GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I put my 2018 on the center stand in an asphalt parking lot. Within about 1.5 hours, it had buried the center stand pads in the parking lot and fallen over. It rolled over past the tip over guards and scratched up my saddle bag cover, my right mirror cover and of course the tip-over bar plastic protectors. It really took vengeance on my Aeropeg on that side. The mirror may have some real issues as the inside edge seems to have snapped apart. I have not taken it apart to see what the real problem is. If it is just the painted part, that is not bad, but it could be more than that.

I was able to find the saddle bag painted plastics on Ebay for a good price. If that does not work out the part from Honda is a bit pricy. I'll have to call Rivco and see what parts they will sell me of their pegs. I thought I remembered that they would only sell one side including all the bolts and brackets, but I could be wrong.

I've actually had a problem with asphalt before but not when it was this temperature which was the mid 80s. I've also not had a motorcycle fall over due to soft asphalt before. I've had the pads sink down to where the back wheel was on the ground, but this time I had the cover on and it was a bit windy so I assume the combination was what contributed to the tip over.

Registered
2018 Tour, Candy Ardent red
Sorry to hear 馃檮 The Wing is a heavy bike and the center stand provides a roughly 3-4 square inches of total surface contact area when down.

For the side stand, there are plenty of options available so I won't cover them....

For the center stand, in the summer I actually carry a piece of 1/2" plywood scrap - approximately 8"x14" - in my trunk that the bike sits on when the center stand is down on hot days in asphalt.... Got the idea from work - with so many motorcyclists at my site, the maintenance department put a dozen or more similar pieces of 1/2" plywood out in the typical bike parking spots for side/center stands.

Work like charm.

TD

Registered
Well, there鈥檚 a cautionary tale - I鈥檇 never expect that. Was there anything you noticed afterwards that in retrospect might have served as a warning that you were parking in a tar pit? The noses of buried cars barely breaking the surface - things like that? Seriously though, sorry that happened - must have really sucked to come back and find that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Argghhh! So sorry about that. The aggravation alone adds so much insult to the injury. Good luck finding parts and getting the bike back in shape.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch. The stay that supports the mirror is bent. I did not see it initially but it is. I thought this was going to be a DIY as the cost was not going to be much more than my deductible but not any more.

Registered
Wow, I am really paranoid on hot days of this happening. I always throw down my side stand pad after a near miss a few years ago. Good luck on the repairs.

Registered
All I have is Traxxion鈥檚 kickstand pad. This makes me reconsider if that would be enough.

Registered
Learned that lesson back in 88 when my ZX10 sank into the parking lot in Virginia Beach. Try getting the bike out once the asphalt cools and you can鈥檛 rock the bike forward. That was a PITA. I now carry a small square of metal I use for the side stand. I don鈥檛 use the center stand on asphalt when it鈥檚 hot. Crushed soda can will work in a pinch.

Reactions: thekid and Tony_C

Registered
There's few things that suck more than dropping your bike, let alone coming back to find it like you did. Never experienced this type of thing before. I usually don't use the center stand for a short term stay and I installed the Traxxion kickstand pad just for the added footprint when the side stand is down. It's very well made and blends in nicely with the lines of the bike. Good luck getting your baby fixed!

Registered
All I have is Traxxion鈥檚 kickstand pad. This makes me reconsider if that would be enough.
It is. Traxxion and rivco pads, either one (prefer traxxion) are enough to keep that skinny pos Honda footpad from sinking in soft materials.

Honda keeps going for the cool look that worked for the 350's, but not the heavier bikes nowadays.

Reactions: Glockjock

Registered
The OP stated he had the bike on the center stand. Your bike will never sink in using the kickstand with the Traxxion pad...I only put my bike on the center stand when it's on concrete, and usually only in my garage. On blacktop or any other soft surface I use the kickstand...I also have the Traxxion pad installed...

Registered
Terry, look at this:

$5.95 at the Harley store. It's about 5 inches wide so it provides a good area of flat surface to support your bike. You can also pick up some Original Bike Spirit Spray polish there too.

I store one in my left saddlebag. It's only about 1/4 " thick so it doesn't take up much room.

Registered
What I find so disappointing about this is the inadequate protection provided by the guard bars. The previous model would have sustained no damage or just a little scratch on the chrome of the bars. Motorman mentioned the availablilty of better aftermarket guard bars, have any of you spotted those yet?

prs

Reactions: gkarasik

Registered
Terry, look at this:

View attachment 384801

$5.95 at the Harley store. It's about 5 inches wide so it provides a good area of flat surface to support your bike. You can also pick up some Original Bike Spirit Spray polish there too.

I store one in my left saddlebag. It's only about 1/4 " thick so it doesn't take up much room.
How do you put that on the center stand?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One of the pads sunk in about 2 inches and the other barely left a divot. It was a bit windy and I tend to put the motorcycle on the center stand in the wind. I'll have some time to figure out a solution while the motorcycle is in the shop. :cautious:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's proven that a bike on the side stand is much more resistant to being blown over than one on the center stand. Lower center of gravity and 3 heavy points of contact and other physics.
In this case I am sure the worst thing that would have happened if it were on the side stand was it would have left a small divot on the asphalt. I was trying to be cautious and in the process was stupid. The winds were under 20 MPH and even with the cover on it, the motorcycle could not have been pushed over by that wind.

I have always felt like the motorcycle was more stable on the center stand. I would be really curious to know how this was proven and if it was a general result or a particular motorcycle.

Registered
Terry, take a piece of chalk and mark the three points where your tires and sidestand meet the floor. Connect these points. Then do the same with the tires and the centerstand. Which has the greater area? That is the one that will give you greater stability. If you notice, the tires and centerstand are almost a straight line. Also 4 points are less stable on uneven surfaces. Old time farmers knew this and their milk stools had three legs. :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Terry, take a piece of chalk and mark the three points where your tires and sidestand meet the floor. Connect these points. Then do the same with the tires and the centerstand. Which has the greater area? That is the one that will give you greater stability. If you notice, the tires and centerstand are almost a straight line. Also 4 points are less stable on uneven surfaces. Old time farmers knew this and their milk stools had three legs. :D
In what case is there 4 points involved? Also, your example hardly holds true for a motorcycle. It can easily roll forward off of the side stand, but not so much the center stand. It also does not hold true because the front and back tires while holding most of the weight with the motorcycle on its side stand do not provide any lateral stability. If the wheel base were twice as long, the motorcycle on its side stand would have a significantly larger support triangle, but the lateral stability would not be changed at all.

I had to think about this for a minute. If you are pushing the motorcycle off of the side stand, you are lifting far less of the motorcycle's weight than if you push it over when it is on the side stand. It would be interesting to measure the force required to push the bike sideways off the center stand vs the side stand.

In any case, I was still wrong putting it on its center stand on asphalt.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts