GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Too long, didn’t watch. But then, I already installed mine. For the ones that don’t want to watch the video, here are the steps.

Front:
1 Take off front wheel.
2 Remove right brake disc
3 Install balancer under removed disc, using new brake disc screws per Honda instructions.
4 Put wheel back on.

Rear:
1 Remove rear wheel.
2 Install balancer on final drive studs.
3 Replace rear wheel.

Not rocket science.

Hint: If you do it when you change your tires, it takes about 10 minutes extra, while you bolt on the front balancer.

You’re welcome.

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
You don t need them on a 18 >:)

So far I agree with you. My 05 & 10 would cup slightly with mileage and adding Centramatic stopped this.

So far with the 18 no cupping

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I have no idea if I really need Centramatics on my 2018 but I was talked into them by my wife who rides a 2012 and also by a friend who has had many Wings over the years. I do like the fact that I don't have any wheel weights. The front tire is showing very little wear after 10000 miles. The rear is wearing in the center.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I am installing my Centramatics after work. What is the torque on the 5 Allen bolts holding the disc in place. I thought I read 12 ft/lbs a while back . . . is that right?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Too long, didn’t watch. But then, I already installed mine. For the ones that don’t want to watch the video, here are the steps.

Front:
1 Take off front wheel.
2 Remove right brake disc
3 Install balancer under removed disc, using new brake disc screws per Honda instructions.
4 Put wheel back on.

Rear:
1 Remove rear wheel.
2 Install balancer on final drive studs.
3 Replace rear wheel.

Not rocket science.

Hint: If you do it when you change your tires, it takes about 10 minutes extra, while you bolt on the front balancer.

You’re welcome.
Did you replace those hollow front caliper bolts that Honda says must be replaced?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am installing my Centramatics after work. What is the torque on the 5 Allen bolts holding the disc in place. I thought I read 12 ft/lbs a while back . . . is that right?

You’re correct. 12 ft/lbs for the disc bolts.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yes, the service manual has them at 12 ft lbs

Nope, just added fresh Loctite.
I did the same thing

EDIT - I type too **** slow

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thanks Freyr! You were fast to respond! :grin2:
Another quick question, as the instruction sheet (photo) is not great . . . It looks like the beads face inwards, yes?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks Freyr! You were fast to respond! :grin2:
Another quick question, as the instruction sheet (photo) is not great . . . It looks like the beads face inwards, yes?
Yes, the beads face inwards on both wheels.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Balanced tires.....

You don t need them on a 18
So far I agree with you. My 05 & 10 would cup slightly with mileage and adding Centramatic stopped this.

So far with the 18 no cupping

Nothing needs them, but everything needs some form of balancing apparatus on the wheels. The choice is what balance method provides the best and longest lasting results. The Centramatic's method always works, takes little effort, and does not need to be re-balanced as the tire wears (and it outlasts many new tires). We tend to not re-balance our tires on our motorcycles like we do on our cars and Centramatic's eliminate that need that no body ever does. For many years, I have always wondered why we do not get them re-balanced at quarter life or even half life of the tire. Car tires tend to be re-balanced 4 to 8 times in the life of the tires but bike tires only get balanced when first installed on the rim and never again. The lack of keeping a wearing down tire balanced could produce cupping and other undesired conditions. I have Centramatic disks because of keeping the tires balanced all the time and I could care less about any of the other claims made by the manufacturer. If any of those claims are true, then great, I will reap those benefits too. A justification for the cost of Centramtic's..... Consider having your tires balanced at least at "half life" over the life of having the bike. If a shop charges $15 to balance "already off the bike" per wheel, eventually, you would have paid for Centramatics.

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
Nothing needs them, but everything needs some form of balancing apparatus on the wheels. The choice is what balance method provides the best and longest lasting results. The Centramatic's method always works, takes little effort, and does not need to be re-balanced as the tire wears (and it outlasts many new tires). We tend to not re-balance our tires on our motorcycles like we do on our cars and Centramatic's eliminate that need that no body ever does. For many years, I have always wondered why we do not get them re-balanced at quarter life or even half life of the tire. Car tires tend to be re-balanced 4 to 8 times in the life of the tires but bike tires only get balanced when first installed on the rim and never again. The lack of keeping a wearing down tire balanced could produce cupping and other undesired conditions. I have Centramatic disks because of keeping the tires balanced all the time and I could care less about any of the other claims made by the manufacturer. If any of those claims are true, then great, I will reap those benefits too. A justification for the cost of Centramtic's..... Consider having your tires balanced at least at "half life" over the life of having the bike. If a shop charges $15 to balance "already off the bike" per wheel, eventually, you would have paid for Centramatics.

I may or may not add Centramatic to my 18. I haven't decided yet. But a couple of comments. I would bet most people on their autos just rotate every oil change and never balance their tires unless they get new ones. And you might check your local Honda shop because most only have the spacers to balance a front wheel. Few very few can even balance the rear. ( good argument for Centramatic)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Centramatics are the only true wheel balancer! Those bead thingies are just snake oil! Don’t waste your money on them! JMHO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts