GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2015 I bought last year. Went on a 1,000 mile trip over memorial day weekend and it ran great. It has sat in the garage since. Today I went on a ride after filling up this morning. My 2013 F6B and the 2015 seem to hesitate after fill ups or after stopping for a while, then clears up. Almost like it is normal. Today after stopping for about 30 minutes to walk to a waterfall, I got back on the bike an it had an awful skip. Happened to run across a GWRRA group at the next pull off. They were thinking a plug wire may be off or something. No one had any tools so I limped it back about 60 miles. Constant skipping. I ran in and out of heavy rain on the way back. Stopped at a red light about 4 miles from home and noticed the skip was almost unnoticeable when I took off. Ran very good home and into the garage. Went to move it out of the way a few minutes ago and the skip is back. Checked the plugs and they seem to be connected well. No arc burns or anything when I look at the plug wire connector. Can't remove plugs today because my wrench won't fit.

Do you think this is a definite ignition issue or would it behave the same if the non-ethanol gas I filled up on this morning was bad.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Bad gasoline could be the cause. Considering the bike is fairly new with low mileage it is highly unlikely that you have an ignition problem, unless a mouse has been making a meal out of the wires. You could easily siphon out the remaining gasoline into an empty gas can and refill with regular gas purchased from a normally busy station. It still may take several miles of riding to clear the issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, plan to siphon out as much gas as possible and replace. If that doesn't do it after a good ride I am pulling the plugs to see if one fouled.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Air filter good? After Jack said moose, I thought of air filter. You COULD have mice in both bike's but that's a long shot too.
Maybe a compromised spark plug, but they need to come out to see.
Otherwise, an injector not firing, or in the end a compression loss from a valve...that's all worst case stuff though.
1st things 1st, try the fuel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried gas to solve my issue and it didn't work. Decided to look at the plugs. First one I checked was fouled. Replaced it and it runs as good as ever now. A little concerning that it fouled in the first place. At least now I know to keep a spare plug and those tools on the bike.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tried gas to solve my issue and it didn't work. Decided to look at the plugs. First one I checked was fouled. Replaced it and it runs as good as ever now. A little concerning that it fouled in the first place. At least now I know to keep a spare plug and those tools on the bike.

Thanks for the help.

Is the plug fouled with gasoline or oil?

Carrying a spare plug is a good idea for emergencies. But you should check the plug again, soon!

Gasoline, which is not burned, does not only foul a plug, but it will also wash the oil from the cylinder walls, which is not what you want.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
You guys are forgetting about the infamous 1832 cold stumble.
Some bikes are worse than others.
It's a normal PITA that you have to live with, unless you get Don Guhl to reflash your ECM to eliminate the cold stumble.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was the back plug on the right side. Seemed more gas that oil. I hope I didn't damage the cylinder by trying a ride with new gas.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Please give us an update. Will be interesting to see what that plug looks like in 1 - 3000 miles or more.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
You guys are forgetting about the infamous 1832 cold stumble.
Some bikes are worse than others.
It's a normal PITA that you have to live with, unless you get Don Guhl to reflash your ECM to eliminate the cold stumble.
Wasn't that just in the first minute or so until it warmed up? I'll have to watch for this on my new 2017. I've never had the issue on my 2006.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
As I recall the stumble was a rare and only was reported on a handful of 1832's.
I never experienced it. Nor any of the Goldwing owners here in my area. But those who did, reported here, the
Don Guhi refresh seemed to be their solution.

Corventure Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts