GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I need to remove and replace the housing for the left rear cubby hole as the hinge tabs for the door broke off and I have a new one to install. Is this a straight forward 'undo a bunch of screws and tabs' and if so has anyone got any advice before I start?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Chard Member
13,054 Posts
Remove seat. Unplug heated seat control. Look inside at frt wall of tour box. You’ll see four Phillips screws behind the cubby. Remove then remove the cubby.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Yes I did it this winter after breaking the door. You don't have to take off the seat just go inside the trunk and take the screws out of the back of the box. If this link works it will give you a picture and I thought it was pretty easy to follow. I actually had mine in and out a couple of times trying to fix it before I spent the bucks. https://www.tmsparts.com/oem-part-l...&year=2013&model=gl18004ac&assembly=trunk_box

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes I did it this winter after breaking the door. You don't have to take off the seat just go inside the trunk and take the screws out of the back of the box. If this link works it will give you a picture and I thought it was pretty easy to follow. I actually had mine in and out a couple of times trying to fix it before I spent the bucks. OEM Parts Finder | Powersport Parts | TMSPARTS.com
Just 2 screws? My replacement part has 2 screws nubs at top and one at bottom area.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Like dwatc said, 4 screw accessed from inside the trunk. If you have comfort, remove the seat to get to the heated seat switch's electrical plug.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok I see it after takeing it apart and breaking some things, There is the compartment itself, and then there is the door ( which I broke on a trip and wanted to replace - necessitating replacement of what I call the door/shroud part 28/37 which is called pert the parts diagram the outer trunk pocket. This part is attached to the compartment itself (inner trunk pocket) and to replace the door you have to remove as an assembly the door and compartment ( inner and outer pocket) unit, and then, after the combined inner and outer pocket is out, you unscrew the 3 screws - 2 at top and one at bottom underside of the outer pocket door that fixture it to the inner pocket. On that inner pocket, there are 4 screws inside the trunk that you take out to remove that combined assembley. Don't make my mistake. If you need to replace just the door ( that outer pocket) take out the whole unit using thos 4 screws inside the trunk and then remove the door from the inner pocket.

BTW If you are looking for that outer pocket assy you can get a set here>

Black Trunk Side Pocket Saddlebag For Honda Goldwing GL1800 GL 1800 2006-2011 10 | eBay

Mine fit perfectly on my 2012 even though they say 2006-2011. I asked the supplier and they said it did and they were correct.

Reactions: doug of no fl

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Ok I see it after takeing it apart and breaking some things, There is the compartment itself, and then there is the door ( which I broke on a trip and wanted to replace - necessitating replacement of what I call the door/shroud part 28/37 which is called pert the parts diagram the outer trunk pocket. This part is attached to the compartment itself (inner trunk pocket) and to replace the door you have to remove as an assembly the door and compartment ( inner and outer pocket) unit, and then, after the combined inner and outer pocket is out, you unscrew the 3 screws - 2 at top and one at bottom underside of the outer pocket door that fixture it to the inner pocket. On that inner pocket, there are 4 screws inside the trunk that you take out to remove that combined assembley. Don't make my mistake. If you need to replace just the door ( that outer pocket) take out the whole unit using thos 4 screws inside the trunk and then remove the door from the inner pocket.

BTW If you are looking for that outer pocket assy you can get a set here>

Black Trunk Side Pocket Saddlebag For Honda Goldwing GL1800 GL 1800 2006-2011 10 | eBay

Mine fit perfectly on my 2012 even though they say 2006-2011. I asked the supplier and they said it did and they were correct.
How did you deal with your heated seat switch ??? I believe those Chinese copies are for no-comfort levels.

·
Registered
96 Posts
How did you deal with your heated seat switch ??? I believe those Chinese copies are for no-comfort levels.
I see I got lucky. I had to only replace the right side where there was no heater switch, and so I did not have to disconnect any heater wiring or remove seat. I do see that the left side does indeed have a heater knob/switch.. My "from china" part also has the cutout for that switch. see photos.

Attachments

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Like dwatc said, 4 screw accessed from inside the trunk. If you have comfort, remove the seat to get to the heated seat switch's electrical plug.
Greg I was just looking at this after all this time and saw this comment. I have the heated seat and you don't have to remove the seat to change the box. The control will come out with no problem. I can't remember exactly how it does but it's real simple. I did it without breaking anything is why I said it was simple.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Greg I was just looking at this after all this time and saw this comment. I have the heated seat and you don't have to remove the seat to change the box. The control will come out with no problem. I can't remember exactly how it does but it's real simple. I did it without breaking anything is why I said it was simple.
Correct, if one wants to work on a pocket while it is still attached to the bike they can. However, I find it far easier to remove the entire pocket and work on the pocket while it is in my lap. In my case since almost all Wings that I work on do not belong to me, I don't want to worry about dropping a pocket or tool on someones paint and scratching it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts