GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've done a ton of reading about double dark side. However I have a sidecar rig. I spoke with a sales rep from Hannigan. She said I need a hard car tire for the rear. Since I don't need a soft car tire for cornering. Are there any members with sidecars that can speak from experience? Thanks in advance, Arty 781-413-6488

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
I dont but have a blizztek ?? Rf that i think was on a trike flatter profile so didntt care for it on 2 wheels dont think ya need "harder " tire as much as flatter. Please post what others opinions are, enjoy your ride .

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I don't have a sidecar but I'm riding a reverse triked Goldwing and currently on a Michelin X-Ice rear tire. Any of the top darkside rear tires should work for you and the sidecar. The Bridgestone Driveguard, Yokohama Avid Envigor or probably the Pirelli Snowcontrol3 would probably work, pick one and try it. If you don't like one, try a different.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If you haven't done so yet, get on a sidecar forum and ask. The typical rf tire used on GLs is soft. The extra weight from the hack will reduce that tire's life. If that doesn't matter to you, any DS tire that you KNOW will fit should be fine...or at least a longer life than a bike tire.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I ordered the Bridgestone Drive guard run flat 195/55r16. When I read all the reviews on amazon, I was shocked. Every review was about a Goldwing! Can't wait. I'll keep everyone posted on my results. Thanks, Arty This site is so awesome!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I've been riding with a Champion Daytona 2+2 hack for about 15 years. Got the most miles from a Firestone Firehawk (20k), sadly it's not a RF. I've ran every CT everyone else has. Getting ready to take the Driveguard off now, got about 13k out of it. Avid Envigor was my favorite handling tire. My experience has been about 12-16k out of a tire which is way better than 6-8k from a MC tire. Like Uncle John said you want a flat profile tire whether hard or soft, they will all be better than a MC tire. I do like the mountain curves which may affect my mileage, but I don't ride that hard :wink2:

Also how that rig is set up will affect tire wear and handling. What are you running for a front tire?

Reactions: SC Popatop

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your awesome reply. Lots of good information. I still have both stock Bridgestone motorcycle tires. The front still looks good. Rear is close to being done. I'm just about at 12,000 miles. I've read a lot about putting a rear motorcycle tire on the front. Thanks again, Arty

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Thank you for your awesome reply. Lots of good information. I still have both stock Bridgestone motorcycle tires. The front still looks good. Rear is close to being done. I'm just about at 12,000 miles. I've read a lot about putting a rear motorcycle tire on the front. Thanks again, Arty
I did fail to mention I have a BT45 on the front to get that many miles. Stone G709 barely made 8k.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did it on my sidecar rig! I have the car tire on the rear and rear motorcycle tire on the front. I didn't notice any change in the handling at all. I'm extremely happy! Can't wait to see how long each tire lasts. So I'm now a Double Darkside! Is there a club of Darksiders? I read about receiving a number. Does anyone have information on who I need to contact? Thanks, Arty

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
My experience doesn’t include a sidecar, but it’d suggest a Goodyear Triple Tread if long mileage counts and square profile doesn’t matter.. they were good for 40k+ when I was running them on the wing. Without corners, they’d probably hit 50k....

:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I did it on my sidecar rig! I have the car tire on the rear and rear motorcycle tire on the front. I didn't notice any change in the handling at all. I'm extremely happy! Can't wait to see how long each tire lasts. So I'm now a Double Darkside! Is there a club of Darksiders? I read about receiving a number. Does anyone have information on who I need to contact? Thanks, Arty
PM Murgie or check out this threadhttps://gl1800riders.com/forums/15-darkside-riders/248185-darkside-numbers.html

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been trying to post photos ever since I became a member of this amazing site. I'm not great with computers. Can anyone please provide step by step instructions of how to post photos on this site. You guys have been so awesome! I've learned so much technical information. Thanks, Arty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts