GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone....On this forum there are all different levels of Mechanical Expertise, me being one of those in the bottom half...I think...So I thought I would start a thread that shows me installing various accessories on the new 2018 DCT Tour. This thread will take about 2-3 weeks showing pictures of the bike and the accessories themselves. My hope is that folks who are afraid to open the bike up and take a look inside will get a sense of confidence....

NOTE: Before trying this at home....Get yourself a maintenance / Tec manual and make notes along the way....

Here is what the bike looks like when fully assembled.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are my accessories layed out...will show each one as we install....tables will hold plastic coming off bike...keep it off the ground

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Location of LED Lights and Switches and Heated Gear

Attachments

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops the wife is call for a date night....

Yes 200 pounds of chickens in the basement waiting to be cut up....for the dogs...feed all raw natural diet...not called Lab Rider because I mix up chemicals...

Will show more pics tomorrow or the next day...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Hello Everyone....On this forum there are all different levels of Mechanical Expertise, me being one of those in the bottom half...I think...So I thought I would start a thread that shows me installing various accessories on the new 2018 DCT Tour. This thread will take about 2-3 weeks showing pictures of the bike and the accessories themselves. My hope is that folks who are afraid to open the bike up and take a look inside will get a sense of confidence....

NOTE: Before trying this at home....Get yourself a maintenance / Tec manual and make notes along the way....

Here is what the bike looks like when fully assembled.
Great start!!!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,563 Posts
I will be tearing into my bike soon...but I'm a bit afraid to mess with the plastic in the cold temps with all the pulling and snapping thats involved and don't know how the cold plastic will respond....don't want to snap anything. I guess I'll wait til late April when it gets warmer

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
NOTICED YOUR DRIVER BACKREST PUT ON CROOKED … LEANS WAY TO MUCH FORWARD !>:):wink2::laugh: THINK 1/2 BATTLE IS LEARNING ON NEW BIKE DIFFERENT CONNECTORS / TABS ETC. LOOKS GOOD ! THINK OF THE "CHICKEN" YA SAVED TO BUY MORE FOR THE LABS ! :grin2: MY NIECE RAISES N SHOWS AFGHANS . GRINDS UP CHICKEN NECKS . DONT THINK SHE DOES ALL CHICKEN

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanks in advance for sharing ! ?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I will be tearing into my bike soon...but I'm a bit afraid to mess with the plastic in the cold temps with all the pulling and snapping thats involved and don't know how the cold plastic will respond....don't want to snap anything. I guess I'll wait til late April when it gets warmer
im in the same boat here. some of this stuff needs a good yankin..

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK...Came home from work yesterday at 5pm spent until 11pm tearing apart and installing... Here are the tools

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Removed Seat / Windshield / Side Mirrors

Attachments

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again Last Night....Removed Middle and Inner Cowling...placed on table for inspection

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
removed Deflectors and Top Shelter .. too many clips on top shelter....not a good design by Honda...I can tell you 90% of the service techs will break these tabs on all the plastic pieces....great tabs if you never remove the plastic components....I wonder if this bike will put Honda dealers out of business when they have to start replacing the plastic because they broke the tabs...just saying....you will never know until you take it apart.. so Far So Good on Tabs...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Moving forward..on a roll its 8pm still have excitement! Removing the front garnishment and meter visor panel

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Remember what the bike looked like...I DON'T...HELP!:surprise:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK...its 9pm...yep still going strong...just changed out my batteries....Installing Fog lights... Mistake on picture I paid $12 for three boxes not $125...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am installing the Homelink and Fog Lights at the same time to eliminate double work...here is the center switch box....note the side silver panels need to come off...I broke on tab on these :frown2: ....very flimsy...becareful...very very poor design by Honda on this component....you will only want to do this once....I was able to save the piece thus use plastic weld to fix it...I am hoping it holds

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Home link box designed to fit in top cover of right saddle bag...too much to take apart for no benefit...so mounted via velcro home link box under seat

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts