GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2018 Goldwing a little over a month ago and keep reading advice on checking the final drive oil level. How the heck do you even get to it? Do I have to remove the right side saddle bag?

Thanks.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Do you have an owners manual? Its on the right side of the rear. Very easy to get at and you don’t need to remove anything

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, appreciate the responses, I took a quick look under there before I posted this and didn't see an obvious fill bolt. I'll look at the manual.
You know, I did read both the navi and owners manual twice, but there is a lot of info of these bad boys. Thanks all.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Takes 3 min to change

·
Registered
432 Posts
The rear gear fluid is an easy change and I do it every time I do an oil & filter change. However it is a BIG plus if you use a fluid pump to get the new fluid in. Very hard to do without a pump as the exhaust is in the way..... Pumps are not expensive so you can keep it for this use only.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it. I was looking for it from the rear and didn't see it. Found it clear as day under the pipes on the right, doh! It was little low, topped it off.

Thanks everyone.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Got it. I was looking for it from the rear and didn't see it. Found it clear as day under the pipes on the right, doh! It was little low, topped it off.

Thanks everyone.

Be careful not to overfill it. You should only add oil to it after it has fully settled overnight, and be very careful not to turn the wheel, because the heavy weight gear oil will stick to the ring gear when it turns and you'll end up overfilling it. Overfilling may cause it to froth the oil which will hamper lubrication and it will also end up blowing out the vent.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Be careful not to overfill it. You should only add oil to it after it has fully settled overnight, and be very careful not to turn the wheel, because the heavy weight gear oil will stick to the ring gear when it turns and you'll end up overfilling it. Overfilling may cause it to froth the oil which will hamper lubrication and it will also end up blowing out the vent.
Same applies when checking the level!

·
Registered
867 Posts
OK, appreciate the responses, I took a quick look under there before I posted this and didn't see an obvious fill bolt. I'll look at the manual.
You know, I did read both the navi and owners manual twice, but there is a lot of info of these bad boys. Thanks all.
Have to laugh. I came back to this site to see if there were any posts on your exact question. I bought a new Wing yesterday. Saw some posts about the final drive oil and went to the bike to check. Funny................like you, I couldn't find anything. Now, I know a little more having read THIS post.
......................hope I can find it when I look again. :surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts