GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be putting a new tire on my rear wheel soon and would like to correct the orientation of the wheel valve stem. Can they be loosened and turned once installed. I need to rotate it about 110 degrees so it points out perpendicular to the left side of the bike.

The PO has it pointing to the right exhaust tip. As it is, it's very hard to get to and check air etc.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
As you're sitting on the bike, valve stems point to the left side of the machine.

If it's original equipment valve body, complete with the TPMS system, then they should be able to be detached and reattached while the tire is removed.

Reactions: cihilb

·
Registered
499 Posts
As mentioned, if it's the OEM valve stem with TPMS, all you need is an allen wrench from inside the tire and an adjustable wrench on the valve stem. There is a rubber grommet that is supposed to be replaced each time it's removed. However, I've not had leaking issues and I've re-used it on several different wheels after replacing TPMS sensor batteries.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My 2005 has both front and rear valve stems pointing left and held with black holders to keep it from flexing. I recently had to replace the front with a straight valve stem during a 1700 mile trip and I kind of like the straight because I can air the tire from either side of the bike when it is on its side stand. I also have the SYKIK TPMS system and the centrifugal force of the spinning wheel does not affect the straight stem like it will the 90 degree stem. Ask me how I know when my holder broke off.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 2005 has both front and rear valve stems pointing left and held with black holders to keep it from flexing. I recently had to replace the front with a straight valve stem during a 1700 mile trip and I kind of like the straight because I can air the tire from either side of the bike when it is on its side stand. I also have the SYKIK TPMS system and the centrifugal force of the spinning wheel does not affect the straight stem like it will the 90 degree stem. Ask me how I know when my holder broke off.
Thanks Terry. The set up on the 2015 is different than the 2005.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As you're sitting on the bike, valve stems point to the left side of the machine.

If it's original equipment valve body, complete with the TPMS system, then they should be able to be detached and reattached while the tire is removed.
Thanks. I'll give it a good look over when I rotate it.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
When I get a new tire, I drill a 1" hole in the center of the tread to remove the balancing beads. This way
the shop does not have to deal with them when removing the old tire and installing the new one.
I usually get a question of "why the hole"? I simply answer.... that you should "never" park where there
may be gophers!

Corventure Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts