GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I fill up and reset the trip meter my bike will normally indicate an estimated range of around 245 miles. The fuel level indicator will have all 6 indicator bars illuminated.

Each of the 6 bars would represent approximately 17% of the bikes total fuel capacity if the fuel gauge indications were accurate throughout it's entire range.

By the time I get to an indication of 50% full (3 indicator bars illuminated) the estimated range will indicate something around 150 miles remaining.

By the time I get to an indication of 17% remaining (1 indicator bar illuminated) the bike is still indicating a range of approx 90 miles although the trip meter will be approaching 200 miles.

Just wondering if others are seeing a similar inaccuracy? Seems to me it would be easy for Honda to provide a software fix to make the Fuel Level Indication much more accurate.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes, the distance to empty doesn't track with the bars on my bike either. I usually go by the distance to empty.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i assumed it adjusted on the fly. after a fill up, its calculated using the previous tank full numbers. while you ride, it adjusts to your current level of driving. ie...65mph highway stint, itll show up as 240 after fill up. a stint at 90 with a strong headwind, the new reading after fill up would be 170. numbers are just for example and dont reflect the actual numbers one would attain, lol.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to me it would be easy for Honda to provide a software fix to make the Fuel Level Indication much more accurate.
I work in Industrial Maintenance and it's not uncommon for level sensors to be non-linear. For example the level sensor may be indicating 50% while the actual vessel volume is 65%. Typically it's it's not that difficult to punch in correction factors to the digital controller to correct for such errors which are often the result of vessels having irregular shapes.

Just seems like this would be fairly simple for Honda to do with a software update since the bike has an on-board computer ???

·
Registered
789 Posts
To actually answer the question you asked, yes, my '19 Wing shows similar fuel guage inaccuracy.

So has every other motorcycle I've owned with a fuel gauge, including last gen Wing, ST1300/1100, Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX1200, BMW R1200/1150 RTs, Ducati 906 Paso.

Yes, it would be simple for Honda to implement a simple software recalibration, but don't hold your breath. I don't recall any manufacturer ever addressing fuel guage inaccuracy.

Hoping for Honda to fix this is wildly optimistic.

Do as others do: simply use the trip meter and count down range display to determine the amount of fuel remaining.

Tim

·
Registered
581 Posts
When my remaining miles gets to about 40, Imma lookin' for a gas station. Though like others, I obey the laws of bodily influence - sore butt, or full bladder not withstanding.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Do a normal ~170 - 180 miles of riding with an empty 1 gal gas can. At the 180-ish mile mark, fill the gas can with fuel & take it with you.

Continue to ride the bike until it runs out of fuel. Note trip meter value.

Dump the one gallon of fuel into empty motorcycle tank; note mileage remaining.

Ride bike to nearest fuel location & fill up. Test complete.

I have a fairly flat 25 mile long stretch of rural freeway with frontage roads on both sides. Fuel is available at either end of that 25 miles as well as roughly in the middle of that stretch. Thus, it's easy to move onto the very lightly used frontage road and run until it sputters. Dump the fuel in, fire it back up and go fill it up.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I certainly agree the gauge is inaccurate & it bothers me somewhat since I've always liked to run on the top half of the tank. That's impossible with this machine since the top 3 bars go very quickly. However, just like with anything else I don't like about it, I just get over it. There are too many good things about it that over shadow any bad things. :serious: :smile2: :wink2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think co-mingling/comparing fuel bars and miles-to-empty to assess the accuracy of either, given how each is determined, is sort of apples and oranges. The miles-to-empty number appears to be based on some trailing mpg calculation, not a real-time dynamic number based on current riding factors. I just returned from a 4,200 mile trip and both were dead-on accurate the whole trip except when I went over and back on Kebler Pass for 19+ miles each way at around 20-30 mph. I filled the tank after Kebler Pass for the next morning's departure. When I started the bike the next morning, the miles-to-empty was sky high, while the gas gauge bars remained accurate throughout the trip. The miles to empty number didn't catch up with my highway riding and show an accurate number for nearly the whole tank.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
It is hard to get linear measurements inside a container that is highly irregular in shape like the gas tank used on practically all Goldwings. The devise getting the measurement does a great job of linear measurements, but it cannot translate that into the inside shape and volume of the tank. I would say that it may be possible to come up with some algorithm (or some for of mathematical mapping) that could take those linear readings and convert to accurate volume, but I doubt anyone at Honda (or any other vehicle manufacturer) would think it was worth the effort to make happen. The only readings that really matter are the ones indicating full and nearly empty. Everything in between gives better information by looking at the miles on the tank (reset trip meter on every fill-up) or estimation of remaining miles.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I usually watch the Range. I usually go down to 75 - 50 before getting gas.
It is frustrating how it doesn't match, maybe the tank is odd shaped and they can't get it to match.
My Harley was like that. The shape of the tank affected the fuel gauge.
Yesterday, riding home from work, the range said 94 for a least 10 miles!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts