GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heat has stopped working, tested the seat thyristors and front section is bad. Is there a way to fool the riders seat heat so that the passenger seat and grips will still work ?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Heat has stopped working, tested the seat thyristors and front section is bad. Is there a way to fool the riders seat heat so that the passenger seat and grips will still work ?
Perhaps this??
https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product/honda-gl1800-heated-seat-dummy-load/

f you have replaced your factory heated seat with a non-heated seat, your heated grips no longer work.

Simply plug in our dummy load and your grips will come back to life!

Made in the USA!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already have one of those, however it takes the entire seat out of the picture. I want the passenger seat heat to still function. If I knew which pins were for the front and rear elements then a guy could remove the appropriate pins from the factory plug and replace them with the correct pins from the dummy-load.
The manual gives me the Thyristors pin out but does not show front & rear elements.

Trying to keep the co-rider happy !!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, and I just may be, but the heated seat wont work if the ambient temperature is above a certain degree. I thought it was like 57

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure they all work regardless of ambient temp. Good way to annoy your buddy on a 90deg day, turn up his seat when he is not looking and he has a hot butt before he realizes someone is messing with him.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Unfortunately, factory seat won't heat up if the outside temperature is over a certain point...not quite sure what's the cutoff temperature but it's in the mid to upper 50's (or higher).

That's why people would install resistors on the seat, to be able to crank up the heat even under higher outside temperature. It's a well known mod, easily found by searching this forum.

Aftermarket seats won't have that limitations, they will heat up under any temperature.

Sorry for hijacking the post....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe our Canadian models are different, the seat on my 07 heated up on a 85 deg day cause my "buddy" thought it was a neat joke to turn my heat all the way up when we stopped for a break. Took me about 20 minutes to figure out why my butt was so hot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts