and know there are other choices out there are just as free to take advantage of them. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm sure the first GWs off the Ohio assembly line had issues as well. The real test is if they improve over time (Deming):

PDCA cycle for Plan, Do, Check, Act*:
  • PLAN: Design or revise business process components to improve results
  • DO: Implement the plan and measure its performance
  • CHECK: Assess the measurements and report the results to decision makers
  • ACT: Decide on changes needed to improve the process
Deming's PDCA cycle can be illustrated as follows:

Good for quality improvements... and bowel movements :joke::joke::joke::joke::joke:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Honda & Toyota are two of the originals who started practicing Dr. Edward Deming's management theory regarding continuous quality improvements but have for whatever reasons slipped and fallen a few times these past few years. I suspect they will rebound in leaps going forward... GM, DuPont and other US big boys recognized the need to stay competitive but have hands tied with labor issues and in return eliminating creative and spontaneous common sense changes which only a human element, can provide leaving manufacturing to robotics for assembly and computers for thinking.

Deming's management practices and proven success relies on empowering employees for making decisions and reinstating pride in manufacturing a product that is second to none, unlike a process which makes going to work each day just a required action for collecting a paycheck.

Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Honda & Toyota are two of the originals who started practicing Dr. Edward Deming's management theory regarding continuous quality improvements but have for whatever reasons slipped and fallen a few times these past few years. I suspect they will rebound in leaps going forward... GM, DuPont and other US big boys recognized the need to stay competitive but have hands tied with labor issues and in return eliminating creative and spontaneous common sense changes which only a human element, can provide leaving manufacturing to robotics for assembly and computers for thinking.

Deming's management practices and proven success relies on empowering employees for making decisions and reinstating pride in manufacturing a product that is second to none, unlike a process which makes going to work each day just a required action for collecting a paycheck.

Just my $.02 worth.
In the 1950's, Japanese products were considered junk, and they were. The Japanese, desperate to emerge from WWII, found and hired Demming to help them while the American manufacturers were fat and happy and ignored him. American quality tanked in the 70's (anyone buy a US-made car in the 70's or 80's? I did. Total crap.). The Japanese did very well penetrating the US markets because of their quality and the lack of same by the US mfgs. Happily, the US eventually responded, but not until the 90's after their reputation had degraded almost beyond repair. They actually make a decent product today because they would be out of business if they didn't. Thank Demming and Japan for the relative quality we enjoy today if we want to buy American. Also thank the Japanese for showing again that American workers can produce a decent product if they are in a system with a culture of quality. JMHO
To keep this motorcycle related, remember the Honda 50? Remember AMF?

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I think American made vehicles have improved vastly... the small difference won't make me buy another foreign vehicle..
i will try to buy AMERICAN when ever possible..
cosmic

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think American made vehicles have improved vastly... the small difference won't make me buy another foreign vehicle..
cosmic

The problem is that a Toyota Tundra has more American parts and labor
in it than a Chevy Silverado

The Toyota Camry is 80% American it is more American than any other (American) vehicle

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
cosmic
Yeah ... the problem is, if I go out to buy a new American pickup truck, my choices are to buy a Government Motors model under the thumb of Obama ..Sorry G.M. you screwed the pooch when you climbed into bed with Obama. too bad, because I can actually AFFORD a new mid-life crisis Corvette now but I won't buy one from G.M., or a Dodge (LOTS of issues with those trucks) or a Ford.

The Fords are a nice product, but Ford does strange things. My 1999 Ford F450 with the 7.3 liter diesel engine was nice, but Ford ran the engine wiring harnesses THROUGH the engine, bathed in motor oil under the cylinder heads! When they failed, Ford talked about THOUSANDS of dollars to replace them! I traded the crippled Ford for a "Dodge" (Mercedes) Sprinter. 161,000 miles without a speck of trouble. the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, and the easiest to work on for basic maintenance.

So I'm all for "buying American" but geez! Can we get some seriously GOOD products out of America please! If I buy a new pickup truck, it will most likely be a Toyota Tundra, because they simply make a BETTER truck!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts