GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
What I find so disappointing about this is the inadequate protection provided by the guard bars. The previous model would have sustained no damage or just a little scratch on the chrome of the bars. Motorman mentioned the availablilty of better aftermarket guard bars, have any of you spotted those yet?
prs
$$$$ Yes I have..they are sold as a place to add lights to. I'll try to find them.

·
Registered
911 Posts
$$$$ Yes I have..they are sold as a place to add lights to. I'll try to find them.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
How do you put that on the center stand?
It is for the kickstand. As usual, Harley has a different name than the rest of the industry. They call it a Jiffy Stand, and Harley even has a name for the PAD. It's called the Jiffy Stand Coaster! Sounds like something you put your Jack n Coke on , doesn't it? LOL!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
The OP stated he had the bike on the center stand. Your bike will never sink in using the kickstand with the Traxxion pad...I only put my bike on the center stand when it's on concrete, and usually only in my garage. On blacktop or any other soft surface I use the kickstand...I also have the Traxxion pad installed...
I completely agree. I only use the center stand on my concrete garage floor when doing maintenance, checking the rear tire pressure or washing the bike. The side stand provides tip-over protection that is superior to the center stand for every day use. I use a kickstand pad for dirt, grass, gravel or hot asphalt parking. In over 20 years, I've never had a bike tip-over.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Side stand is much more stable. Prove it to yourself like this. Put bike on side stand. Push on either side as if you were trying to turn bike over. Note amount of force required to move it even a TINY bit. Put bike on center stand. Push on either side as if you were trying to turn bike over. Much easier to topple it. Please try it!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Terry, take a piece of chalk and mark the three points where your tires and sidestand meet the floor. Connect these points. Then do the same with the tires and the centerstand. Which has the greater area? That is the one that will give you greater stability. If you notice, the tires and centerstand are almost a straight line. Also 4 points are less stable on uneven surfaces. Old time farmers knew this and their milk stools had three legs. :D
I want to add, on CS the rear wheel isn’t even in complete contact with the ground. That is how I am able to check rear tire pressure, CS and then I can lie drown and spin the back tire until the valve stem is accessible. So the 4th contact point isn’t truly there.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
When parking on blacktop, grass or gravel, I always used the side stand with a electrical junction box cover to make the contact area of my side stand foot larger.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think some of the responsibility of an inadequate design falls on Honda. This very well could be a safety issue. What happens if a small child was walking by the bike when this fell over in a parking lot. The child could have been killed or suffered some major injury. I would reach out to Honda, they need to, at a minimum, do an investigation of this...anyone remember the kids getting pulled under the Peloton treadmills? If you get nowhere with Honda then I would seek legal console for damages at a minimum and definitely report this to D.O.T.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The only time I have ever had a MC tip over parked was covered and on the center stand. The cover will act like a sail in windy conditions.
When it’s windy best thing is on the side stand with the kickstand on the down wind side of the bike is what I believe. That is assuming no sinking in of the kickstand though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've never heard of this happening before. I was thinking that the asphalt may have had a weak spot on one side vs. the other. That would have indeed caused this to happen. Note to self: NEVER put the bike on its center-stand on hot asphalt.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've never heard of this happening before. I was thinking that the asphalt may have had a weak spot on one side vs. the other. That would have indeed caused this to happen. Note to self: NEVER put the bike on its center-stand on hot asphalt.
Or the wind pushed one side so the force caused it to sink.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have had the center stand pads on my 2009 sink into the asphalt to where it took some rocking to get them out. I also had my side stand sink into asphalt deep enough I was not sure I was going to be able to get it out by myself, but it did not fall over.

It appeared that the asphalt was bad under my right center stand pad.

·
Registered
2019 Gold Wing Tour - Hawkseye Blue
67 Posts
I think some of the responsibility of an inadequate design falls on Honda. This very well could be a safety issue. What happens if a small child was walking by the bike when this fell over in a parking lot. The child could have been killed or suffered some major injury. I would reach out to Honda, they need to, at a minimum, do an investigation of this...anyone remember the kids getting pulled under the Peloton treadmills? If you get nowhere with Honda then I would seek legal console for damages at a minimum and definitely report this to D.O.T.
I can't say that I agree that its a design flaw. The centerstand is a nice addition - none of my HD's had one. The only time I use mine on my 2019 Tour is when I'm checking air in the rear tire or storing it for more than a day or two - in my garage or somewhere inside. Remember the lawsuits from folks who spilled McDonalds takeout coffee on their laps while they were driving? We've become lawsuit crazy - it's not their fault most roads suck or that the fellow in front of you jammed on his brakes. I always carry a kickstand pad - whether you buy a pad marketed as such or, as a fellow above posted, use something else like a junction box pad or a beverage coaster - it'll most likely save you the aggravation of a downed bike.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Honda design flaw? I don't think the center stand is a good choice on asphalt especially on hot days. I carry a piece of plastic for placement under the side stand. It doesn't take up much room in the trunk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yesterday I put my 2018 on the center stand in an asphalt parking lot. Within about 1.5 hours, it had buried the center stand pads in the parking lot and fallen over. It rolled over past the tip over guards and scratched up my saddle bag cover, my right mirror cover and of course the tip-over bar plastic protectors. It really took vengeance on my Aeropeg on that side. The mirror may have some real issues as the inside edge seems to have snapped apart. I have not taken it apart to see what the real problem is. If it is just the painted part, that is not bad, but it could be more than that.

I was able to find the saddle bag painted plastics on Ebay for a good price. If that does not work out the part from Honda is a bit pricy. I'll have to call Rivco and see what parts they will sell me of their pegs. I thought I remembered that they would only sell one side including all the bolts and brackets, but I could be wrong.

I've actually had a problem with asphalt before but not when it was this temperature which was the mid 80s. I've also not had a motorcycle fall over due to soft asphalt before. I've had the pads sink down to where the back wheel was on the ground, but this time I had the cover on and it was a bit windy so I assume the combination was what contributed to the tip over.
Your description of your tip over sounds like an exact replay of my tip over a year ago. I also had Rivco pegs installed and the Right side peg was extended at time of tip over, and it was bent severely upward. I contacted Rivco about buying a new peg. They would only sell them in pairs and they were expensive. I ended up buying them anyway because I wanted to repair the damage. I later decided to replace the Rivco's with pegs from Kuryakyn If you're interested, I'll sell you the complete set of Rivco's for $160.00. That's everything for both sides and includes all parts and fasteners and includes the extra set of pegs I bought, one set black (original) and one set aluminum colored (replacement)

With regard to your damaged mirror. I also damaged my mirror/turnsignal assembly. I had to replace the internal brace and pivot. Purchased replacement paint from Color-Rite on line and parts online. If you have access to Cruzeman's Garage maintenance videos, one of them details how to remove the mirror and disassemble it. The videos from Fred Harmon may also have one for the mirror, but I don't know. The rear saddle bag lid I had repaired and painted professionally. Total cost for mirror, saddle bag lid, paint kit, parts and labor, plus Rivco pegs was $700-800. Good luck.

If you're interested in purchasing my Rivco pegs, contact me. (559-786-6614), ask for Mark.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When I used to work in the shipyard there was a designated area for motorcycle parking. It was asphalt. I must have seen 10 bikes tip over on the center stand through the years. Guys would park in the morning and when it got hot the asphalt would soften. I've always used the side stand with an aftermarket pad such as the Rivco. I like being able to park in gravel or maybe even grass without having to worry about the kickstand sinking in. Don't know why the kickstand doesn't come that way from the factory.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I had a problem with a sinking centerstand back in 1963 when leaving my 100 cc Caprillo parked on fairly new asphalt while I was at work. The centerstand contact was nothing more than bent solid steel rods, about 3/4 inch in diameter. I didn't have a side stand on that bike. Fortunately the bike was lightweight so it never tipped over. Two decades later I went back to that parking lot and found my old divots.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts