GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

Just got back from Arizona, Utah and Nevada...temps outside ranged from 104 to 112 degrees....3800 miles during those temps....I noticed that the DCT shifts harder meaning it is noisier....

Would this be because the engine Oil is thinning out due to the extreme heat...?

If riding in these type of temps or during the summer months should a different oil be used?

Should I not worry about it...the bike ran great...always shifted when it was suppose to...just nosier...

Thoughts

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
As hot as that is it's really not much more than average hot summer temperatures in many places, some 10 to 20 degrees more, and the liquid cooled engine maintains operating temperatures in a quite narrow range in those ambient temperatures. What does the owner's manual tell you? 10w30 for all climates? I wouldn't worry myself.

·
Love The DCT
12,017 Posts
Ok,

Just got back from Arizona, Utah and Nevada...temps outside ranged from 104 to 112 degrees....3800 miles during those temps....I noticed that the DCT shifts harder meaning it is noisier....

Would this be because the engine Oil is thinning out due to the extreme heat...?

If riding in these type of temps or during the summer months should a different oil be used?

Should I not worry about it...the bike ran great...always shifted when it was suppose to...just nosier...

Thoughts

I ran around in those kind of temps last year in UT, NV, and CA. Didn't notice any increase in noise. JMO, I wouldn't worry about it.

:doorag:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I too rode thru some hot temps from California thru Nevada onto Michigan. Just north of Las Vegas the dash readout read 117degrees . I never felt any issue with the DCT and I also was pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your responses....oil change and DCT reset going to occur this weekend......

·
Vendor
17,790 Posts
Ok,

Thoughts
How frequent are your oil changes ??? These transmission will still shear oil.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses....oil change and DCT reset going to occur this weekend......
What brand and weight oil are/were you using?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What brand and weight oil are/were you using?

Sorry missed post...I have the 6 year maintenance free program thus the dealer uses Honda Oil

·
Registered
249 Posts
I live in southern Arizona and use the Honda oil. If you're shifting is getting "off" run the clutch reset procedure. I'm at 14,000 miles and I've done it four times so far. It is always magical. My bike shifts just fine in any weather, but if it starts acting goofy...I just reset it. The reset takes about three minutes after getting the bike to full operating temperature. (I generally do mine right when I get home from work or other ride.)

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks everyone for your responses....oil change and dct reset going to occur this weekend......

one heck of a difference changing the oil...!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts