1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Yes !! But "not " the driveshaft !!!! 05 is shorter

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
I have a 2010 drive shaft in perfect condition, I triked out my bike last season....for sale!

If you have read many of my posts about me and my fragrant, oil/ filter changes, and waxing my bikes you will know how well this drive shaft and my bikes are taken care of...

Ronnie

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
To the OP. If you want to change out the drive shaft in your '05 you will need the short one from an '05 and down. '06 and up are too long for your bike. I have replaced quite a few final drives and depending on the mileage, a lot of the time you can get away with not replacing the drive shaft the first time. I just replaced the final drive on a bike for the second time (two replacement final drives) and just put the first replacement drive shaft in this time. This bike had 280k miles on it. The drive shaft I removed was still good but the guy didn't want to take a chance on it lasting the life of the third final drive. I don't blame him. It was an '02 model. The short drive shafts are getting harder to find. I got my last one from UncleJohn on this forum. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, the bike is an 05 with only 30K miles, I saw the small leak on the final drive and from what I've read here that means that I need to replace it - bummer ! - I will keep the same drive shaft.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Thanks, the bike is an 05 with only 30K miles, I saw the small leak on the final drive and from what I've read here that means that I need to replace it - bummer ! - I will keep the same drive shaft.
With only 30k miles on it, I would make sure it was not overfilled and puking a little out the vent before I replaced the final drive. The earliest I have ever replaced a final drive was 60k and it had never had the lube replaced. I am not saying that is why but it didn't help things I am sure. I have a friend that has over 200k on his '05 model and has never replaced the gear lube. The average for the finals I have done is about 160k excepting the 60k one.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Final

With only 30k miles on it, I would make sure it was not overfilled and puking a little out the vent before I replaced the final drive. The earliest I have ever replaced a final drive was 60k and it had never had the lube replaced. I am not saying that is why but it didn't help things I am sure. I have a friend that has over 200k on his '05 model and has never replaced the gear lube. The average for the finals I have done is about 160k excepting the 60k one.
Why on earth would he never change the simple oil. Defying the ods:shrug:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With only 30k miles on it, I would make sure it was not overfilled and puking a little out the vent before I replaced the final drive.

Thanks - I replaced the oil and saw that it was overfilled, it did puke out a little just like you said, it just seems to be OK... will keep an eye !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts