175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Are the oem windshields coated? Some polishes say for uncoated plastics

Thanks

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
The OEM shield is marked Lexum in the plastic in the lower right corner. I believe Lexum is a coating. On the instruction sheet for Meguires Plastx, a product to remove the haze and yellowing from plastic headlamps and the likes, it actually says "not for use on m/c windscreens."

Hopefully that information helps.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Yes the stock windshield has a thin coating on it, I don’t know what it’s called but I have seen windshields that owners over polished probably with a polish that was slightly abrasive and actually wore spots through that coating. Once you wear through that coating in my opinion the windshield is pretty much ruined.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Guidance of wash with water only, a mix of peroxide helps soften the bugs and should be safe. I've not had a problem. Also small aircraft pilots have plexiglass and lexan windshields also and swear by pledge furniture polish to help water shed, I've used it for a couple years and it seems harmless albeit short lived. I use pledge on long buggy trips on all my forward facing plastics.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Both sides coated. I have had it come off after applying "removable" rubber like mounting pads, like for cell phones!:surprise:

Corventure Dave

·
F4 Customs
367 Posts
OEM windshields are made from Lexan or what they call MR10 which is a mar resistant polycarbonate. This coating is not very abrasive but it is formable which is what OEM manufactures want so they can use pre-coated material and form it without causing any harm to the coating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts