GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I wanted to go for a ride Saturday and we started out of, but a few miles into the ride I stopped at a traffic light. I went to take off from the light and up-shift and the shifter was as hard as a rock. The shifter wouldn't shift up or down. a little finagling and I got to shift. Next time I had to stop and again it wouldn't down shift and after a bit of finagling it would finally start shifting normally. I have scheduled it to be looked at it under warranty, I bought the additional warranty for 7 years. I am just curious, has anyone else had this issue and what might the cause be?

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
2015 (WOW) yes please keep us posted, thank you................. Thanks Goodness for warranty service............

Ronnie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I certainly will. Just for the record, I have over 60k miles on the clock. So that may be a factor, not a big factor since it's barely broken in. 😁

·
Chard Member
12,732 Posts
Is the clutch releasing fully? Does it slam into first gear when putting into first? Does it shift okay when engine is off?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I had that happen on my last 1500. That was 20 years ago, so I don’t remember exactly what the problem was, but it had something to do with the shift linkage to the transmission. It was a fairly simple fix, however. Hopefully it will be something just as simple for you.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Do you have heel toe shifter and floorboards?
That would be my question as well. Heel-Toe shifters do cause problems at times.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the clutch releasing fully? Does it slam into first gear when putting into first? Does it shift okay when engine is off?
When it does shift, it shifts just fine. What's kind of odd is that it will shift fine, then won't down shift. or I'll stop and then it won't up shift. When it does start shifting, it nice and smooth with no unusual noises or extra chunkiness.

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,587 Posts
If the shifter lever seems to be returning to center, then it’s not the big spring on the arm at the right in this picture, but since it’s intermittently hanging up, I think it could be the little looped spring next to it that returns the paw to center after rotating the shift drum.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the information. It is good information to know. How common does this spring come loose?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am curious to know what it does if you turn off the engine? So, if it is stuck and won't up shift or down shift; turn off the engine and try the up or down shift. This might help decide if it is an intermittent clutch problem.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
The wife and I wanted to go for a ride Saturday and we started out of, but a few miles into the ride I stopped at a traffic light. I went to take off from the light and up-shift and the shifter was as hard as a rock. The shifter wouldn't shift up or down. a little finagling and I got to shift. Next time I had to stop and again it wouldn't down shift and after a bit of finagling it would finally start shifting normally. I have scheduled it to be looked at it under warranty, I bought the additional warranty for 7 years. I am just curious, has anyone else had this issue and what might the cause be?
Do you have a heal-toe shifter ???

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
No floorboards or heel-toe shifter, stock pegs and shifter
He mentioned in an earlier post that he does not have a heel to toe shifter, it's stock.
Got it ... then it is probably like Rob says. The little blue spring is causing shift-arm 'B' to not recock correctly. However, before jumping to that conclusion, remove the lower center cowl, and lookin in with a flash-light, and verify that nothing is blocking the movement of the external linkage.

What happens is the little blue spring gets cut in half by the snap-ring that hold it in place. There is nothing wrong with the snap-ring, and you'll find that it's even installed correctly by Honda's standards; however, snap-rings are stamped out and have a sharp edge side and soft edge side. When you reuse the snap-ring, make sure the softer side is towards the little blue spring.

The parts you will need are in the fishe below
- trans cover gasket #3 2015 Honda GL1800 2AC FRONT COVER / TRANSMISSION COVER | MRCycles

- little blue spring #14 2015 Honda GL1800 2AC SHIFT DRUM / SHIFT FORK | MRCycles

• oil, filter, and crush washer
  • black RTV silicone seal

1 - 20 of 28 Posts