GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning the new bike and I bumped the honda plate on the back. It popped off and there is a key slot under there. Any idea 1 what it does and 2 what key goes in there? I only have a key fob.

·
Love The DCT
11,553 Posts
I was cleaning the new bike and I bumped the honda plate on the back. It popped off and there is a key slot under there. Any idea 1 what it does and 2 what key goes in there? I only have a key fob.
See pages 187 and 208 in the owner‘s manual. You put the emergency key in the key slot which opens the left saddlebag. From there, you can open the right saddlebag and proceed to do the emergency start procedure If you lose the key fob or its battery goes dead.

·
Registered
35 Posts
See pages 187 and 208 in the owner‘s manual. You put the emergency key in the key slot which opens the left saddlebag. From there, you can open the right saddlebag and proceed to do the emergency start procedure If you lose the key fob or its battery goes dead.
Key is inside your key fob. Look in the end. Push in and it will eject.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Don’t lose that key, some take it out and hide it on the bike in case they lose their fob. Just make sure it’s not in a locked compartment if you hide it on the bike. Maybe you can get a duplicate key made for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have considered buying another fob and turning it "off" and putting it in the left saddlebag. If you have the extra key hidden on the bike somewhere at least you could get going if you lost your key fob. I have never lost any keys but why not be prepared...Any thoughts?

·
Registered
16,683 Posts
USA 2018 came with 1 fob, 2 keys, I paper strip with entry code, I metal tag with key cutting code. If you dealer or previous owner only gave the fob to you get in touch with them.

USA 2020 comes with all of above and one more fob.

Vern

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you at least get the key code tag? For the '19 owners, did both fobs come with the emergency key or just one? Both fobs were missing on my '19. Went to my dealer and was told they only come with one after checking the fobs on the other packages. That did not make sense, so the ordered me two blanks. I had the large emergency key and the key code tag for them to use to cut the new blanks.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Did you at least get the key code tag? For the '19 owners, did both fobs come with the emergency key or just one? Both fobs were missing on my '19. Went to my dealer and was told they only come with one after checking the fobs on the other packages. That did not make sense, so the ordered me two blanks. I had the large emergency key and the key code tag for them to use to cut the new blanks.
2019 DCT Tour....
I got (2) fobs, 1-fob key, 1-regular key, and ID tags.
I ordered another fob key and had it cut so both fobs have keys.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Brain, is it just me that thinks it was stupid to have just 1 fob key and 2 fobs? So glad my dealer is taking care of me.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Brain, is it just me that thinks it was stupid to have just 1 fob key and 2 fobs? So glad my dealer is taking care of me.
Yea it 's silly.....probably saved them a few pennies.
Not a big deal getting another fob key, but getting it cut locally was a challenge.

Nobody uses keys anymore and locksmiths are getting rare....the automated machines won't take a key I bring in.
Luckily found an old ACE store with an old-school cutting machines.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yea it 's silly.....probably saved them a few pennies.
Not a big deal getting another fob key, but getting it cut locally was a challenge.

Nobody uses keys anymore and locksmiths are getting rare....the automated machines won't take a key I bring in.
Luckily found an old ACE store with an old-school cutting machines.
I still use keys, car, truck and house. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts