GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

New member here. I just recently got a 2015 GL1800. I want to replace the front Hi and Lo beams with LEDs. So I ordered a H7 Katana Headlight kit off Amazon. When I went to install it, I see that the connector.. the power connector.. doest fit. Not at all ! The blades on the Katana H7 are spaced narrower than the connecotr in my bike. In fact, the connector in my bike looks like an H4 (3 blades)

What am I missing here.. everything I have read sais that the 22015 GL1800 low and hi beams are H7 type, and the LEDs I ordered were H7 and they say H7 on the box and the connectors look like other H7s I see online, but there is no way this connector fits my bike.

Thanks in advance, Stephan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So now I have another question.. I cxant figure out how to get the dust seal/boot onto the LEDs I bought. The cable connecting the LED to the ballast and ultimately to the bike comes out at right angles right by the little fan at the rear of the LED, which means the boot doesnt fit well or at all.. also, I am worried that if I put the dust seal right where the heat sink/fan of the LED is, that it will melt. How hot do those things get ?

Ive been looking on amazon for a 10k-12k LED with a wire that is not placed so as to obstruct the dustseal and most of the images dont show you that part of the LED.

·
Registered
762 Posts
When it comes to aftermarket LED bulbs (and HID bulbs for that matter) I am a strong believer in "you get what you pay for."

Fan cooled is old technology as are the bulbs with the braided heat sinks. These units are not the best choice.

Headlight bulb performance is based on the location in the reflector housing. As you asked on another post. the lumens, even if the numbers are scientifically accurate, are not the only important factor. Even if you get these working, my thought is you will be disappointed with the illumination. The issues you are having IMHO are demonstrating a vendor who is not providing a product that will work well with the GL1800.

Even the tail light bulbs from many sources are weak and unreliable.

If you want to have a positive experience with LED bulbs I would recommend using one of the board sponsors and buying products from SoCalMotoGear or Electrical Connection. I prefer the SCMG for ease of installation and superior customer service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When it comes to aftermarket LED bulbs (and HID bulbs for that matter) I am a strong believer in "you get what you pay for."

Fan cooled is old technology as are the bulbs with the braided heat sinks. These units are not the best choice.

Headlight bulb performance is based on the location in the reflector housing. As you asked on another post. the lumens, even if the numbers are scientifically accurate, are not the only important factor. Even if you get these working, my thought is you will be disappointed with the illumination. The issues you are having IMHO are demonstrating a vendor who is not providing a product that will work well with the GL1800.

Even the tail light bulbs from many sources are weak and unreliable.

If you want to have a positive experience with LED bulbs I would recommend using one of the board sponsors and buying products from SoCalMotoGear or Electrical Connection. I prefer the SCMG for ease of installation and superior customer service.
Thanks for the reply. I did look at the products from SCMG and they seemed pretty spendy in general on all of their items. I now have another set from Headlightexperts that hopefully will fit without too much fuss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts