GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm exploring possibilities in getting back up to speed after slamming my 2010 into a deer. Fix it, find another of that generation used (port over farkles), and go all in on a newer one are all possibilities.

I'm still researching and am sure the answer is out there, but lazy question...

I heard of someone who grabbed a 2018/19 Goldwing model (the bagger, not the "Tour") and mounted a top case. Because the aftermarket top case they got was a lot less pokey than the OEM version on the Tour model.

What are the pros & cons?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your deer encounter.
My NRA magazine says more deer are taken with cars every year than hunters.

This was taken from an early Wing review from last year...

"There are a large number of features left off the $23,500 base manual-transmission model like a centerstand, HSTC (traction control), a heated seat, reverse, front/rear electric damping and preload adjuster, and tire pressure numbered readouts..
All of these decisions were made in the interest of saving weight and making the bike more approachable to younger riders."

I cut and pasted a comparison chart to help with the different model differences.
Jefro.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I knew it wasn't as poorly equipped as the F6B was, but figured there were some things missing. Super helpful.

I was reading up about the kit on the Tour model to make the top case removable. Not really what I'm after. But the drive and suspension and seat heater hits are definitely cons.

·
Banned
47 Posts
I would have bought the base Gold Wing if my dealer had one in stock. But they had the 18 Tour MT and made me such a smoking deal on it and basically bought back my POS M8 King. So I ended up with the tour and glad I did!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
id buy the tour and use the removal kit max offers. easy to use. youll get all the extras a tour provides and more money on a trade in or on the sale if youre ready to move on.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ thanks. Good thought. But 180 out from my intent.

My original post may not have been clear about my intent. I'm not after a bagger. I want the full dresser with top case. The OEM top box is tiny. Looking at alternate ways to get there with more room.

I guess I could get a Tour, remove its top box then add another one, but now that's really building a Rube Goldberg device. Alternate plan is to just not pack so much and deal with the OEM top box. That's looking like it may be the smart route.

I think the combo of resale value and I want the features the Tour has but the non-Tour doesn't rule out my hack idea.

·
Registered
413 Posts

My original post may not have been clear about my intent. I'm not after a bagger. I want the full dresser with top case. The OEM top box is tiny. Looking at alternate ways to get there with more room.

I guess I could get a Tour, remove its top box then add another one, but now that's really building a Rube Goldberg device. Alternate plan is to just not pack so much and deal with the OEM top box. That's looking like it may be the smart route.

I think the combo of resale value and I want the features the Tour has but the non-Tour doesn't rule out my hack idea.
Take a look at the Pakit Rack. If you don't need the extra room all the time it's a good option. Wife and I just ran it for 4000 miles. I really didn't know it was there.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,302 Posts

Corbin has the bigger lids to make the saddlebags bigger - I would have been all over that if I didn't just buy a NOS 2017 instead. That may be an option for you and then you could leave the trunk alone. Or replace that too and have a ton of storage! :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
.......I want the full dresser with top case. The OEM top box is tiny. Looking at alternate ways to get there with more room.......

You could add the luggage rack to the top of the trunk, and that would help a bit with the storage.
And the Pakit Rak really seems like a great option for road trips.

Or you could do like Nate Mayo did in his postings of an alternative LARGE BOX for his Standard Wing.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193...97-mounting-pelican-1620-my-luggage-rack.html

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193...ose-new-goldwings-don-t-have-any-storage.html

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

my bad. i misunderstood. i suspect corbin will be coming out with a larger trunk. as someone said, they have the larger saddle bags. i packed a full tool kit, air compressor, puncture kit, etc.. and 4 days worth of clothes for my wife and i and we had room. i bought a dry bag for the luggage rack in case we bought anything or needed it. never used it. if i need more ill go with the pakit rak but i figure she'd do laundry every four days so theres no need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts