GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't got the new '16 yet. Waiting for the -12 degree weather in Ohio to warm up!!! Few more questions. Bike comes with heated grips but I'd like to put new ones one. Been looking and see ones that are 2 pieces and go over existing ones. Do these work? Does the heat really come through like they say? Additionally, like to put fog lights. Have them on the '06. Not really interested in the fog/driving/turn signal cluster. Do like the LED's and DEFINITELY want rectangular ones for the rectangular cutouts. Any suggestions? Pretty sure my Add On backrest will fit. Not a fan of cutting through the seat. I like the seat side mounts. And lastly FOR NOW, is maybe a rear spoiler. Honda is discontinuing almost all their colors. But I am open to other brands. But I am also waiting since a few pics/videos I see that there is what appears to be a light directly below the trunk. Perhaps a spoiler would be over kill but still safety. Thats all for now!!!

Thanx to all...

Tom

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
I have kury big grips - heat goes thru fine - just takes longer to heat up. Fogs ck elewctrical connection leds - i put leds in headlites- world of difference- called p 9's just did low beams - get some led bulbs for rear brake that flash - flash 5 times then go solid .

Reactions: skeez

·
Registered
735 Posts
Kuryakyn grips here as well, over my OEM heated grips on my 2016 ABS. Heat seems to come through okay, but as already stated, takes a bit longer to get warm. I added those grips because the stock grips are so skinny that my hands cramped up. Maybe they designed this for smaller Japanese riders.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I also installed Kuryakyn heated grips. No offense but if the bike is already equipped with heated grips why would you choose to change them? My wife's 1800 has factory heated grips and I find them to be superior to the Kuryakyn's I installed. I'll bet you are grinding your teeth waiting for the weather to clear. I know I would be. Winter sucks.:serious:

·
Registered
735 Posts
The stock grips are ridiculously skinny. I found them very uncomfortable

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
So let's see:

I originally put the earlier Round Fog Light Cover (used from eBay) on the bike so that I could use LED Fog Lights (when LED Fog Lights were not available for the trapezoid openings). I then proceeded to go through several LED Lights under warranty and then a couple more at my expense. One failed LED about every 6 months. The LEDs didn't actually fail, but the circuitry that drives them did. Since they only come as a package it becomes a very expensive repair ($100+) all to frequently. I've since replaced the LED lights with regular incandescent units which use $6 bulbs and haven't had a failure now in well over two years and 20K miles.

I used and have been very happy with the Honda Spoiler that comes with a built-in light bar. I made and installed a circuit so that it works as both a Running Light and a Stop Light. Several companies sell pre-made harnesses for this and there are also replacement Light Bars that have a built-in Turn Signal function.

If you have Hondas OEM Heated Grips the bike will also have a Heated Seat. If you find the Heated Seat to not be very heated and/or more likely your passenger will let you know about this lack of heat, you can change the circuitry for the Seat Temperature Sensors so that the Heaters will work as one would expect them to. As with the Spoiler Light-Bar there are commercially available, what they call "Amplifiers" that accomplish the same thing.

See attached pictures of the first two above. There is also a picture of the commercially available Heated Seat "Amplifier". How to do the DIY Seat Heater modification is the pdf file that is attached.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts