GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a ongoing issue with Honda on my 2017 Gold Wing. I purchased the bike new in April 2018. I took the bike from MI to AZ in November, 2018 and upon arrival I found the battery was dead. No visible reasons as to why the battery was dead as the key was not in the bike and I have no add-ons other than SAE connections for electrical gear and a trailer wiring isolation unit on the bike. I charged the battery and did not have any further problems until returning to MI to AZ in April 2019. Upon returning to MI and trying to start the bike, the battery was again dead. Upon trying to jumping the battery the solenoids begin clicking with the key in the off position. Disconnected and Removed the battery, I charged the battery and reconnected it to the bike and the bike was fine. Took the bike to Honda and they replaced the two starter solenoids and the starter switch assembly even though the bike was operating fine. Went to AZ in October 2019 and the bike was fine until Jan 2020 when I went out to start the bike. Upon turning the key on and pushing the start button the solenoids could be heard clicking again. I turned the key off and the solenoids continued to click. I had to pull the battery cables off to get it to stop. I charged the battery again. I put the battery back into the bike and upon connecting the battery cables the bike wants to start with the key in the off position.(SEE VIDEO). I was unable to connect the battery without the starter turning. I was unable to ride the motorcycle because I could not hook up the battery without the starter turning. I transported the bike to the dealership in AZ and when they got a chance to look at it they could not duplicate the issue. They hooked the battery up and no problem. Honda told them they had to duplicate the issue before they would do anything. They have had the bike for nearly a month and cannot duplicate the issue. They load tested the battery and said it failed the load test. I have not picked up the bike yet but plan on having a third party do a load test on the battery. Honda says that since they can find no problem with the bike (even though I have a video of what it was doing) they will not pay the $140.00 Diagnostic Fee that the dealership charged. Remember I could not ride the bike in because of the starter running when connected to the battery and had a video of the issue at hand. I purchased a 60 month extended warranty on the bike.
I believe that I still have an issue with the solenoids and they are sticking and then disengage when they are jarred by transporting the bike. I certainly didn't expect to be charged $140.00 for a bike that was under warranty and wouldn't run. I have dealt with Honda customer care which should be actually called Honda Customer I could careless. I have not gotten any type of concern about what their PREMIER TOURING bike is doing. This is my 5th Gold Wing and cannot believe Honda will not stand behind this bike.

Any ideas on what direction I should be going with this.....has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
See this post:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I wonder what they might say if you mention having a lawyer look into this $140.00 fee, as well as having clear video of a fault that needs immediate attention. if you had not done anything, the bike could be burned up by now. Not to mention any facility you may have had the bike inside of (garage attached to a home-comes to mind).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Who wired in the Trailer Isolation Unit ? Was a trailer hooked up to the bike at the time if the issue??

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ever consider that it has a bad ignition switch? Next time it does it could you disconnect the battery then find the plug connector and do some checking with an ohm meter? Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went down that road with no results... pretty disgusted with lack of any concern from Honda's customer care....guaranteed something is going to burn up in it next time even if I have to recharge the battery to do it......

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
Any ideas on what direction I should be going with this.....has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks
Do you have the flashing headlamp accessory ???

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I went down that road with no results... pretty disgusted with lack of any concern from Honda's customer care....guaranteed something is going to burn up in it next time even if I have to recharge the battery to do it......
Sad situation for you to be in. if something is burnt up, they will be able to replicate it. Sorry your in this dilemma.

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
I do not have a headlamp modulator...
Sorry ... if I remember correctly, the symptom I am thinking of would not allow the bike to turn off when the key was turned off ... different symptom. Have you done an advanced searched of your symptom ???

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a ongoing issue with Honda on my 2017 Gold Wing. I purchased the bike new in April 2018. I took the bike from MI to AZ in November, 2018 and upon arrival I found the battery was dead. No visible reasons as to why the battery was dead as the key was not in the bike and I have no add-ons other than SAE connections for electrical gear and a trailer wiring isolation unit on the bike. I charged the battery and did not have any further problems until returning to MI to AZ in April 2019. Upon returning to MI and trying to start the bike, the battery was again dead. Upon trying to jumping the battery the solenoids begin clicking with the key in the off position. Disconnected and Removed the battery, I charged the battery and reconnected it to the bike and the bike was fine. Took the bike to Honda and they replaced the two starter solenoids and the starter switch assembly even though the bike was operating fine. CON'T BELOW

Went to AZ in October 2019 and the bike was fine until Jan 2020 when I went out to start the bike. Upon turning the key on and pushing the start button the solenoids could be heard clicking again. I turned the key off and the solenoids continued to click. I had to pull the battery cables off to get it to stop. I charged the battery again. I put the battery back into the bike and upon connecting the battery cables the bike wants to start with the key in the off position.(SEE VIDEO). I was unable to connect the battery without the starter turning. I was unable to ride the motorcycle because I could not hook up the battery without the starter turning. I transported the bike to the dealership in AZ and when they got a chance to look at it they could not duplicate the issue. They hooked the battery up and no problem. Honda told them they had to duplicate the issue before they would do anything. They have had the bike for nearly a month and cannot duplicate the issue. They load tested the battery and said it failed the load test. I have not picked up the bike yet but plan on having a third party do a load test on the battery. Honda says that since they can find no problem with the bike (even though I have a video of what it was doing) they will not pay the $140.00 Diagnostic Fee that the dealership charged. Remember I could not ride the bike in because of the starter running when connected to the battery and had a video of the issue at hand. I purchased a 60 month extended warranty on the bike.
I believe that I still have an issue with the solenoids and they are sticking and then disengage when they are jarred by transporting the bike. I certainly didn't expect to be charged $140.00 for a bike that was under warranty and wouldn't run. I have dealt with Honda customer care which should be actually called Honda Customer I could careless. I have not gotten any type of concern about what their PREMIER TOURING bike is doing. This is my 5th Gold Wing and cannot believe Honda will not stand behind this bike.

Thanks
I would recommend you contact your state's Office of Consumer Affairs (usually a Division of Attorney General's office) in writing that: a) problem came up a year ago and was repaired at no charge; b) problem has returned, dealer refuses to repair and wants to charge a fee to get it back with no other work being done and c) you contacted the factory customer service and spoke to this person on this date and time. These fine government officials will assist you in an acceptable resolution.

·
Vendor
21,306 Posts
It's possible you still have a sticking solenoid, and that would be the first thing I would check, even though they have already been replaced. The solenoids on this bike have a high failure rate.

Another more remote possibility is a short in the wire harness. I know of several bikes that have continued to run after the key is shut off due to a harness short. Those problems are much more difficult to troubleshoot, and normally don't cause the starter motor to run.

I don't know where you're located, but if you can bring me the bike, I'd be happy to see if I can locate the failure.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If the dealer cannot duplicate the problem you are having, how can they fix something when they cannot find what's wrong? Electrical problem can be challenging at times. I would continue to pursue the dealer until they can come up with an answer. I am not one to call in legal action. If there is an issue, I sit down with the dealer to come up with an acceptable solution for all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would recommend you contact your state's Office of Consumer Affairs (usually a Division of Attorney General's office) in writing that: a) problem came up a year ago and was repaired at no charge; b) problem has returned, dealer refuses to repair and wants to charge a fee to get it back with no other work being done and c) you contacted the factory customer service and spoke to this person on this date and time. These fine government officials will assist you in an acceptable resolution.
Thanks.. just have to figure out what state...live in Michigan, purchased the bike in Indiana, currently in Arizona for the winter....thanks for the direction

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I cannot duplicate the problem nor can Honda....Honda is now saying the battery failed a load test. Seems awkward to me to identify the problem as the battery when it happened 4 different times since the bike was new in May 2018. The time span from the last time to the previous time it happened was 8 months. Seems like it would have happened in a shorter period if it is truly the battery. Not having any other starting issues except for this happening very sporadically. Took the battery to two different auto parts store....First said the battery was good. Second one said the battery was bad. Good voltage but no CCA. Came home put the battery back in and bike cranks really good and starts fine. Have you ever heard of a battery being damaged internally where can go from good to bad by jarring it? Could it have a damaged plate inside that would cause it to go from good to bad....Battery is original a little over 1 1/2 old. First time the issue showed up was about 15 months ago...six months after purchasing the bike.

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
I cannot duplicate the problem nor can Honda....Honda is now saying the battery failed a load test. Seems awkward to me to identify the problem as the battery when it happened 4 different times since the bike was new in May 2018. The time span from the last time to the previous time it happened was 8 months. Seems like it would have happened in a shorter period if it is truly the battery. Not having any other starting issues except for this happening very sporadically. Took the battery to two different auto parts store....First said the battery was good. Second one said the battery was bad. Good voltage but no CCA. Came home put the battery back in and bike cranks really good and starts fine. Have you ever heard of a battery being damaged internally where can go from good to bad by jarring it? Could it have a damaged plate inside that would cause it to go from good to bad....Battery is original a little over 1 1/2 old. First time the issue showed up was about 15 months ago...six months after purchasing the bike.
Since Honda is not able to duplicate the issue, I doubt that they would say that your issue is caused by your battery. However, the heart to the entire electrical system on your Wing is the battery. No electrical system on your Wing can be relied on if the battery is not healthy. If at times the battery tests bad, that means that the battery is bad at times, and thus needs replaced. Since it needs replaced anyway, cross your fingers and hopefully it fixes other problems as well. Low voltage on a vehicle that uses relays to power many of its systems can wreak havoc on some or all.

If you are looking for positive blame, rarely in these days of electronics will you get one. With that usually comes no guarantee that your issue is ever fixed. Here is the most important thing to remember about your issue. That until it can be determined otherwise, it is just that ... your issue ... not Honda's, not your neighbors, not your mama's, but yours. The best one can do, is to take it to a shop they trust in hopes for best guidance, so if it is at a shop you trust, have them replace your battery.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Yes, I have experienced intermittent bad batteries from time to time. These were genuine equipment, BRAND NEW CARS with very few miles on them that had reoccurring (for the owner)-unrepeatable (at our dealership)-symptoms. That warranty( the department) eventually issued blanket campaigns on allowing replacement under a series of complaints/circumstances Listed in the campaign.
Bottom line for you, if you have had the battery fail 1 test, replace it. That marginal battery could have damaged the replacement starter relays again. Read as-replace them again if any irregularities develop. If it were mine, I might just do them anyway. This bike will become reliable, just need to work this bug out.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
I wonder what they might say if you mention having a lawyer look into this $140.00 fee, as well as having clear video of a fault that needs immediate attention. if you had not done anything, the bike could be burned up by now. Not to mention any facility you may have had the bike inside of (garage attached to a home-comes to mind).
I agree with you because like you said he clearly has a video showing the problem. Total BS on Honda's part.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts