GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, curiosity here.
Two vertical slots in the front lower cowls. Same height at the top of the fender.
What are they and what do they do? there is no room for any air to slide by, they don't seem to move, but if you open them up somehow they seem to lead to a plenum chamber directly in front of the radiator side tanks. I live in the San Diego area, and summers get quite warm. Should these be or should they have been removed to provide air flow?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Apparently just for looks. They do not move and are part of the inner cowl. Too bad some aftermarket company doesn't make lights that will fit. Kury has a set, but they come with a chrome band that is larger than the actual opening. They look bad IMHO.
Plus, why chrome?. Should have been matte black. Same thing with all the Kury stuff for the GenII. They make gloss black pieces that do not match the matte black on the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently just for looks. They do not move and are part of the inner cowl. Too bad some aftermarket company doesn't make lights that will fit. Kury has a set, but they come with a chrome band that is larger than the actual opening. They look bad IMHO.
Plus, why chrome?. Should have been matte black. Same thing with all the Kury stuff for the GenII. They make gloss black pieces that do not match the matte black on the bike.

Thank you, and yeah, kinda thought so. to me, if it's there, there's a reason for it. I've half a mind to cut it out, but then if it looks bad there's no way to fix it. Would be nice to have a cable-operated door that opens and closes or something similar. It can get close to 100 here in SOCAL, and that just might come in handy. Ok, not necessary, but ..........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Oh, and the Kury Shiny Black Stuff? PEELING OFF! Clamshell grips, flaking off after a couple years. Chrome trunk rack? Starting to crack and ready to peel. I give up on them, but don't know where else to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts