GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a ride south of the border and the big topes down in Mexico and beyond have me a little worried. I am wondering if anyone has tried to fit a previous Gold Wing belly pan to a 2018 Gold Wing.

·
Premium Member
19,799 Posts
It won't fit. Looking under the bike I think it should do alright without one.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Main thing to protect on previous model was oil filter and then the coolant recovery tank. The new model's oil filter is recessed and a coolant recovery tank failure is not a ride stopper.

prs

Reactions: travel_man

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Main thing to protect on previous model was oil filter and then the coolant recovery tank. The new model's oil filter is recessed and a coolant recovery tank failure is not a ride stopper.

prs
Do you think bottoming out on the Gold Wing on a large speed bump won't hurt anything? My thought was to try and mount one of the existing belly pans because a lot of the frame is the same from the previous Gold Wings. The motor is different and the filter is tucked up out of the way so maybe it would be fine.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Of course bottoming out on a curb or speed bump is NOT OK! "Best defense is no be there". Relatively thin sheet metal is not going to save you from big trauma.

The engine case may be more vulnerable than before. It seems to be thinner by looking at a pic posted on this forum a few months ago. Still, a thin sheet metal pan will not be a reliable help for that.

prs

·
Love The DCT
12,579 Posts
Do you think bottoming out on the Gold Wing on a large speed bump won't hurt anything?
If you bottom out hard enough on a large curb or speed bump, I can see it would be possible to damage the shift motor reduction gear case an the TR and Shift Spindle angle sensors at the front of the engine. At the left rear of the engine, the clutch line engine oil pressure sensor has a thin metal plate that protects it. IMO, if you bottom out and hit something hard in this area, that metal plate is going to be pushed right into the sensor.

:doorag:

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
There's already been damage on the GL1833 and there's no way of knowing for sure if a belly pan would have helped but I believe it can take a hit and deflect whatever hits it enough that it won't damage the filter or case. I wouldn't be without on on either model.

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
Does the DCT have the same boss sticking out from the engine case?
Looks like a flat piece of metal broke the case in the picture.
It don't think it hit the shifting boss.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Does the DCT have the same boss sticking out from the engine case?
Looks like a flat piece of metal broke the case in the picture.
It don't think it hit the shifting boss.
When I looked underneath my DCT I did not see that boss.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
150 Posts
Of course bottoming out on a curb or speed bump is NOT OK! "Best defense is no be there". Relatively thin sheet metal is not going to save you from big trauma.

The engine case may be more vulnerable than before. It seems to be thinner by looking at a pic posted on this forum a few months ago. Still, a thin sheet metal pan will not be a reliable help for that.

prs
There are a couple 2018 Goldwings that had pretty good size holes in their engine cases. I saw a thread on Goldwing Docs about it.

If someone comes up with some kind of protection for the underside of the 2018 engine I'd wager it will become a big seller.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a friend with an 03 trike who pick up a belly pan over a year ago but never installed it. This past October while riding in Maggie Valley he heard a bing. Got back to the house and parked. The ext morning there’s a puddle of oil under the bike. Upon inspection he found a hole in the crankcase. Apparently something flipped up and punched it.

He’ll install it now!

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
4,760 Posts
A wonderful thing is a belly pan; it keeps you from needing an oil can.

(Apologies to Ogden Nash)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought the Showchrome belly pan and once it arrives and I get it installed I will post some photos.

I want some protection from the large topes ( speed bumps ) in Mexico and Central America.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts