GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mexico ride notes.

We ALWAYS felt safe even riding at night.

Riding in Mexico in the center of the country is all mountains and the altitude in Mexico City 7300, highest altitude was 10,000 feet.

Our only real interaction with the police or military was with federal police on the toll roads and they cheered us on with short burst of lights and sirens and big thumbs up.

Toll roads were very good in most places.

Gas was expensive in Mexico.

Most drivers were very courtesy.

We rode some dirt and gravel roads and the Gold Wing did fine on a car tire.

There was big speed bumps but no problem with the taller car tire and the suspension set to two up.

There are way too many trucks and most had tandem trailers, they stop in the right lane in many places.

There were about 30 tollbooths along our route, 15 going south and 15 going north.

The toll roads had service plazas like in the US.

Puebla traffic and tollbooths were difficult.

It was cold most of the time except in Mexico City. The low temperature was 21 degrees south of Monterrey.

Mexico City traffic was crazy.

Lots of federal police except near the US border.

There was only military near the US border.
There was no police / military checkpoints riding south.
There was two police / military checkpoints going north as we got closer to the US border.
1 federal police / military
1 military

Federal police and military were not sure who we were as my plan was to look as official of something but not scare anyone.
At the military checkpoint they thought I was some type of official and just waved me through and looked unsure of what to do.

We wore the same gear and hi-viz Aerostich Darrien jacket and we had red cross decals. We had lost of GPS’s and other farkles that I am sure they wondered what they were.
Lots of military moving about in Humvees and trucks with m60 machine guns all in battle gear.

Our only real interaction with the police or military was with federal police on the toll roads and they cheered us on with short burst of lights and sirens and big thumbs up.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,728 Posts
That's great, and BIG CONGRATULATIONS! We worried about you, and now can breath easier.

Still glad you're home safely.

Glen

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
One person one DOES NOT want to look like in Mexico is a Politician...One Mayor was today murdered just hours after being sworn in...Did it ever cross your mind for a second that one of those military or police might fancy themselves riding a new Goldwing Tourer and how good they would look? Glad you had a safe trip.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Great to hear your trip went well.

Living just north of the border all my life I often dream how cool it would be to have access to Mexico without any fear or issue. That country has so much to see.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mexico ride notes.

I've just spent the last month in Dover, DE. Been in 4 States and one District during this time. Seems to me that...rather than gas being expensive elsewhere...gas is CHEAP everywhere in the USA! :grin2:

Reactions: mailman01

·
Registered
678 Posts
As a Canadian I have the same concerns to the country south of us
Life is all about Safety versus Education. In the words of the Suffragette Mrs. Banks, I'm in the group that is "rather stupid".:surprise:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Mexico ride notes.

We ALWAYS felt safe even riding at night.

Riding in Mexico in the center of the country is all mountains and the altitude in Mexico City 7300, highest altitude was 10,000 feet.

Toll roads were very good in most places.

Most drivers were very courtesy.

We rode some dirt and gravel roads and the Gold Wing did fine on a car tire.

There was big speed bumps but no problem with the taller car tire and the suspension set to two up.

There are way too many trucks and most had tandem trailers, they stop in the right lane in many places.

There were about 30 tollbooths along our route, 15 going south and 15 going north.

The toll roads had service plazas like in the US.

Puebla traffic and tollbooths were difficult.

It was cold most of the time except in Mexico City. The low temperature was 21 degrees south of Monterrey.

Mexico City traffic was crazy.

Lots of federal police except near the US border.

There was only military near the US border.
There was no police / military checkpoints riding south.
There was two police / military checkpoints going north as we got closer to the US border.
1 federal police / military
1 military

Federal police and military were not sure who we were as my plan was to look as official of something but not scare anyone.
At the military checkpoint they thought I was some type of official and just waved me through and looked unsure of what to do.

We wore the same gear and hi-viz Aerostich Darrien jacket and we had red cross decals. We had lost of GPS’s and other farkles that I am sure they wondered what they were.
Lots of military moving about in Humvees and trucks with m60 machine guns all in battle gear.

Well, to heck with your motorcycle farkling, riding, and endurance talents....I'm SUPER impressed with your BRAVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, it's great to have you back safely Greg!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Glad your trip went as planned. I do not feel comfortable traveling anywhere that my EDC is not welcome.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
thanks for the follow up. glad to hear you made it. was this your original plan or did you alter it, making it shorter? will you be updating your website with more info on your trip?

·
Registered
126 Posts
What is the back story to the red cross stickers? What made you put these on?

·
Registered
548 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts