GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
One of the pads sunk in about 2 inches and the other barely left a divot. It was a bit windy and I tend to put the motorcycle on the center stand in the wind. I'll have some time to figure out a solution while the motorcycle is in the shop. :cautious:
Your bike will be more susceptible to tip over in high wind on the center stand.
I was at WingDing in Fort Wayne several years ago when a big storm blew through.
The bikes on side stands were ok but every bike that was on the center stand blew over.
Sounds counterintuitive but that’s my observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Gotta wonder what engineers were thinking when they designed the center stand with what appears to be insufficient area. Most of us know not to put the bike on the side stand because of the small area there. So we go through the hassle of putting it up on the center stand to avoid exactly what took place. On extremely hot days like 110 and above, some of us would suspect a problem even on the center stand. But not in the 80's. Really sorry to hear this happened to you. Good luck with repair cost.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,230 Posts
Maybe some of you guys who are trying to blame Honda should be blaming the asphalt company for not mixing it right..Ive never seen asphalt sink in only 80 degree weather...there is nothing wrong with Honda's centerstand design..in fact its designed pretty darn well..its easy to use , tucks away nicely under the bike and doesn't drag in the corners.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I always just used a coffee can lid for all my two-wheel bikes (I am three-wheeler now, sidecar rig). I drill a hole and attached a cord and carry it in the fairing pocket. When stopped I just dangled the lid down to the pavement and position it under the side stand and loop the top over the handlebar. When leaving I just straighten up the bike, and pull the lid up and store it away.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Maybe some of you guys who are trying to blame Honda should be blaming the asphalt company for not mixing it right..Ive never seen asphalt sink in only 80 degree weather...there is nothing wrong with Honda's centerstand design..in fact its designed pretty darn well..its easy to use , tucks away nicely under the bike and doesn't drag in the corners.
And it's placed so a person can actually get an 840 lb. bike up on it...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Most of us know not to put the bike on the side stand because of the small area there. So we go through the hassle of putting it up on the center stand to avoid exactly what took place.
The majority of the replies on this topic show exactly the opposite of what you've stated above. There's no doubt that a bike on a side stand is more stable than a bike on a center stand for every day use. It takes less than 30 seconds to put a pad under the side stand when parked on asphalt on a hot day or any other surface of concern. As for blaming Honda for a "poorly designed" center stand, well that's just ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Yesterday I put my 2018 on the center stand in an asphalt parking lot. Within about 1.5 hours, it had buried the center stand pads in the parking lot and fallen over. It rolled over past the tip over guards and scratched up my saddle bag cover, my right mirror cover and of course the tip-over bar plastic protectors. It really took vengeance on my Aeropeg on that side. The mirror may have some real issues as the inside edge seems to have snapped apart. I have not taken it apart to see what the real problem is. If it is just the painted part, that is not bad, but it could be more than that.

I was able to find the saddle bag painted plastics on Ebay for a good price. If that does not work out the part from Honda is a bit pricy. I'll have to call Rivco and see what parts they will sell me of their pegs. I thought I remembered that they would only sell one side including all the bolts and brackets, but I could be wrong.

I've actually had a problem with asphalt before but not when it was this temperature which was the mid 80s. I've also not had a motorcycle fall over due to soft asphalt before. I've had the pads sink down to where the back wheel was on the ground, but this time I had the cover on and it was a bit windy so I assume the combination was what contributed to the tip over.
I believe that they have changed the mixture for blacktop. The entire parking lot at my employer had been done in 2008-9 ’ish, and had to be completely replaced again just before my retirement in 2019. We used 12”x12” metal plates to help us motorcycle riders, but the whole thing was crumbling in the corners and pealing off in high traffic areas. Hope your repairs are going ok.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Been riding a long time. Never seen anybody use their center stand in a parking lot.
Why?\
On the centrestand, I always find it easier accessing both saddlebags and easier to wipe down the accumulated detritus with the bike bolt upright.

My riding buddies and I ALWAYS park our bikes on the centrestand in the motel parking lot at the end of each day, The bikes are so much easier to work on that way. And yes, some of these guys are wiping down front and rear wheels as part of their end of day routines. Makes perfect sense to me.

Tim

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,230 Posts
Why not just carry one of these in the saddlebag at all times so if the need arises you are prepared. I only use it when parking on grass.
20210425_180303.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've only used the center stand on my wing on cement. I've seen too much soft asphalt and don't trust putting all that weight on the center stand. Put the weight on the tires plus the kickstand on a steel plate.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I believe that they have changed the mixture for blacktop. The entire parking lot at my employer had been done in 2008-9 ’ish, and had to be completely replaced again just before my retirement in 2019. We used 12”x12” metal plates to help us motorcycle riders, but the whole thing was crumbling in the corners and pealing off in high traffic areas. Hope your repairs are going ok.
I'm still trying to get the insurance company to look at it.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
I would like to thank everyone for their participation in this thread. I have learned a fewof things. 1) I feel adequately "chastised" for putting my Goldwing on the center stand on asphalt. I assure everyone I will not do that again. Not only will the repair cost me some money, but it will cost me several weeks of riding. 2) Very few of the Goldwingers that replied to this thread actually use the center stand any place but their garage. 3) My reaction that the motorcycle is easier to tip over on the side stand than the center stand is a definite minority opinion. I am going to measure the force required to pull the motorcycle away from the side stand vs tipping it when it is on the center stand if I can find a suitable scale. I have always felt more secure standing on a peg to mount the motorcycle when it was on the center stand, but I can see I was probably fooling myself. That would especially be true if I used the front brake to keep the motorcycle from rolling forward while I mounted it.

I do wish I had the presence of mind to take a picture of the motorcycle laying on its right side with the back wheel in the air. It really looked pathetic. :(

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I have an update of sorts. It has been two weeks and I am close to getting an estimate. It turns out that the shop found scratches on the cylinder head as well as the other damage that was found. It looks like the repair bill will be right at $3000 and I'm going to lose at least 2 months of riding. It turns out the upper cowl stay on the 2018+ models is more expensive than the stay on the older models. The biggest costs will be labor and the saddle bag.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Ouch 😲
$650 for the saddle bag panel, $750 or so for labor and things start to add up fast. The Rivco Areopegs did not help the costs either. I thought they had protected the cylinder head but they did not. When I got to the motorcycle in the parking lot it was laying completely on its side with both front and back tires in the air. The thing that made me think the damage might be a significant than expected was the mirror being both popped apart and folded in. It was not till I looked at it for a few minutes at home that I realized the stay was bent.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have an update of sorts. It has been two weeks and I am close to getting an estimate. It turns out that the shop found scratches on the cylinder head as well as the other damage that was found. It looks like the repair bill will be right at $3000 and I'm going to lose at least 2 months of riding. It turns out the upper cowl stay on the 2018+ models is more expensive than the stay on the older models. The biggest costs will be labor and the saddle bag.
So sorry it’s going to cost that much. Ouch! Not to mention the downtime 😢

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
So sorry it’s going to cost that much. Ouch! Not to mention the downtime 😢
I appreciate that, but it was obviously my fault. In this case, I really can't blame anyone else. The thing that is frustrating to me is this is my first season with the '18. I bought it new last fall.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts