GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It could be that I was so tired from working the night before, but I am having a terrible time trying to reinstall my side cover on the battery side of my 2016. Is there a trick to which grommet to start with? My 2008 wasn’t nearly as difficult. I realize I have to open the side saddle bag first, but I’m still having trouble. Thanks.

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
If i recall i start with front one. Get it up under lip of seat and the bag ones kinda help get it in line

Reactions: Bruce Smith

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
You need to slip it UP behind the seat and line it up to where it would be if pushed in. For me it is easiest to push the pin into the right grommet then the left side. I wet the pins or grommets with slobber because it dries and leaves a tight fit. I have used a little vaseline or white grease in the past but I like the way it holds if I use slobber. AKA spit. Practice practice practice. Others will chime in but the big thing is to get the top behind the seat. You can do it.

Reactions: Bruce Smith

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Is there a trick to which grommet to start with?
Remove the seat first, install the side cover, and reinstall the seat. Or do like this guy did, not remove the seat and break the boss off from over stressing the plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
I broke the tab off mine last year. It was late november, and going into storage. I accidentally let the key on for about 3 days and completley killed the battery. I figured I could take the cove off with out taking off the seat and the to tab broke. It is still that way. The seat holds everything in. Some day I will have to get some jb weld and fix it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I must be lucky. I have owned my 2008 for about eight years and removed the side covers countless times with the seat in place. I haven't broken a tab. However, I don't do this when the temperature is under 60 degrees.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I must be lucky. I have owned my 2008 for about eight years and removed the side covers countless times with the seat in place. I haven't broken a tab. However, I don't do this when the temperature is under 60 degrees.
Honda completely changed the side panel design for the 2012-17s, and the OP has the newer design.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, chrisashbrook! I’ll try that, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts