GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Vendor
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a guy contact me and told me he had heard of a couple of bikes (and actually saw one) where an object in the road had hit the bottom of the new Wing, and broke the shift shaft boss off and opened a hole in the engine cases!

The redesigned motor has the shift shaft at the leading edge of the engine cases in front of the oil filter. I could see how this could easily happen.

That would be one helluvan insurance claim.

I emailed back and asked him what dealership he saw this at, and asked if he could send a photo.

Has anyone seen or heard about this?

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume this is only on the 6 speed?
I don't have a DCT here to inspect how the front is constructed on that engine.

I know they sell a kit to allow you to footshift the DCT. Not sure how all of that mounts up.

If anyone has any DCT photos, I would be interested to see what on the undercarriage there.

·
Vendor
19,607 Posts
I've seen a total of four 5th gens with holes in there cases. Of the four, 3 had belly pans. As for 6th gens, as of yet, I've not seen any yet with broken cases.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I don't have a DCT here to inspect how the front is constructed on that engine.

I know they sell a kit to allow you to footshift the DCT. Not sure how all of that mounts up.

If anyone has any DCT photos, I would be interested to see what on the undercarriage there.
Just looked at mine. (DCT) The "boss" is there, but no shifter shaft or linkage. (I do not have foot shifter option)

·
Registered
483 Posts
well if I was buying a pre 18.. I wouldn't leave the dealership with out a belly pan.. seen too many radiator over flow tanks hole punched.. so...

sure someone will design a skid plate of some sort...

ok just saw who started thread... next product idea for ya Max

·
Registered
56 Posts
Max, I am the one that sent you the info. The dealer that has these two damaged wings is Maxim Honda Yamaha, Allen, TX.
I have not received an email from you yet.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
The optional foot shift for the DCT is not connected to a shaft, it is an electrical switch just like the paddles. But, if the boss is there, then some of the risk is too.

prs

Reactions: Max McAllister

·
15 year Member
6,993 Posts
Crack????

Mine broke completely in HALF....

but with some bailing wire, duct tape and some JB weld I’m back on the road!!

Ride safe all

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
631 Posts
Really though, how likely is this to happen? I mean something would really have to hit that spot in a very specific way with a lot of force to break the casing like that. Doesn't seem like it would be probable, and it would take something large lying on the road to do it.

But then, if one dealer in Texas has had it happen twice already then wow, maybe that spot is very fragile and easily busted open.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Really though, how likely is this to happen? I mean something would really have to hit that spot in a very specific way with a lot of force to break the casing like that. Doesn't seem like it would be probable, and it would take something large lying on the road to do it.

But then, if one dealer in Texas has had it happen twice already then wow, maybe that spot is very fragile and easily busted open.
So you buying the Blue DCT or what?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

For quite some time there was a lot of discussion as to how bad the tie rod ends are. With all the new 18's on the road and the owners on this forum, it does not seem to be the issue. The pictures of the two Wings after and accident with the front end broke? It seemed to me another mountain made out of a mole hill. I am sure this hole in the case is just another non issue in 99.9%. We also do not know the entire story with the hole in the case.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I had a guy contact me and told me he had heard of a couple of bikes (and actually saw one) where an object in the road had hit the bottom of the new Wing, and broke the shift shaft boss off and opened a hole in the engine cases!

The redesigned motor has the shift shaft at the leading edge of the engine cases in front of the oil filter. I could see how this could easily happen.

That would be one helluvan insurance claim.

I emailed back and asked him what dealership he saw this at, and asked if he could send a photo.

Has anyone seen or heard about this?

Oh lord we need a all new design sur48 pan to protect that shifter linkage and that oil filter looking thingy. This is sirius stuff

1 - 20 of 101 Posts